I just ordered 'It Starts With Food' and the two cook books from Amazon. I'm gathering as much info as possible before starting the Whole30 challenge.

I am currently training for the 2014 Boston Marathon. My training includes running 4-5 times a week, with the weekly mileage going anywhere from 25-40 miles a week. In addition, I lift weights 3x a week, and throw in an additional 2-3 light cardio sessions. I also took my very first yoga class tonight.

I've typically consumed traditional bodybuilding diets, which eventually taper down to super-low carbs (30-50 g day). I still can't envision living without whey protein shakes, but I can try for 30 days... I've also never run a marathon, and I've been reading on what the pros do. They are carb freaks and eat all types of starches in all forms. I know that's not for me.

My instincts are pushing me toward the Paleo lifestyle. I'm hoping the calories will be sufficient. I will read more about it when my book arrives, but I was hoping the veterans here could give me a head start:

1. What is the general macro nutrient percentage breakdown (prot/carbs/fat) for the Whole9 lifestyle? 
  2. Do the carb restriction/nutritional programs of the Whole9 lifestyle and the 30 day challenge support my current training demands?

Whether it's bodybuilding or endurance sports, I know that recovery and performance requires optimum nutrition. Hoping to get some positive feedback from those living Whole9 lifestyle.

Thanks

-T-

No idea on the macro nutrient breakdown. You'll get plenty of protein and fat for sure. However, I do know that the micro nutrients will be way higher than on a traditional bodybuilder diet with protein shakes. You will get high levels of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. :) And all the good fats.

I run marathons (and lift weights and do yoga) and I am not eating crazy amounts of starches. You will want to eat more carbs than you are probably used too though. All in the healthy form of sweet potatoes, roasted beets and root vegetables, fruit and veg of course. Instead of gels and sport drinks I suggest bringing a few dates on your long runs. On my 20 milers I will bring 2-3 dates, a salt pack (the kind they have at McD for example) and water.

Finishing a marathon is such a special feeling. Very addictive, I must warn you. :) Run happy!

Best wishes on your marathon training, Tommy.  Next week, I start training for my first marathon too (in May).  I don't track any of my food anymore so I'm not sure on my macronutrient ratios.  I used to use Loseit to track.  Based on my experiences with that, I would guess my current macros are about 55-60% fat, 20-25% protein, and 20-25% carbohydrate.  I will add carbs if I feel like I need them during training.  Of course, it will be in the form of sweet potatoes, winter squashes, parsnips, and fruit. 

The Whole30 way of eating doesn't have to be low-carb but it certainly can be.  Carb-dense vegetables like the ones I mentioned can and should be incorporated, especially for your post-workout meal.

I don't have a lot of suggestions (how much do you love sweet potatoes? I fuel runs on them. lol) but I just had to say... 

GO BOSTON! I'll be at the finish (couldn't get a bib this year) cheering everyone on. Best of luck with your training. 

Archived