Nuts?

mkreg

I have come across salted nuts that have canola oil them, so I would say that if you check the ingredients and it's compliant then you can eat them. 

Be careful though.... I grabbed some raw, unsalted cashews yesterday from the health food section of the supermarket and just noticed that these have canola oil in them too  :angry:

msmith is on the right track: nuts are approved as long as they don't have anything else in the mix that is off plan (ie. no peanuts!, no peanut oil, no soybean oil, no ricebran oil, no corn oil, etc.)

I did want to clarify, though, that while we don't love canola oil (and that's an understatement!) it is technically allowed on the plan. If we said no to this one, people wouldn't be able to eat out, ever, so use your judgement when it appears in food you want to eat.

Just be careful how you are using them.  Nuts are not a snack food to mindlessly munch between meals.  If you are hungry enough to need a snack, it should follow the template of a mini-meal, of which nuts can be a part (fat), but should not be eaten alone.  Nut crusts on chicken or fish are delicious, and cashews added to a coconut curry are, also.  If you use them in an emergency because there are no other options and you're starving, watch your portions.

Archived