Day 2, tackling my issues...

theya

I have started and stopped my the Whole 30 plan more times than I would care to admit. Part of my motivation for writing here today is accountability. In the past, the things that seemed to trip me up were all related to social pressure (How old am I? Twelve?) I found it hard to resist that cup of tea my hubbie so lovingly prepared for me "with just a bit of honey" or a bite of homemade cake on a friend's birthday. I especially found it difficult to deny myself a small "treat" after a particularly stressful day, of which there were many (i.e. a piece of dark chocolate or glass of white wine). I kept telling myself that I would start again "when life is not so stressful" or "after such-and-such social event" (wedding, birthday, anniversary etc.) as if the thought of attending any of these events without sugar, cheese, alcohol, or whatever my crutch de jour is would be somehow unbearable. I am now realizing how crazy that is, not to be able to end a difficult day, or attend a social event without a drug (as I believe sugar, alcohol and dairy all to be addictive).

While I don't consider myself to be an "addict" in the clinical sense, as a life-long depressive, I do rely heavily on mood altering foods and experiences to "make me feel better". I am a certified holistic nutritionist, who knows exactly which mistakes I make when I am making them, making those mistakes all the more frustrating when they occur. Based on my studies and research, I believe very much in the burgeoning Paleo movement and would like to tell my clients that I am a part of it. Here's to one more try.

Good luck to you and I can TOTALLY relate! I'm so there with the "stressful day glass of wine or dark chocolate". I battle the depression beast as well and food/drink works ....temporarily. I'm looking foward to giving the Whole30 a go as well. I'm starting August 1st, which is my birthday month so I'll really be putting myself to the test.

How long have you been a nutritionist? That's what I want to be when I grow up ...so badly. I'm 41 and still haven't figured out how to follow my dreams. :)

-Megan

Good for you! It's never too late to follow your dreams. Good luck with your Whole 30, it's tougher for me emotionally rather than physically. August is my birthday month too! I am going to be having this one without cake or champagne, I will keep you posted...

I hear you ladies! I too am an August birthday and battle depression and use food as a crutch for my depression/anxiety.

I think my relationship with foods is the one relationship that has been so abusive in my past and I need to cut ties, move on and find a 'new relationship' that not only makes me stronger, happier and healthier!

Good Luck Ladies!! I will be watching your stories as they unfold :)

Hi Renee, :) Welcome to the unofficial August birthday group. I also have a life time of food issues and would like to see myself with a healthier relationship with food and with myself.

Best wishes to you for a successful Whole30 and a healthy & happy life after our Whole30!!!

Hi Renee and DucatiGirl! It's great to have your support and I'm happy to have people who can relate to my issues. I know we can do it. I am on Day 4 (again) because I had some off-roading and ended up with lots of tummy trouble (agony!). I would not have believed it myself if it hadn't happened. But the upside is that I felt so awful that I am newly committed. Going to my first cocktail party tonight wish me luck...

Archived