Starting tomorrow - Dec 26

punchbuggyblue

Whole Amy,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in the same boat as you.

Tomorrow is Day 1 again.

I actually had 3 days in a row with small cheats.  well, one day had a large cheat which turned into a binge.  sigh

But, I know I can do 30 and so I to will be starting again tomorrow.

It should be much easier now since all of my holiday social commitments are over.

Keep it up everyone!

Lisa

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

Glad things are going well.  Last night I felt like I was starving!  I must not have eaten enough for dinner, but I ate some carrots with homemade ranch and I was ok.  Today the headache was gone but I started getting shaky which usually what happens when I haven't eaten in 3-4 hours.  I thought my blood sugar should be under better control now, but maybe it will take a little longer.  My body is so used to having snacks, especially in afternoon, so that seems to be my hardest times.  I ate some cashews, almonds, and olives and my stomach really started hurting about an hour later.  I think I have a sensitivity to some kinds or all nuts that I am still trying to figure out...  hopefully my journal will help pin point that.

Punchbuggy , that's interesting about peeing more. I definitely do and also feel like I'm more thirsty.

I've also noticed my hands and feet are even more freezing than usual but I'm not sure if that's related.

Today:

B:  egg, sausage, spinach, onion casserole

L:  salad and last of spaghetti

Snack: nuts and olives

Dinner:  curry chicken salad on lettuce wraps and sweet potatoes

I was planning on making beef jerky tomorrow.  Does anyone have a good recipe for it?  I've only made it once before but it had honey in the marinade.

I haven't started the "dreams" yet but we'll see what day 5 has in store!

Hi there!  Some questions on your lunch and feedback on your snack.

-Did you have spaghetti squash or spaghetti sauce? I wonder if you got 1-2 palms of protein in this lunch?

- On the snack, aim for having a mini-meal, including at least a protein and fat. Olives and nuts are both fat sources on a Whole30.

-If you find the need to snack it's typically a sign to increase the portions in your earlier meals. Experiment until you find a way to keep you satiated for at least 4-5 hours after eating.

Nuts are considered fat on whole30? I didn't realize that. Good to know. i need to research some good approved non-meat protein sources.

I am going to pat myself on the back for a minute: I was *this* close to bailing and baking a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting from scratch yesterday, but I fought it and won!

I'm so glad I didn't give in. Looking in the mirror this morning, I really noticed my bloat is gone and last night I slept better than I have in a long while.

I'm going to keep on truckin'.

Best wishes to everyone!

Nuts are considered fat on whole30? I didn't realize that. Good to know. i need to research some good approved non-meat protein sources.

Hard boiled eggs are the first things that come to mind. Sardines, compliant tuna, salmon and smoked salmon would be other non-meat choices. 

Out of curiosity, why are you seeking non-meat for your mini-meal protein?  I see by your log that you've been eating meat at your main meals.

GFChris:

No reason really, other than maybe having some more options for quick snacks if i need them. Snacking for me is rare.

Also sometimes i need to add a little more protein to a main meal. like for example, this morning i had three spinach meat muffins and added a hard boiled egg for breakfast since the previous morning the muffins were not enough to hold me over until lunch.

But, I was mainly just curious.

Thank you for your response!

HI everyone - back at it today and I did very well....the treats are tempting but as of tonight they are all gone so that is a very good thing!

Lisa - I am sorry that you also slipped, but happy to have company....no slip ups this time!!!

Plan for tomorrow is:

B - eggs, spinach, mushrooms and avocado (you will see this a lot it is my most fav breakfast!)

L - ground meat patty, butternut squash, salad, avocado

D - ham, cabbage, veggies and dip, nuts

Have a great day everyone!!

Hi everyone,

How's everyone doing?  I'm managing to stick to it, except I might have had too many cherries early in the week (it's summer here in Aus, and they just came into season).  I'm working out everyday, so I'm not too concerned.  Try the advanced body weight workout on nerdfitness.com and you'll see why!  found muscles in my forearms I never knew about before doing the table chin-ups and pull-ups!

But I do have a headache again today.  It had disappeared, and now it's back but worse.  Maybe I'm re-detoxing again after all my cherries the other day?  But I found an okay food tracking site, paleotrack.com - looks at it in a paleo way, and doesn't focus on stupid calories like every single other one out there!  Seeing how many nutrients you get from vegies and whole real food versus what I would have had prior to going paleo is pretty awesome too.

Dan.

Day 8...  I really want a cookie and some wine!  They had cookies at work today just sitting out and it was hard but I didn't eat any.  I have been staying full with all the food, but I still haven't had a rise in energy yet.  I've been exhausted the past few days which I guess is typical and I guess this week is the crazy craving week.  

I had some blood work done a few days ago and my cholesterol and LDH has shot up above normal levels since I've started eating paleo.  My thyroid has been a little higher than normal and I've lost a bunch of weight so I'm hoping it will go back down once everything's stabilized.  My husband keeps telling me it's all the eggs and meat that I didn't eat much of before.  I know a lot of the studies now say that cholesterol is actually healthy and a higher level of LDH is good, but as a health professional it's still really hard to believe that after being told forever that's it bad.  My goal through this whole thing is to get off my medications (besides thyroid) and be able to fall asleep at night without meds, so if my doctor brings up a statin, it's' going to defeat the purpose.   :huh:

Amy - I am with you on the blood work, I will have mine done in January and I am curious to see where things are.  My cholesterol was 149 - and at that time I was gluten and dairy free and ate little meat.   Nice job passing up the cookies, I can't remember is this your first W30?   The energy and sleep improvements come in a few more days...for me last time day 7-10 were the transformative ones where I woke and and thought....I AM A NEW PERSON!!!  I was also SUPER happy, it was awesome, I am looking forward to that!

Today has been good - getting a lot of exercise cleaning the house!  Back to work next week which is actually SOO much easier because I don't have access to food 24/7 like I do at home.

Keep up the good work crew!

Today is my day 13. I feel bloated and look like I have gained 10 pounds. I have a headache today and feel really tired. Even though this is my 2nd Whole30 I have yet to experience Tiger Blood. I am hoping that I will feel better soon. 

Day 11. I am reeeeaaaallllly struggling in that I want something sweet. Bad sweet. Like I still have that chocolate cake from scratch in my head.

I have a fridge full of whole 30 food ready, but I don't want any of it :(

And Tina, this is also my second whole30 and I have not really experienced tiger blood either. Hope you feel better soon!

Hi all,

I fell off the whole30 wagon last night, big time.  My housemate had this gluten-free pumpkin cake thing and it's been sitting on the counter for a few days, staring at me.  She hasn't eaten any of it, and the frugal person in me kept saying "it would be a shame to waste it!".  So I ate some, and boy do I regret it.  I didn't realise just how much sugar she put in it.  And not honey, but refined sugar.  She's not paleo at all, still in SAD-land.  Today, I look like I'm pregnant from the bloat, have no energy, have mild stomach pains sporadically, gas, etc...  So today is Day 1 again!  If I didn't have to be in at work today due to various reasons, I'd so definitely be home on the couch.

DON'T CAVE IN!!  STAY STRONG!! Learn from my mistake - it's not worth it!

Amy - I am with you on the blood work, I will have mine done in January and I am curious to see where things are.  My cholesterol was 149 - and at that time I was gluten and dairy free and ate little meat.   Nice job passing up the cookies, I can't remember is this your first W30?   The energy and sleep improvements come in a few more days...for me last time day 7-10 were the transformative ones where I woke and and thought....I AM A NEW PERSON!!!  I was also SUPER happy, it was awesome, I am looking forward to that!

Today has been good - getting a lot of exercise cleaning the house!  Back to work next week which is actually SOO much easier because I don't have access to food 24/7 like I do at home.

Keep up the good work crew!

Yes, this is my first.  I did the Virgin diet last summer (no gluten, dairy, soy, corn, artifical sugar, eggs) that I felt great on after two weeks but I was drinking 2 smoothies a day.

Today I was feeling better but nauseas again.  I'm starting to think it might be my supplements.  I just started taking a zinc and ca/mag/vit d supplement and it seems like I get bloated and nauseas after them.  I'm not sure or if it's something I'm eating.  I guess I'll stop taking them for a few days and see how I feel.

My kids go back to school tomorrow which will be nice to get back into routine.  I took my daughter for ice cream today and she got my favorite but I actually didn't really care I didn't have a lick.  Maybe the sugar craving is starting to fade....

Hi all,

I fell off the whole30 wagon last night, big time.  My housemate had this gluten-free pumpkin cake thing and it's been sitting on the counter for a few days, staring at me.  She hasn't eaten any of it, and the frugal person in me kept saying "it would be a shame to waste it!".  So I ate some, and boy do I regret it.  I didn't realise just how much sugar she put in it.  And not honey, but refined sugar.  She's not paleo at all, still in SAD-land.  Today, I look like I'm pregnant from the bloat, have no energy, have mild stomach pains sporadically, gas, etc...  So today is Day 1 again!  If I didn't have to be in at work today due to various reasons, I'd so definitely be home on the couch.

DON'T CAVE IN!!  STAY STRONG!! Learn from my mistake - it's not worth it!

Oh no Dan!  At least you found out how it made you feel so quickly!  Pumpkin cake does sound good...I understand the frugal thing, but I had to get over that.  My husband brought home a whole plate of cupcakes last week and I just had to throw them away because I wouldn't have enough power to stay away from those if they are in the house.

Good luck starting over!!

I agree with the group having baked good sitting out at home and trying to avoid them for 30 days is really hard.  It is best to not have it in the house if possible.   For the frugal people that think eating bad food is better than throwing it away - I try to think to myself, eating the sugar bomds is just as wasteful to my body as it is to throw it out.   My thinking mind comes up with a million reasons for why I should save it - someone else may want it, I can freeze it and have it later, some spent time and money to make it, the almonds in it are good for me, etc, etc, etc.  But at the end of the day, I usually fall prey and have some and never feel good about it.

I am back on the W30 train and feeling good :)

Yep - I like that idea about just not having any temptations in the house... if only my housemate would oblige.  She's been eating cadbury's dairy milk chocolate most nights too, right in front of me.  Someone might think she's doing it until I cave...  I've been keeping a stash of hard-boiled eggs and homemade mayo in the fridge, so whenever I get a craving, I can just whip up a deviled egg or two to tide me over. 

But is anyone else a tea drinker?  I've been using homemade almond milk in it, which is okay, but not that tasty.  I've tried various brands of coconut milk and cream, and the taste just makes me want to gag.  I end up pouring my cuppa down the sink.  I've noticed that chai tea isn't too bad with almond milk, but I'm trying to get my omega-3 and 6 ratios to be better.  Anyone else have any go-to comfort drinks they have regularly?  I'm trying to avoid coffee simply because I normally only like it with a teaspoon of honey in it.

Cheers.

ps.  Day 2 (again), and definitely in hangover land according to the timeline.  So slow at work today...

Yep - I like that idea about just not having any temptations in the house... if only my housemate would oblige.  She's been eating cadbury's dairy milk chocolate most nights too, right in front of me.  Someone might think she's doing it until I cave...  I've been keeping a stash of hard-boiled eggs and homemade mayo in the fridge, so whenever I get a craving, I can just whip up a deviled egg or two to tide me over. 

But is anyone else a tea drinker?  I've been using homemade almond milk in it, which is okay, but not that tasty.  I've tried various brands of coconut milk and cream, and the taste just makes me want to gag.  I end up pouring my cuppa down the sink.  I've noticed that chai tea isn't too bad with almond milk, but I'm trying to get my omega-3 and 6 ratios to be better.  Anyone else have any go-to comfort drinks they have regularly?  I'm trying to avoid coffee simply because I normally only like it with a teaspoon of honey in it.

Cheers.

ps.  Day 2 (again), and definitely in hangover land according to the timeline.  So slow at work today...

I am a tea drinker and haven't had any since I've started.  My favorite was peppermint green tea with just a tad of stevia in it and it just doesn't taste the same without which is hard because my hands are always freezing and I want a hot tea!

That is hard with someone who eats bad in front of you.  Luckily my husband has been good on not drinking wine in front of me or snacking on the couch with something I can't have.  My kids are going nuts because I won't buy any of my snack favorites so I won't have temptations.  Luckily I'm the one that shops and cooks!!

Cheers.

Have you tried some different teas? I like good earth spice tea but you need to make sure it is compliant, some teas have soy lecithin or stevia leaf in them. I am out of good earth at the moment so I don't know if it is compliant until I get another box. It has a natural sweet taste to me. It doesn't have any caffeine though. 

Thanks for the tips Tina!

I'm thinking I might play around and make up my own chai tea mixes from black tea and spices from my kitchen cupboard so that I know it's compliant.  And make a decaf one to drink in the afternoons and evening.  Thankfully it's summer here, so I don't really need it to keep my hands warm :)

But day 3... I've gone to the Kill All The Things stage a day early.  I've had to email my colleagues and warn them not to take anything I say or do personally...  and don't even get me started on the chatter-box know-it-all temp we've got at work... talking about how she loves the paleo diet, but then she's eating toast for breakfast and having rolls for lunch.  bloody idiot.

breathe... relax...

Hi Everyone - everyone is doing well, resisting temptation which is awesome!  

Someone asked about tea, I drink lots of it!  My current fav is a Yerba Mate tea - I also drink Roohibus which has a nice flavor.  I never really got into adding sweetener to my tea.  You may want to steep it a little less, I know if you are drinking black or green tea they can get bitter if the water is too hot or if you leave the  bag in too long.

I am doing well and feeling well.  My skin is already clearing up which is awesome.  I have a friend who is interested in paleo so I am talking a lot about it now and it makes me focused which is nice.  Last night I made a ton of food so my fridge is stocked with good things for the next few days.  For me food variety is the key.

I have found that apples do a number on my stomach, I am going to cut them out for a few days.  They are so portable and sweet but the pain is not worth it.  Also, I know I should be snacking anyway!

Anyone cook fun meals this week?  I made a batch of mayo and had chicken salad and deviled eggs that were awesome!!

Day 17 for me. I have only been sleeping 5 hrs per night. No tiger blood in sight. Feel exactly the same as when I started. This process is really hard when you don't see any results. I don't have a scale but my fat jeans are really tight. The only difference between this one and the first one was I was in the Kill All stage for 22 days with the first one. I have not hit the Kill All stage yet for this round.

Day 15. This one is draaaaagggggging. My husband and I both feel like we should be way closer to the end.

I am not noticing much difference either, except I am sleeping more soundly, but not getting enough hours, so I am still tired, but the mid-day slump is getting less and less.

I cheated and weighed myself on Monday and I was down 3.2 lbs, which helped boost my motivation to really stay focused and not bail (I have been really close to falling off the wagon a lot more this time than last).

All in all, I think if I go to bed a little earlier, I will feel significantly better. I personally need closer to 8 hours a night.

Anyway, glad we have this forum!

Well, I'm actually glad to hear that I am not the only not feeling "amazing" yet.  I am on /day 15 and I might have a bit more energy throughout the day but I'm exhausted at 7pm.  I am more constipated than normal and sometimes I am still getting stomach aches.  We have not eaten out at all and I have made all of our food with recipes from online.  A lot of great Food!  The problem is I'm getting bored and not feeling much better so keep getting tempted to eat whatever I want again...

Guys - you are doing great, don't give in now!!!!  15 days your body is just starting to get the changes, ISWF they always say people are different.  I have been focusing on getting more sleep and what I have noticed is that in the morning I am more tired but later in the day I have a lot more energy.  Sleeping is also when you allow your body to reset and really burn and get your metabolism humming. 

I love the paleo food I am making too, tonight will be some shrimp curry....yum!!!  I am going to put in an order for some good grass fed meat to be delivered next week, I am pumped!!!

Stay strong team!!!

Archived