Starting January 13th - Getting Prepared!

sonnyrae

I'm starting Monday, January 13th.  I just wanted to put it out there, so I stick to it.  I've told a couple of friends and my husband (who will probably be my greatest enemy, not intentionally).  I'll be cleaning out the pantry and shopping this weekend.  Looking forward to some great results, though I will miss wine and cheese.  I feel like I have a drinking problem, but I think the last time I went 30 days without alcohol was when I was pregnant, over 8 years ago :o

Wish me luck!

Allyson

I started today...AGAIN.  After 11 days of trials and lack of follow through I have learned a few things.

1.  Hubby needs to be on board if not to participate at least to not tempt.

2. Planning is crucial...check out Well Fed for great weekly planning tips

3. No More Excuses!

Allyson, I won't miss the cheese but my new wine rack with it's 8 remaining bottles of red stands proudly in the dining room ready to haunt me on a daily basis.  This for some reason will be a huge mental hurdle despite less than a glass of wine a day!

Good luck everyone!

Starting up tomorrow too! Last spring, my hubby joined me-- but going solo this time. Not sure if it will be easier (since I won't also be worrying about him!) or harder (since he and kids will be eating things I'm not eating). I'm looking forward to the reset ! Spent the evening roasting lots of chicken + finishing the banana chocolate gelato in my freezer. :) good luck all !!

I am starting today and feel a bit lost!  I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now but haven't pulled the trigger.  I decided today needs to be the day.  My energy levels are awful and I just want to feel better all around.  Losing some weight would be fabulous as well.  I would love to find some support and encouragement through shared recipes, tips and tricks with all of you!  Best of luck to everyone starting today!!!

I am starting today and feel a bit lost!  I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now but haven't pulled the trigger.  I decided today needs to be the day.  My energy levels are awful and I just want to feel better all around.  Losing some weight would be fabulous as well.  I would love to find some support and encouragement through shared recipes, tips and tricks with all of you!  Best of luck to everyone starting today!!!

Where are you feeling lost? Many folks here to help you get started on the right track.

Some reading to help:

- Program rules: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

- Meal template (be sure each meal follows this template): http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

- Shopping list: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

Simplicity is your friend. Keep things as simple as possible.

Hi everyone! I'm starting today as well...just decided yesterday so I have to get prepared today. I wasn't sure if I would wake up and have a cliff bar or eggs - I had eggs so I guess I'm doing this thing! I do have a question. Is it OK to rely a little bit more on fruit for the first few days to help offset headaches? The first time I decided to try paleo I had massive headaches from being lower carb than my usual SAD diet. Good luck everyone!

I started today as well!!

Prepped last night with the Well Fed Cookbook prep plan- def helped and made me feel good for the week.

I got my BF to do it with me as well as my parents- we are trying to cook meals and eat together 1-2. 

Looking forward to feeling better and eating great food!

I had the Chocolate Chili from Well Fed today for lunch- SO good!!

Started today!

Breakfast: Roasted turkey, coleslaw with homemade avocado aoili

Lunch: Scrambled egg in ghee, roasted sweet potato with coconut butter, kale chips

Dinner: Chicken curry with cauliflower rice

I had made kale chips in the past and didn't like them. After eating today's batch, I think I must have over-baked them before, as they tasted bitter. Today's batch was yummy!  :)

Started yesterday (1/13) following the autoimmune protocol. I never realized how many times a day I mindlessly snack. I always justified my snacking because it was always "healthy" foods. Sticking to eating only three times yesterday was tough, but I did it!

I have celiac disease, interstitial cystitis, and hypothyroidism, so I cannot eat gluten, dairy, nightshades, FODMAPS, or soy. I also cannot tolerate many other grains: corn, oats, quinoa, etc. The only grain that does not bother me is brown rice. I relyheavily upon seeds and nuts, which I now realize I have to eliminate. I did not eat eggs before starting this, but I think finding recipes/meals that do not include eggs for whole30 is going to be a challenge.

I am used to waking up at 5am, having a hot cup of water with lemon juice, then making and drinking a 24oz super green drink every day (blueberries, spinach, kale, banana, ginger, lime, coconut water, spring water) . After reading through the book, I realize that is not a healthy way to start my day. After my drink, I would do 45 minutes of yoga and then drink 16oz of kombucha. (Weekends my husband and I walk 5-7 miles Saturday and Sunday) As the morning goes on, I would continue to drink a pot of tea (water, juice of one lime, one inch of ginger, cayenne, cinnamon, and nutmeg). My 10am meal was always a rice cake with a mixture of organic sun butter, chia seeds, flaxseeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey on top and a cup of green tea. Around 12:00 I walk the dogs (1-2 miles). By 1:00 I was always starving. I would eat tuna (trader joes yellowfin tuna in a can) or tjs nitrate/nitrite free turkey over a bed of spinach with goat cheese, lime juice, and almonds or walnuts. This would not satisfy me for long, (although, yesterday I realized that I do not give myself enough time after eating for my body to realize it is full) so I would start snacking. I would eat gf rice crackers, Lara bars, kind bars, and nuts. I would always have a drink of tea or water in my hand. Always. I would continue "snacking" until around 4:00, when I would start preparing to make dinner for my husband and our four kids (I never eat the same dinner with them because I cannot eat any of the foods they like to eat). For my dinner, I usually have another dish of spinach/greens, with chicken or fish on it, avocado, goat cheese and then lime squeezed over the top. After dinner I would eat a piece of dark chocolate or two or three... Then I would have another cup of tea (yogi detox). I would brew up a cup of cinnamon and honey mixed in hot water, and drink it before bed (9:30ish). I would toss and turn all night, usually having some joint discomfort, and wake up feeling tired.

One month ago I went to bed feeling very sick and ended up in the ER with a gallbladder attack. I am not overweight (5'5" 120-125lbs with very little abdominal fat at all), I don't eat greasy/fried foods, and I practice yoga daily, so the doc was skeptical, but ultrasound showed it was gb attack. I have surgery scheduled for this week. (Doc wanted to run tons more tests before removing gb, so it took a month to get scheduled). I am obviously doing something wrong with my food, after all IT STARTS WITH FOOD. I am praying this whole30 will help me through this surgery and beyond. Any advice/support would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hey all!

Love to join the January 13th community!  I started yesterday for my second Whole30.  I did one last March, which was a huge success - lost about 15 lbs and felt like I was on top of the world - elevated mood, great sleep, boundless energy!  I kept with it, and maintained my weigh loss and good spirits through fall when a few personal obstacles set me spiraling back into my unhealthy habits.

I'm looking forward to getting back on track with you all.  Spent Sunday prepping for the week, and have been enjoying my daily breakfast mix (roast ground lean turkey, butternut squash & green apple) and lunch time spaghetti squash stir fry!

My biggest obstacle is dealing with my very unhealthy brewer of a boyfriend.  As a very big fan of anything beer related, overcoming Happy Hour angst is going to be my biggest hurdle.

Good luck everyone!

Hi, I have also joined on January 13. 

I've been eating super - healthy for about 3 years (no quick carbs, no sugar, no high GI level products)- then I was diagnosed with celiac decease in April 2013, so I stopped eating gluten (though I didn't consume much before) and dairy, turned to Paleo. I have really enjoyed it but then started cheating and before I knew it I was eating crap (gluten and dairy free crap)  -  the stuff I hadn't had t in years! Also, my  snacking got out of control - I would start  at 4 p.m. and snack  till dinner, then had dinner and then snack again (hello, nut dragon!). And suddenly I realised that I am not in control anymore. So I decided to join this program, since I was always super pro healthy eating person, coaching anyone who would have questions about good food choices and stuff and I do truly believe in "You are what you eat" philosophy, so hello, Day 3. So far so good.

Hey y'all, I started the 13th as well...going great so far! Not even really missing my two drops of stevia in my coffee either! Came up with a coconut oil/coffee/vanilla latte in my vitamix! I have a question, has anyone dined out yet and if so, can you give tips? I'm just such a stickler for rules, so I'm scared some ingredient will slip past me (let's say butter) that's not whole 30 compliant...would love advice/input. Hope everyone's first week is going great!!!!

Hello! My husband and I also started on Jan 13. It is definitely difficult, but it's getting better as we start Day 5. I defintiely feel like meal planning is much more of a chore now, plus we have a 7 month old baby at home, and we both work out of the house. Any tips on saving time while cooking/prepping would be great! I think I need to borrow Well Fed from the library again!

Good luck to everyone. We're almost to 1 full week! :)

Hey y'all, I started the 13th as well...going great so far! Not even really missing my two drops of stevia in my coffee either! Came up with a coconut oil/coffee/vanilla latte in my vitamix! I have a question, has anyone dined out yet and if so, can you give tips? I'm just such a stickler for rules, so I'm scared some ingredient will slip past me (let's say butter) that's not whole 30 compliant...would love advice/input. Hope everyone's first week is going great!!!!

I eat out frequently, have been gluten free 7+ years and did a successful Whole30 last summer.

What I find works best:

- choosing restaurants with gluten-free menus/options or that cook to order are your best bet

- watch anything with sauces, seasonings, marinades or dressing: all ripe for gluten, soy, sugar and/or non-compliant oils

- look at menus online ahead of time, choose 1-3 candidate entrees that either look compliant as is, or can be easily tweaked. Call ahead to ask questions and settle on some compliant options.

- this article is helpful too: http://whole9life.com/2012/11/dining-out-whole30/

I started on 1/13 also. I didn't post when I started b/c truthfully I didn't know if I could stick with it. But here I am at Day 8! and I am going strong. I am posting because I feel like I've had some major successes that I want to celebrate!

First of all, before the W30, I ate C.R.A.P. Totally out of control, fast food at nearly every meal, but of course always with a thirstbuster diet coke. My diet coke comsumption was ridiculous (the equivalent of more than a 6 pk a day). That is actually what had me the most nervous about starting...removing diet coke of all things. And that's how I know it was a problem. This new mentality that food is fuel. Period. Is a revelation.

Yes, I had horrible soul crushing headaches for 4 days due to the caffeine (and I'm sure sugar) withdrawals. But I just kept telling myself that it wasn't going to kill me and, well, it didn't. Now I'm craving water. What??!?

Also, I had terrible sleep issues. This morning I woke up and realized I had not moved since my head hit the pillow last night. No tossing/turning...getting up to snack with the fridge door open 2-3X a night...Nope! Slept like a baby!

Yesterday was our first time dining out...the forums helped SO MUCH with this! I was able to search for restaurants and suggestions and ended up choosing Panera. I had a backup lunch packed just in case. But my salad with shrimp, tom, onions, and from home boiled egg and balsamic vinegar was AWESOME!

Other successes: Zuchinni noodles with a spiral cutter (holy crap? really?!? YUM!)..also great in stir fry with coconut aminos

Failures: Kale chips..not homeade, from a bag, so gonna try to make my own this week and see if they are any better.

Well, that's my week 1 recap. Sorry for the long post, but I am so surprised by the ease of this! I really think it's that it doesn't have any trigger foods for me. No dairy or sugar = no cravings. I just eat when I am hungry! Who knew?!?

I had no idea on day 1 that I would be here on day 8, but I am. I feel like I have turned the corner and in it for the long haul.

Guest Wheat on Trial

Jumping on the 1/13 bandwagon! Hurray for Day 8!

I don't know if I could do this if my husband wasn't doing it with me. I was surprised when he decided to join, only because he hates vegetables so much :)

After many years of struggling with binge eating, followed by intense running workouts (and ongoing knee problems!) - and certainly related anxiety, not to mention skin issues - I read Wheat Belly and thought wheat must be the culprit.

But I could not give it up, nor all the sugary things that go along with it (chocolate chip cookies are my nemesis).

My goal in starting was to have a healthy relationship with food. Plus, my hope is my husband also begins to have a healthy relationship with food, as he has weight management issues. Diabetes and Alzheimers runs in his family, so anything we can do to start now to stave it off we're open to.

Archived