2nd Whole 30--Jan 1 2013

mykidsteacher

Starting a new log for my 2nd whole30.  First was done June 2012 and it was a bit underwhelming and a lot frustrating. Hoping this time goes better.

Allergies to dairy, eggs, cashew, garlic and sunflower. Intolerant to wheat--symptomatic, doesn't show up on allergy testing.  I do good avoiding dairy, eggs, and cashew, not so good on garlic, sunflower and wheat.  Need to eliminate all of them.

Didn't set goals the first time around, and didn't even start a log until almost 2 weeks in, so going to be better about that this time.  Here are my goals:

1) No weighing--I weighed through my first whole30 and it definitely takes the focus off the good stuff that's happening when the scale isn't moving.

2)30 days compliant, no cheats, no excuses.

3)exercise--I'm a slug, I never exercise. I'm going to begin teaching dance in a few months again, and need to get in shape. So 3 days a week of ballet bar of at least 30 minutes, plus stretching before bed every night.

4)Sleep--at least 8 hours 5 nights a week.

5)Moderation--limit computer play and Kindle time to 1 hour per day on weekdays, 2 on weekends.  Electronic devices OFF 1 hour before bedtime.

Day 1 Wrap-up (numbering these according to goals):

1)Weighing--weighed and measured and then put away the scale and tape.

2)Compliant--yes

Breakfast--2 sausage (ground pork, ground venison, spices), blueberries, coconut whipped cream, black decaf

Lunch-mega salad with organic canned chicken and homemade olive oil/red wine vinaigrette; 2 apple slices.

Supper--pressure cooked round steak, tri-color peppers, onion, zucchini, carrots; 1/2 sweet potato; 1/2 banana.

3)Exercise--10 minutes of stretching before bed.

4)Sleep--9 hours

5)Control computer/kindle use--went a little over an hour, but not too bad. Watched a little tv before bed.

Had a headache today--menstrual migraine.  Plus I wanted chocolate.  Tough to start this with AF knocking on your door.  But I held strong. Even when the girls got out the Puppy Chow when we were watching tv. Good thing they were on the other couch.  Supper was later than I intended since we stayed longer visiting friends (another potential minefield since she is a good cook and had peanut butter/chocolate fudge, plus several kinds of chips set out.  I had a cup of hot tea and nothing else--go me!).  I was STARVING and the bag of chips was still on the table from the kids' lunch.  I had about 10 almonds to give me the salt I was wanting, and a handful of baby carrots for the crunch.  Made it through!

Onward to Day 2.  Will be working at the theater today building set, so that might count as my exercise.

Thanks for the tip.  I did forget about the veggies for breakfast.  That's one of the hardest things for me to do--it just doesn't seem like breakfast.  I've got leftover sweet potato again for tomorrow, and I've got some tri-color peppers in the fridge, so I'll add them to my sausage tomorrow.

Here's today's food:

Day 2 almost done and it went well.  Not feeling any hang over, and yesterday's headache is gone.

m1:sausage and sweet potato hash cooked in 1tbsp of coconut oil.

m2:veggie shrimp stir fry--zoodles, leftover frozen veggie blend, fire roasted tomato, a bit of tomato paste, artichoke hearts, black olives, basil, oregano, salt, pepper--tasted like pizza. 1/4 avocado on the side.

m3:baked chicken, sweet potato mashed with a bit of coconut milk, green beans.

Late supper again, starving while cooking, so to keep from bad snacking, I had a couple apple slices, 4-5 baby carrots and about 10 almonds.

Spent 3 hours at the theater working on set construction--climbing ladders, bending/stooping, lifting heavy things and painting. I'm counting it for exercise.

Need to get off the computer so I can get ready for bed in an hour.

Day 3 wrap up (even though I'm already well into day 4).  Woke with a headache and had it most of the day.  Also had horrible breath all day.  Guessing I am detoxing.

M1: hash with sausage, tri color peppers and sweet potato, cooked in coconut oil. Blueberries with coconut cream.

M2:Big salad with olive oil/red wine vinaigrette (green leaf lettuce, broc, caul, black olive, artichoke hearts), left over baked chicken breast, 2 apple slices.

Mini-meal (planned for 3pm to see if it helped the 'snacking while cooking'--it did):left over shrimp/veggie stir fry from yesterday. 2 more apple slices (so 1/2 apple total all day).

M3: grass fed hamburger patty (we raise our own), green beans, 1/2 sweet potato, 1/2 cup butternut squash.

Went to the movies with the older kids and wasn't even a bit tempted to snack while watching.  A bit hungry when we got home (midnight), but just went to bed.  Best sleep I've gotten in a long time.  8 hours.

Didn't fit any exercise in, and spent more time on the computer than I would have liked.  But I did finish up a project I've been procrastinating on FOREVER.

And Day 4 (mid day):

M1: hash with sausage, tri-color peppers, zucchini and butternut squash, cooked in coconut oil.

I feel less bloated today.  Hands and feet didn't ache upon waking.  My ears are mostly not itchy.  I still have a background headache--not enough to take something for, but I know it's there.

Survived lunch at my MIL's without going off plan. I asked her to bake my chicken separately, which she did (the others were breaded, had butter and a little milk (both non-dairy) on them. Then she had raw veggies, cut up fruit, and green beans I could have. She also had salad, but I forgot my dressing, so I just drizzled on some olive oil and salt and pepper. It was so good I had seconds! For supper, I made golden cauliflower soup, cooked up some chicken and shrimp in olive oil and added that to my bowl of soup (not the whole pot), and then stir fried some peppers and zucchini. Had 1/2 an avocado on the side. Man was THAT good!

I likely had a bit more fruit at lunch than I should have, but it kept me from diving into the sweets she had out (cherry and peach cobblers, caramel popcorn and rice krispie treats). So I thought it was a better choice to have the fruit. And I didn't go too overboard, and didn't have any the other meals.  Had a little snack of pistachios, pecans and cherry tomatoes when we were playing cards, again because everyone else was snacking, I was a little hungry, and felt tempted by the other treats.  Proud of myself for not giving in to the sweets.

Had my first food dream.  I was talking with one of my kids who had a bucket of candy on his/her lap (not sure which child it was).  Suddenly, I looked down and realized I'd been eating twizzlers and didn't know I'd been doing it.  I was horrified that I'd blown my whole30 on waxy, red dye that didn't even taste very good.  If I'm going to blow this, it better be with something epic tasting. LOL

Feel good today.  Maybe a little sleepy, but the gray skies and blizzard like conditions might have something to do with that as well.

M1: sausage/butternut squash hash with a sprinkle of cinnamon; golden cauliflower soup; 1/2 cup blueberries with coconut milk on top.

M2: will be caul. soup with cooked chicken breast added; big salad with lots of veggies, olive and avocado and a red wine/olive oil vinaigrette.

Need to get something in the crock pot for supper.

Had a snack of a closed handful of nuts and raisins (not a handful of each, but 1 handful of the mixture), 2 apple slices and almond butter.  Could have used more protein there, but at least it was all compliant.

m3: Italian Pork Roast from clothesmakethegirl; butternut squash; frozen sugar snap pea veggie blend--stir fried in olive oil.

Back to homeschool tomorrow.  Hope the KATT stays away.

Looks like I missed updating day 5 and 6.  Stayed compliant. Yesterday (day 6) my pants were tight.  Good thing I knew to expect this or I might have freaked out.

Not sure I can remember day 5 food but here's day 6:

m1: hash with sausage, 1/2 diced apple, 1/2 diced zucchini, butternut squash, cooked in coconut oil.

m2: veggie stir fry with zuc, orange and green pepper, spinach, onion, olives, artichoke hearts, shrimp--seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon juice; was still hungry so ate a small bowl of golden cauliflower soup.

m3: pan fried round steak and green beans.  (meal was a quickie as I was only home 20 minutes before heading out to auditions for a play I am co-directing.

Not surprisingly, I was hungry a couple hours later and ate my emergency Larabar.

Sleep continues to be awesome!  Although I did have a small headache last night.

Day 7 wrap up:

M1: leftover shrimp/veggie stir fry from yesterday's lunch, plus 1/4 avocado for some extra staying power.

M2: sauteed some orange and green pepper in coc oil, added a bit of onion, 1/2 zucchini, and 2 handfuls of spinach.  After putting it on the plate, I topped it with tuna and a generous drizzle of Moroccon dipping sauce (from Clothes Make the Girl).

M3: Pan fried a pork chop in coc oil--salt, pepper, onion powder, sage; oven roasted broc, caul, and carrots; baked sweet potato with a little coc milk and cinnamon.

I felt the lack of starchy veggies in my breakfast. I was out of sweet pot and squash (fully stocked now).  I made it, but got hungry about an hour before lunch.

Had a few baby carrots while I was preparing supper too.

Day 8 finished:

Felt really good today.  Lots of energy, good mood, no headache.  YAY!

m1: sausage sweet potato, zucchini hash; 1/2 cup blueberries with coconut cream on top.

m2: big salad with tons of veggies, olive oil/dijon/red wine vinaigrette; leftover pan fried pork chop

m3: Creamy Italian chicken tomato soup with zoodles; 1/2 banana

I was super hungry before bed (stayed up too late again), but toughed it out and went to bed anyway. Had trouble falling asleep and woke at 5:45 (1/2 hour before alarm).  Hoping it's a fluke and the good sleep comes back quickly.

Missed a couple of days again.  Just cruising along. Nothing really to report. Except I think my sleep issues are more related to my daily multivitamin than food.  I haven't been taking it regularly lately, and the days I was sleeping well, I hadn't taken it. The days I had issues with sleeping, I had taken it after my lunch.  So I didn't take it yesterday, and sleep was better, but not great. Didn't take it again today, and we'll see how it goes. (main issue is lots of dreaming and early waking).

Eating too many almonds yesterday and today. It's ovulation time, and I get munchy and snacky.  Almonds seem to make me bloated, so I need to lay off.  It's also a semi-no brakes food for me.

Today's food (not going to try to recreate the days I missed):

m1: turkey sausage (yuck, won't buy this again), blueberries, apple, sweet potato, butternut squash hash

m2: (at MIL's)  Roast beef, green beans, broccoli, sweet potato

m3: paleo czech meat balls, baked sweet potato, frozen stir fry veggies sauteed in olive oil.

Day 17 over half way there and so glad.  I haven't posted in forever because there's nothing to stay. I'm compliant, I started exercising this week.  Energy is basically good. Sleep is fine. I'm just bored.  Bored with the food, bored with cooking and chopping and shopping for it.  And we are beyond broke and all these fresh veggies are way expensive.

13 days and I can say I did it.

Day 18: Tiger blood maybe?

Having trouble sleeping past 6 or 6:30 am (which is nice when I have to get up, but annoying today when I could have slept in).  I cleaned like a maniac today, and then I still exercised this afternoon (1/2 hour barre, plus 20 minutes of stretching). 

m1: sausage/sweet potato hash; blueberries with coconut cream

m2: veggie scramble with sweet potato, spaghetti squash, zoodles, olives, red/yellow/orange pepper, and shrimp.  Added some coconut milk to make it a little creamy, plus salt and pepper.  YUM!

m3: grilled steak, baked sweet potato, green beans, 2 apple slices.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm proud I stayed compliant for the full 30 days!  My first whole30 I made it to day 28, and was disappointed I didn't finish.  Not as happy with the measurable results as I am with the intangibles.  Weight lost--3 pounds (was hoping for 5). I started about 12 pounds above goal, so I'm trying to think of it as losing 1/4 of what I need to.  Lost 2" from my upper back, 1 1/2" from my rib cage, and 1/2" from waist.  Nothing from hips or thighs.  Sounds like I'm losing from the top down.  So, not insignificant, but was hoping for more on the lower half. 

Sleep has been hit or miss, right now it's good again.  I do not wake up exhausted (huge win). No aches and pains, menstrual headache was more manageable than it usually is.  Digestive issues (gas/bloating) are gone.  3 meals a day are enough. Habits I've broken--snacking while cooking meals, potato chips (grabbing handfuls throughout the day), needing something sweet after lunch.

Plan to stay paleo, but will relax a bit about little bits of stuff (bacon, salad dressing, that sort of thing).  And will have a bit of stevia now and then.  Plan to also reintroduce some intermittent fasting.

So, how I did on my goals:

1)No weighing -- check it was hard a couple of times, but I stayed off the scale till day 31.

2) 30 days compliant--check

3)exercise--took me till week 3 to have the energy to do it, but I am exercising and stretching now, and look forward to it rather than dread it.  Still working slowly so I don't get super sore.

4)sleep--8 hours a night.  Hit or miss.  Usually get 7, but still dealing with bouts of insomnia that get in the way of this one.

5)moderation on computer/kindle time--major fail.  Way too much time spent on electronic devices during the day. Although I HAVE been good about staying off before bed.

Archived