Cheryl Whole30 Newbie

CherHoyer

A little about me:
My name is Cheryl and I am addicted to SUGAR!
I am 35. I am a SAHM to a 2.5 yr old who has Autism and a 9 year old (almost 10) girl.
My mom had a stroke at 40 (which I am pretty positive it was due to horrible lifestyle).
I want to be HEALTHY not just skinny. I want to lose weight, of course, but I also want to nourish my body. I am also wanting to do a Run or Dye in March so I need to get my butt into gear.

Day 1 of the Whole30 done with (well almost).
This morning I woke up to Matt, my husband,  making pancakes.. UGH!
Thats ok I get my breakfast made, which consisted of eggs, sausage and a lot of veggies.
Lunch we went ice skating and then walked to the pier. The smell of Crepes hit me like a truck. So we turned around and went home. I made myself steak, veggies and a big salad.
Dinner was late because I had to go to the store but I made a salad and made this GROSS "dressing" which was avocado, salt, oil and balsamic vinegar. It ruined my salad so I ended up making eggs and homemade chicken sausage. Also had a lobster claw MMmMM that was good.

I was tired today. Only had 1 cup of coffee (of course no cream or sugar)
Matt told me to start the Whole 30 tomorrow since there are 31 days in this month. But I stuck with it and completed today :P

Mood: Tired I woke up late (from being up late New Year's Eve) THEN took a nap in the late afternoon.
Ate a late dinner and by the time I started to eat I had a headache which I am sure is due to only 1 cup of coffee and eating so late.

Exercise: Ice Skating. My legs and feet are going to KILL me tomorrow. I need to get ready for a 5k in March. Couch to 5k app?

post-37332-0-02083900-1388642456_thumb.j

Cheryl! Welcome! Don't worry there are a lot sugar addicts among us...all who have successfully kicked the habit! Have you ever looked at sugar free Sheila's blog? (i think if you google it, she'll pop up) She has pretty inspiring pictures that I like to check out sometimes when I'm feeling demotivated. She doesn't do paleo, but Atkins and sugar free...still it's pretty awesome how she transformed herself by giving up sugar and grains.

Ice skating sound so fun :) I'm jealous, today was in the 70s ugh I can't wait to leave this island!

Best wishes!

Can you say brain fog? Holy cow. Today I felt like I was on drugs. I ate enough food but still felt like I didn't eat. Felt hungry at odd times. By the mid afternoon, and 2nd coffee, I felt like superman..weird?

I REALLy hope tomorrow goes by better. Today was rough.. real rough. I made a cup of maple coffee, which is wierd I normally dont make flavored coffee but.. its the last few I have for my kcup machine. ONce it was done brewing I thought I was going to eat the coffee and the CUP. SMELLED so good. Im like "O M GOSH!" smelled like a cinnamon roll or something. Spinkled some cinnamon on it and felt real good after:)

Food diary coming later this evening.

Welcome Cheryl! Good job navigating a day 1 full of temptations. Everything you are feeling is pretty normal. Have you checked out the W30 timeline? http://whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

If you are hungry enough to eat something super boring and bland (like steamed fish and broccoli) then it is ok to eat a mini meal (including protein, fat, and veggies). 

Ok day 2
I gotta say I've had brain fog since last night and most of today. I've been wanting to eat more salads but I am having a hell of a time finding a salad dressing, that taste good.

Breakfast: Fajita Omelet (ground beef from leftover taco meat) with lightly fried sweet potatoes and veggies, avocado and tomatoes.
Lunch: Sausage patties on kale served with zucchini, tomatoes and a hard broiled egg. Found a mustard without sugar. 
  Snack: Banana with Sunbutter! YES. LOVE THIS!

Dinner: Whole crab served with baked veggies and a large salad ,which was extremely hard for me to finish. Just can't find a dressing thats good.

Mood: Gloomy, tired, weak.. ugh...

post-37332-0-68855000-1388718706_thumb.j

On the sunbutter, be sure you have the version made without sugar.

For snacks, the idea is to make it a mini meal including a protein and fat. Save fruit for with or immediately after a meal.

Have you made homemade paleo mayo yet? You can make all kinds of dressings from that as a base.

Thanks. Yes the sunbutter is without sugar. My husband called me, while he was in line CHECKING OUT, to tell me that he got the one with sugar. Im like "HELLLOOOO have you been listening to me?" shesh lol. So he had to step out of line to get the correct one. Whew.

I'll be trying the paleo mayo VERY soon. I am going to be making some Italian dressing too. Can't find one, at the store, that fits the Whole30.

Ok. On the snack thing.. what would be a good snack?

Nice job on day 2! The brain fog is a normal process, I was a walking zombie for about 5 days when I first did whole 30 paleo. It will depend on your body and how fast it figures out how to burn fats and proteins for fuel instead of carbs and sugar. If you eat too much fruit your body gets confused and will continuing trying to burn sugar for fuel. It looks like your doing pretty good though :)

soft boiled eggs are the bomb...my emergency snack mmmmm

Hope the you kick the brain fog soon. I've been on my bloody monthly so not feeling much better :/

Ok I'll eat half a banana with the sunbutter, at a time, and maybe half a hard broiled egg?

I recently bought some prosciutto-LOVE it. Who doesnt like ham though? Mmmm Since its hard to find bacon I'll go with the prosciutto. 
Made that for a late snack: lettuce cup, with a small piece of prosciutto and tomato with a little bit of crab meat :) OOh yaaa

I do need to get that mayo made, pronto!

thanks for the ideas!

Made that for a late snack: lettuce cup, with a small piece of prosciutto and tomato with a little bit of crab meat :) OOh yaaa

I do need to get that mayo made, pronto!

thanks for the ideas!

That is a perfect snack! Protein, fat, and veggies. Yum! 

This is the method I use for mayo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

I've yet to have a failed batch (except for the one time I tried to make it without mustard because I was out) and it is super fast. You won't be sorry. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try it myself.

Day 3 Jan 3rd, 2014

Mood: upbeat, determined. Still wanting to eat a chocolate peanut butter cup.

I have to say today was a lot better. I didn't have the brain fog as much. I did feel that I couldn't complete the WHOLE 30 for 30 days but as I am sitting here, towards the end of the day, I am thinking I just might :)

Breakfast: Sausage patties w/spinach, mushroom, kale and a few slices of sweet potato.
Lunch: Cobb Salad as written below*
Dinner: Left over taco ground beef with zucchini, onions, mushrooms and avocado. Had a huge salad w/ my Italian dressing:) and crab meat.

I found a dressing! I found a dressing! So excited. My (late) lunch was a SUPER hit. So YUM.

Cobb salad with Prosciutto, egg, crab, tomato, onion and mushroom. I made some YUMtastic sweet potato fries.
Here is my Whole30 board, on pinterest. http://www.pinterest.com/vanillagrl1/whole-30/

http://www.antihousewife.com/2012/01/the-og-ish-italian-salad-dressing/

post-37332-0-33306900-1388795526_thumb.j

Day 4
Breakfast: eggs, sausage with veggies and cucumbers w/ the dressing I made.
Snack: small slice of crust less quiche

Lunch: BIG salad with 2 small sausage links, cucumbers, spinach, onion and avocado.
Dinner: Chipotle- Salad (no dressing, rice or beans and of course no dairy) with guacamole, salsa, and carnitas. <<I really needed this.

Mood: Woke up jittery and I felt dehydrated. Maybe I am not drinking enough water for this new "eating lifestyle"?  Will focus on drinking more water. I was real moody today. I wanted to snap heads off. I tried to stay isolated but thats hard with a toddler.
Tomorrow for breakfast I plan on eating quiche :)

OH for the bacon problem I bought some pork belly and Whole Foods sliced it up for me. I'll test it out tomorrow and see if its anything like real bacon. :D We shall see... I'll probably have to add a lot of seasons since its just the meat but I am excited to have some bacon (and I can reduce the amount of salt).

Day 5
MUCH better day. I am able to focus on what I CAN have rather what I can't have. I had a few cravings but tried think about something else and it went away.

Breakfast: eggs, sausage small slice of fritata and small salad..
Lunch: Drove out of town so I got to eat In-N-Out, which I absolutely LOVE. Ordered Double Protein style (no bun, cheese or spread)
I so so so wanted the fries but I was good :) Came home and had a salad.
Dinner: Grass fed Beef Shank, slow cooked. with stir fried "rice" and large salad and some greens

Snack: Slice of Fritata (ok ok its all gone..)cucumber, celery with some sunbutter.

Day 5

MUCH better day. I am able to focus on what I CAN have rather what I can't have. I had a few cravings but tried think about something else and it went away.

This is so key!

I would also challenge you to change the mentality of you being good or bad for your choices and instead think about the choices themselves as healthy or not healthy. Removing the personal morality of my choices as made a huge difference in how I see food and the ease in which I make those choices. Does that make sense? 

Day 6!
Breakfast: Omelet with sausage and spinach
Lunch: Zoodles with garlic, basil, tomatoes and some veggies
Snack: 1/2 banana with a dab of sunbutter
Dinner: Chipotle salad with no dressing 1/2 chicken 1/2 pork with guacamole

Tomorrow I am going to make another crustless quiche and have that for the next few days. I absolutely love the stuff. I'll also be making cauliflower "rice" and cauliflower hummus.

Mood: had my moments but otherwise things seemed to have calm down on the craving. I am not going to lie everyday seems like it will be my last and then I go, "ok another day finished. That wasn't so bad"
One day at a time.

I would also challenge you to change the mentality of you being good or bad for your choices and instead think about the choices themselves as healthy or not healthy. Removing the personal morality of my choices as made a huge difference in how I see food and the ease in which I make those choices. Does that make sense? 

Yeah I see what you mean.

Day 7 done!

I can honestly say that today's been almost a "normal" day. No brain fog, no weakness, no moodiness, no cravings, wasn't crazy hungry at odd times...

Breakfast: Eggs, sausage and spinach
Lunch: Veggies with Sausage link with a salad and avocado, sweet potato hash browns, which I really like. I also made quiche to have on hand
Snack: Quiche MmMM my favorite.
Dinner: Taco night. Used romaine lettuce leaves as a tortilla and had a side salad with cucumbers on them and a small slice of quiche.

Yay another "normal" day. Like as if I am not on some weird 30 day challenge. I wasn't tired, cranky, craving anything. Just a regular day :)
I do feel the repetitiveness of the same foods, such as eggs and salads. I will be changing some things up these coming days. I pinned a bunch of new recipes :)

Day 8

Breakfast: 1egg, prosciutto, and 1 slice of quiche
Lunch: Eggs with some sausage and veggies
Dinner: "rice" and pot roast. Wasn't real hungry so I had a salad later in the evening because I don't think I had a lot of veggies even though the "rice" is a big veggies and the quiche has tons of veggies.
Snack: salad ^ and a bite of sausage
coffee

Archived