Histamines?

byzcmom

I'm on day 7 of my first Whole30 and am having congestion and pressure in my sinuses, itchy eyes, and pretty much feeling like I'm having an allergic reaction to something.  I just made tomato sauce and had a feeling it had something to do with the tomatoes.  So, I looked it up on Whole30 website and found the low histamine shopping list.  Now I'm feeling bummed.  I just bought a bunch of spinach, macadamia nuts, pistachios (not inexpensive items), made that sauce and drink lemon water every morning, all things I find I should avoid if this is my problem.  How do you know you have a problem with high histamine foods….just by trial and error and should I avoid them all for now?  I've had allergy testing this fall, environmental and foods, and they found no allergies.  I'm trying to talk myself into focusing on what I can have rather than what I can't, but it's starting to get frustrating, again.

• Moderators

You should generally give the basic Whole30 a good 30 day trial before worrying that you should adopt a more restrictive protocol. Unless you came to the Whole30 already knowing you have issues with certain foods. 

It might help if you shared a report of what you have eaten for the past several days in case we might notice something. Otherwise, I would not make a quick judgment that your congestion and itchy eyes is a result of something you are eating. 

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to do some research for my husband  we think he has mast cell activation disorder.  and trying to find if others have had an issues like he did. We're thinking of trying a low histamine diet for now until we get a certainty of what he actually has.

Until recently I could not eat ANY fresh fruits and vegetables that act like fruits such as cucumbers, tomatoes and many more. (I could eat them if they had been processed) I picked up something called Oral Allergy Syndrome. Link Below.   When  I turned about 15 this came about. Kind of weird.  I lived in Hawaii when i was a kid and ate bananas off the tree and pineapples off the ground.  However with this diet I have been introducing fruit back into my diet slowly and I think I have had success .  Been able to eat just about any fruit without any symptoms.  

http://allergicliving.com/2010/07/02/oral-allergy-syndrome-a-life-without-fruit/

Archived