acceptable ingredients?

JennP

Okay, I have found a site called Primal Blueprint. I looked at the vitamin breakdown for their Damage Control Master Formula, and Advanced Health Formula (leaning this way) to my current multi-vitamin (post WLS need/requirement for life), and they are almost a dead-on match. I wonder if they would be considered compliant as they do have microcrystaline cellulose, gelatin capsule, magnesium stearate, and silica listed as 'other ingredients.'

Found a liquid Vit D at Whole Foods which is compliant. I have also found a B12 liquid which complies. If the PB site's vitamins work, then I only need to find calcium--have a lead--and iron.  Any ideas? Liquid would be best as I can hardly swallow my allergy pills which are tiny. 

• Moderators

You don't NEED a bunch of vitamins and supplements when you are eating Whole30-style. Those who sell products don't tell you that because telling you the truth undermines sales. And taking a calcium supplement may be bad for you. Here are a collection of articles on the topic that are useful:

That said, those you have asked about are okay.

I am a weight loss patient. I had an RNY in 2004 which completely bypassed my duodenum. Supplements are a medical necessity because it is not physically possible to absorb everything needed from food. This is a non-negotiable for me. It is for this reason I am asking about the ingredients.

If you are working with a doctor and have medically required supplements, the whole30 does not require that you change them. period. Dr's orders trump whole30 guidelines.

That said, if compliant versions are available, that's not a bad thing! I don't know anything about the primal blueprint sups. Friends have been happy with this liquid iron--other readers beware, though. It's usually not a good idea to supplement iron without dr's recommendation/supervision. http://www.floradix.net/

Thanks for that option. As I have pernicious anemia my labs are run ever few months. Iron is part of my daily required supplements.

BTW, I was talking to my nutritionist about this, and she has done W30 three times herself and loves that I am about to start it. We have worked together, and for the cost, the vitamins I can get at the office are my best option. I will be dealing with cellulose, but can open the capsules and limit that a bit--still a coating on the pills.

I found a D3 that works. Looking for a B12 to finish things up. The ones I have right now have fructose and sorbitol. If worse comes to worse, I will keep them as I only use one sublingual three times a week and my B12 numbers are always high in the limits. I actually had to limit my B12 as I was having B12 side effects (idiomatic neuropathy, muscle ticks, and extreme fatigue) and I was 2x the upper limit. Limiting my B12 helped this substantially, but the neuropathy is hear to stay. I can not explain how odd it feels for your nose to suddenly "fall asleep." 

I have been cleaning up my eating, and hubby's, as he finishes reading (his work schedule for 2 jobs impacts the speed of his reading). One thing I have already noticed my current vitamins (I uses bariatric specific chewables) are super sweet. I don't even want to take them with how sweet they area and I am worried they will set off a sweet craving. So far I have not had an issue there. 

Archived