How do i cook tri-tip?

Johnny M

Ok folks - I need your help. I have a piece of tri-tip that I randomly ordered as part of my US Wellness Meats delivery. It's defrosted and needs to be cooked tonight or tomorrow. I've looked for recipes and all of them seem to involve some kind of marinade. I know nothing about this cut - can i make it like any other steak or does it require some kind of special prep? I want really really simple fast prep ideas. Thoughts?

• Moderators

Johnny, I've never cooked tri-tip, but I bet it is a lot like London Broil. Look at my recipe at http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/03/balsamic-glazed-london-broil/. Of course, this recipe calls for a marinade too, but it is Whole30-compliant. My trick is using sweet spices in place of honey or other sweeteners that many marinades call for.

Another approach that skips using a marinade to tenderize the meat is to cook it low and slow. Spice the tri-tip however you like, sear it quick in a hot skillet, and then sit it on a bed of sliced onions in a Dutch oven. Roast the meat and onions for 2 hours at 250 degrees (covered). That should be long enough to get the meat cooked all the way through, but slow enough to make it relax and become more tender.

thanks, folks! I guess what i'm trying to figure out is can i just salt and pepper it, sear it, and toss it in the oven and be done with it? I've googled and just find similar recipes to the ones noted (which do sound good) and most involve a grill. Was hoping someone just had a quick answer like "it's tough and needs to cook about an hour on low heat or be tenderized" (I made that up but wondering if it's true based on what I'm finding). Maybe I'll consult my Joy of Cooking tonight...else I'll just put in the extra 5 minutes of work and marinate it :)

Archived