Questions about Fat and Meals

JenMc14

I'm doing my second Whole 30. I'm trying to work out a few kinks I had in my first.

1. I've got the servings sizes for everything down. But when it says to add fats to each ema, cooking fats 1-2thumbs, eating fats a palmful, is it ones or the other? If I cook my chicken in olive oil, van I still have avocado on my salad?

2. I work out at 5am. I'm at work by 8. If I eat a post workout meal at 6:00, I typically won't feel the need to eat breakfast until 10. Then I end up eating lunch at noon, is that ok, or are the too close together?

3. Is it ok to combine my post WO meal with breakfast since I workout so early?

4. I often get hungry around 2-3pm. Is it ok to snack? Fruit?

My first one went well, but I got derailed by Christmas (I actually stayed compliant at Thanksgiving, although I used figs, dates and !Lara bars a bit too much to cope). I didn't quite break my bingeing habits, or my habit of taking one indulgence and turning it into a day of over indulging, so any tips on that would be great, too. Thanks!

I'm doing my second Whole 30. I'm trying to work out a few kinks I had in my first.

1. I've got the servings sizes for everything down. But when it says to add fats to each ema, cooking fats 1-2thumbs, eating fats a palmful, is it ones or the other? If I cook my chicken in olive oil, van I still have avocado on my salad?

2. I work out at 5am. I'm at work by 8. If I eat a post workout meal at 6:00, I typically won't feel the need to eat breakfast until 10. Then I end up eating lunch at noon, is that ok, or are the too close together?

3. Is it ok to combine my post WO meal with breakfast since I workout so early?

4. I often get hungry around 2-3pm. Is it ok to snack? Fruit?

My first one went well, but I got derailed by Christmas (I actually stayed compliant at Thanksgiving, although I used figs, dates and !Lara bars a bit too much to cope). I didn't quite break my bingeing habits, or my habit of taking one indulgence and turning it into a day of over indulging, so any tips on that would be great, too. Thanks!

Let me answer a couple of your questions.

On the fats, most of the cooking fat stays in the pan, so you don't really count that.  Use the meal template for guidance on amounts of other fats. Nothing is a palm size of fat. Some things are 1-2 thumb sizes, others are handfuls, and others come in other measurements. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Fruit is not ok as a snack. Only have fruit as part of or immediately after a meal. Snacks, if you need them, should be a mini-meal including a protein and fat.  If you need a snack, it's typically a sign that you need to increase your portion sizes at earlier meals.

What if you did the following:

- pre WO protein, such as a hb egg

- post WO protein and carby veg (6ish)

- have your next meal 4 hours later (10ish)

- have your next meal 4-5 hours after that (2-3ish)

- have your last meal around 6-7pm

I meant handful, sorry. That timing makes sense, but my problem is work. They're pretty flexible on lunch hours, but waiting until 2 isn't really an option. I really need the brain break by noon. I could not eat on my lunch hour, but I am typically ready to, although that could just be my body is used to it, and on my old eating plan of sticking to X calories per meal, I would need to eat then. I could really try to wait, and then just eat while I work (desk job) if it's after I've taken my actual lunch hour.

What day are you on?  I found that by 7 or so my stomach never growled. Like ever. I had to use the clock to tell me when to have my next meal, I was on such an even plane. It was wonderful.

Personally, on workdays I eat M1 at 5am or earlier, then M2 at 11am (at my desk), then workout at the work gym around 2.  I don't get home until 7 so M3 isn't usually until 8pm.  I *should* be adding a pre & post-wo meals, and that's something I need to work on, but currently I don't.  But as you can see, there's a heck of a long time between M2 & 3, and I don't even have growlies.

Like Chris said, if you're hungry 2-3 hours after your midday meal, you aren't eating enough.

As far as adding fat to your meals....  let's say you had a chicken breast cooked in fat (that was still in the pan). Yes, you would need an avocado or mayo.  If you had a nice fatty piece of meat like pork shoulder or ribeye, then no, you don't have to have additional fat. But if you wanted to add a dollop of guac on top your pork tacos, then go for it.  It's ok to add MORE fat than the template, just not LESS.

1. Yes add the avocado, most of the oil you are cooking with stays in the pan and won't be enough to help fill you up and fuel you.  

2. If you don't eat breakfast until 10am on days where you work out in the AM, then just wait a little longer to eat your lunch, maybe 2pm or something...this will also help eliminate the need for an afternoon snack (well that and also ensuring you are eating enough at lunch)

3. No.  Your Post WO meal is meant to be consumed immediately after a workout, it's sole purpose is to replenish and fuel your muscles and body.  In addition to that, you should be eating your 3 regular meals a day.  

4.  If you do need a snack, I would avoid fruit, or at least keep the serving to a minimum and pair it with something else, IE some celery sticks and almond butter, maybe a couple of boiled eggs or other lean protein, maybe some sardines in olive oil etc...

Archived