Questions about FODMAPs

Emily T

I am considering trying a low FODMAP diet, and was wondering if anyone here has any good resources about FODMAPs (particularly for people following a paleo diet). 

I also have the some questions. I seem to react at random to many different foods (for example, right now its tomatoes, all the cruciferous vegetables, and heavy/oily food, but other times its dried fruit and nuts, or aged cheeses. Since some of my reactions are high FODMAP and some are low FODMAP, and everywhere in between, is the FODMAP approach still a good idea for me?

And if you are following a low FODMAP diet but know that Food X (for example, lactose/dairy) doesn't bother you at all, should you still eliminate it?

• Moderators

If you have never done a standard Whole30, you should start there. Most people do not need to adopt a more restrictive approach.

The Whole30 requires the elimination of all dairy, for example, whether you think it doesn't bother you or not. 

If you have never done a standard Whole30, you should start there. Most people do not need to adopt a more restrictive approach.

The Whole30 requires the elimination of all dairy, for example, whether you think it doesn't bother you or not. 

I'm actually in the middle of my second standard whole30. The first was in August 2013, and I have been 100% compliant both times.

Both Whole30s and the time in-between have been characterized by what appears to be random digestive symptoms without any pattern. I have tried with little success to identify what causes my multiple symptoms, and have always come to the same conclusion: I am not allergic or intolerant of any one food, but am experiencing symptoms associated with a leaky gut or other form of intestinal dysbiosis. 

So I am trying to determine if I should eliminate FODMAPs or try the autoimmune protocol. Both sound ominous and I am scared to do them, but I feel like I have tried the standard whole30 and its just not doing the trick for me.

I am leaning toward the AIP (see my post with questions here) because I cannot recall ever having a reaction to any food on that list, but I have questioned my tolerance of eggs, nuts/seeds, and tomatoes. So it seems like a good place to start. I would love any guidance, resources, etc. on either diet. I have been doing a lot of reading online and I am a bit overwhelmed. 

Archived