Jacki - Round 3

Jacki Hayes

I'm waking  up today to round 3 of the Whole30.  I completed my first round 1 year ago with much success.  But I quickly fell back to poor eating habits (although not nearly as bad as prior to the Whole30).

I tried again in June, but didn't make it to day 30.  For lots of reasons, none of which were all that valid.

I'm trying again in 2014 to reset, get my head clear, and finally work toward finding a nutritional lifestyle that works best for ME.

I've subscribed to the Whole30 Daily this time around and am excited to be reading Chris Kresser's new book at the same time.

Plus, some awesome new kitchen utensils and cookbooks came my way this holiday season, all setting me up for some fun in the kitchen.

Has any one else experienced an increase in the pleasure of cooking while doing the Whole30?

I used to hating "cooking" while eating the SAD, but once I did the Whole30 and leaned more toward paleo, I discovered that it wasn't fun to cook out of a box, but put meat and a pile of veggies in front of me and suddenly I couldn't wait to see what I came up with.

I'm waking  up today to round 3 of the Whole30.  I completed my first round 1 year ago with much success.  But I quickly fell back to poor eating habits (although not nearly as bad as prior to the Whole30).

I tried again in June, but didn't make it to day 30.  For lots of reasons, none of which were all that valid.

I'm trying again in 2014 to reset, get my head clear, and finally work toward finding a nutritional lifestyle that works best for ME.

I've subscribed to the Whole30 Daily this time around and am excited to be reading Chris Kresser's new book at the same time.

Plus, some awesome new kitchen utensils and cookbooks came my way this holiday season, all setting me up for some fun in the kitchen.

Has any one else experienced an increase in the pleasure of cooking while doing the Whole30?

I used to hating "cooking" while eating the SAD, but once I did the Whole30 and leaned more toward paleo, I discovered that it wasn't fun to cook out of a box, but put meat and a pile of veggies in front of me and suddenly I couldn't wait to see what I came up with.

Yes, I regained my pleasure and confidence for cooking when I did my Whole30. I hadn't cooked in over a decade: my husband cooks for a living, so he'd do all the cooking. Now I'm happily cooking more often, much to my husband's delight. 

Your 2013 sounds very much like my 2013.  I am glad my eating habits have changed for the better, but better is not good enough!  I remember how I felt after completing my first W30 last January, and I would like to get that back.  Good luck to us both!

Day 1 went very well, even when I realized I hadn't gotten around to meal planning for this thing and just had ground pork, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, and spinach on hand for dinner (which btw was a yummy combo).

Breakfast: (got up very late) was just tea and bone broth

Lunch: 2 eggs over easy on shaved Brussels sprouts (sauteed in bacon grease and coconut milk), homemade sauerkraut, and nut/seed mix

Dinner: see above

Snack:  a couple dates

I also managed to hit my goals of turning off the TV at 8 and being in bed by 9:00.  Also tested out my new orange glasses to cut down on blue light and man was I ready to go to bed within 15 minutes of putting those on.

Stopped at the grocery store to stock up on a few things to keep in the office, like blueberries, avocados, clementines, almond butter, and Larabars.  No excuses for that afternoon desire to hit the vending machine or nearby cafe.  Now I just need to keep from eating all the Larabars in one sitting.

Feeling exhausted this morning, but part of that is not getting to bed until 9:30 (30 minutes after my goal this month) and then having a brain too wired to sleep.  Also experiencing a bit of gas this morning, but I'm guessing that is from all the Brussels sprouts.

Yesterday went very well food wise.  Even passed up a cupcake that a coworker offered me.  It didn't even sound appealing.

Early Morning Breakfast:  HB egg, bone broth, kraut

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs over Brussels Sprouts, 1/2 avocado, & 1/2 bottle Kombucha

Lunch:  Raw spinach, almond slivers, canned salmon, Tessemae's dressing

Afternoon Snack:  Larabar, 1 clementine, 1 turkey Nick Stick (wasn't really hungry, but I knew I would be insanely hungry once I started my 5:30 WOD if I didn't eat before hand)

Dinner: Chicken thigh, frozen veggies, banana fried in coconut oil

How do you handle situations like my afternoon snack predicament?

Feeling exhausted this morning, but part of that is not getting to bed until 9:30 (30 minutes after my goal this month) and then having a brain too wired to sleep.  Also experiencing a bit of gas this morning, but I'm guessing that is from all the Brussels sprouts.

Yesterday went very well food wise.  Even passed up a cupcake that a coworker offered me.  It didn't even sound appealing.

Early Morning Breakfast:  HB egg, bone broth, kraut

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs over Brussels Sprouts, 1/2 avocado, & 1/2 bottle Kombucha

Lunch:  Raw spinach, almond slivers, canned salmon, Tessemae's dressing

Afternoon Snack:  Larabar, 1 clementine, 1 turkey Nick Stick (wasn't really hungry, but I knew I would be insanely hungry once I started my 5:30 WOD if I didn't eat before hand)

Dinner: Chicken thigh, frozen veggies, banana fried in coconut oil

How do you handle situations like my afternoon snack predicament?

If you find yourself wanting a snack between meals, it's usually an indication that you need to increzse your portion sizes in earlier meals.  Start with increasing veggies to 2-3 cups per meal. Also try increasing your fat.

If you're still hungry with these changes (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat.

Man, completely bonked by the end of the day.  Pushed myself hard during Crossfit, although I know I could have gone harder if I had more energy.  Going to take today off (Cindy on the board) because I wore myself out this morning just moving around a few plastic totes.

Yesterday went well given we had a potluck at the box and I passed up even the paleo treats.  I did end up having two Larabars while at work (cravings attached to exhaustion) so I won't be stocking my desk with those again

Tonight we have a birthday dinner at a local pizza shop for my step-daughter.  I plan to eat a meal prior to going and just hang out with the family, but man the pizza will be tempting.

Made it through the weekend Whole30 compliant, although I discovered that I don't tend to eat an actual lunch on the weekends.  I found myself grazing as I did food prep on Saturday and Sunday.  I should have just sat down and had a meal, it likely would have included better choices for me.

Energy level is higher than it was over the last couple days, so I am looking forward to heading to the gym, even if the temp is -9 without the wind chill.

This week we are incorporating the idea of Hot Plates from the Well Fed cookbooks.  I have enough food cooked and prepared to feed us through Friday, which will be a welcome relief when I get home from the gym each evening.

Yesterday went very well, even though I spent the day at home.  

Breakfast - frittata with sausage and broccoli slaw, avocado

Lunch - chili (best chili I have ever made)

Dinner - chicken thigh, mashed sweet potatoes, kale

Energy levels were great, even managed a 100# Hang Power Clean, which was a shocker. 

Dinner was super easy thanks to the Well Fed Hot Plate method.  Looking forward to keeping this up.

I love the idea of Hot Plates from Well Fed.  I got Well Fed 2 for Christmas and it has so many great recipes.  I really need to crack it open and incorporate it.  I am on Day 7, and so glad to get through the first week.  My brain tried to fight me, but I fought back.  ^_^

@msssjenna - my brain is starting the fight now.  All I can think about is stopping at Starbucks for a chai tea latte (which I rarely get any ways)

Day 7 was a bit tough.  I find that sitting at a desk all day leads to this constant sensation of hungry.  I know I am not, but old habits die hard.  Trying to get up and move and/or drink water when that sensation hits.

Then there is the giant zit that appeared on my cheek of all places.  Not a shocker since I usually get one massive one a few days before my period (my sign that it is starting) but this one arrived a little early.  Perhaps a result of detoxing?

Plus I completely fell apart after yesterday's WOD.  Even a little during.  500ft of walking lunges with pull-ups and sit-ups.  Lunges are a killer for me, but after the workout I couldn't focus on anything and just needed to go straight to bed.  Still not feeling recovered today.  I'm guessing I went too low carb yesterday.

Breakfast:  Frittata with ground pork and broccoli slaw, avocado, Larabar

Lunch: chili, salad with almond slices, pomegrante seeds, EVOO, and ACV

Afternoon Snack:  Beef Sticks, Clementine

Dinner: Ground beef w/ coconut milk & red curry paste on bib lettuce, banana

Evening Snack: Date and a mango slice

Breakfast:  Frittata with ground pork and broccoli slaw, avocado, Larabar

Lunch: chili, salad with almond slices, pomegrante seeds, EVOO, and ACV

Afternoon Snack:  Beef Sticks, Clementine

Dinner: Ground beef w/ coconut milk & red curry paste on bib lettuce, banana

Evening Snack: Date and a mango slice

Some observations:

- Larabars are for emergency purposes only, not to have as part of a meal.

- You mention your workouts - are you doing a pre and post WO snack, per the template? Pre WO is protein and optional fat. Post WO is protein and carb.

- Snacks outside of pre and post WO should be a mini-meal of a protein and fat. Don't use fruit for your snacks or pre/post WO meals - include fruit as part of or immediately after your main meals.

- I wonder if you're getting enough veggies, especially at lunch and dinner?  Aim for 1-3 cups per meal, and don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

Wow, okay feeling scolded now. Heaven forbid I have a Larabar when I realize after eating my breakfast that I am still hungry and didn't have many carbs with my meal.

Unfortunately, now I don't feel comfortable listing out the foods that I eat each day as they will be picked a part and me left feeling like I did something horribly wrong.

I appreciate that this was likely posted as helpful, but for me, the tone wasn't helpful at all.

Archived