First Timer

thegreatswalmi

My wife and I are on day 9 of our first whole30. It was weird at first…I'm a big guy (6'3" 260) and i went a whole week without being hungry. Not once. I ate only because I knew I was supposed to. Day 8 came and with it my appetite came roaring back. Hooray!!!

Other than the weirdness, this has been stellar. My wife is a phenomenal cook and has really taken to this program. The other night we had julienned zucchini (instead of noodles) with homemade pesto (chock full of spinach) and chicken. Our three girls (8, 6, and 3) couldn't get enough!

Thanks for this program. We're loving it.

Mike

it really was great. she just julienned the zucchini and sauteed it (?) till it was roughly al dente. The pesto was basil, spinach, lemon juice/zest, olive oil, sundried tomatoes and garlic. what a fabulous dinner!

also, i'm no slouch :) this morning i diced onions, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and shrimp, covered them in lime juice, made my own mayo (last night) with cilantro, oregano, basil, cumin, garlic, and cayenne…made shrimp taco lettuce wraps in romaine. MAN i love this lifestyle!

it really was great. she just julienned the zucchini and sauteed it (?) till it was roughly al dente. The pesto was basil, spinach, lemon juice/zest, olive oil, sundried tomatoes and garlic. what a fabulous dinner!

also, i'm no slouch :) this morning i diced onions, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and shrimp, covered them in lime juice, made my own mayo (last night) with cilantro, oregano, basil, cumin, garlic, and cayenne…made shrimp taco lettuce wraps in romaine. MAN i love this lifestyle!

Both those dishes sound delicious! Lovely combo of flavours in your shrimp wraps!

I am on Day 5, if you are a sugarholic like me, you want to avoid all super sweet fruit like cherries,melons, grapes... Eat WILD blue berries, they are not too sweet but flavorful and nutritious. Whole 30 is about changing our relationship with food. Avoiding Stevia but binging on raisins doesn't make sense.

good advice annie. i also find that eating a bit of fruit WITH my meals, and not as a snack, helps me to moderate my sugar intake to a tolerable level. I like to have a few cherries in season, so i eat three or four with a meal and it's just perfect.

All the best, Cassie! Just tell yourself, over and over, that this is your new way of life. My wife and I don't even consider eating anything off the program…we don't talk about what we miss, we don't talk about what we WISH we could eat…we just rave over the food we're eating!

Thanks, Mike. Tonight I steamed some winter squash as a part of our dinner. My husband and I have been leading a Paleo lifestyle for 3 years, but unlike me he only uses sweeteners in baked goods. We haven't had starch for a couple weeks. The squash is sweet to me and I find it interesting that my husband told me it tastes like candy. I am waiting for the day when winter squash tastes like candy to me, too! :)

Archived