first whole 30 - started AIP on January 11, 2014

h e a t h e r

Hi, new here.  I found the forum after I started so I figured I would start a log for support and accountability! 

I am in my 40's and overweight.  I have hypothyroidism and I have been struggling with multiple food allergies and sensitivities (shellfish, fish, chocolate, wheat) for over a year now.  I have done a couple rounds of elimination diets but have mainly been trying to eat well, mostly paleo but with white rice and occasional beans. 

The way I got here was through Chris Kresser's book.  He recommends a 30 day paleo reset, and I was wondering what the difference was between his method and the whole 30 so I got It Starts With The Food on my kindle and decided to start on Saturday.  Did a big shopping trip on Friday and cooked away all weekend. The first few days were rough. I am doing the autoimmune protocol due being overweight and systemic inflammation, and it was a challenge to adapt to eating a lunch or dinner-type meal at breakfast.  Also, even though I had plenty of supplies at hand, I did not have a meal plan and I think that gave me anxiety about what my next compliant meal would be.  I last weighed myself about a week before I started (after some holiday indulging) and I regret not getting a more accurate starting weight.

Feeling a lot better today, though.  I have a plan, and this log, and 5 days down. :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I have been eating so far:

ribeye steak

leafy greens

japanese sweet potatoes with coconut butter - these may have saved me from early failure

plantains in coconut oil

Melissa Joulwan's zucchini soup, cauliflower soup, and bora bora meatballs

boneless skinless chicken thighs coated with coconut flour

mustard glazed chicken thighs from Practical Paleo

ground beef with cabbage

avocado

broccoli

What I have not been eating due to AIP:

eggs

nuts

seeds

nightshades

also avoiding caffeine

and fish, shellfish and chocolate due to allergies

Day 6

January 16th

Woke up before my alarm feeling refreshed for the second day in a row. This is a notable change from my usual delirious morning snooze-button-athon.

Breakfast

cabbage and ground beef with garlic, onion, coconut oil, salt and a splash of chicken broth

half of an avocado

zucchini soup

Lunch

coconut flour chicken thighs

sweet potato with coconut butter

wilted baby kale with garlic

green salad with Your Personal Paleo Code shallot vinaigrette (this recipe was missing something so I added a touch of pomegranate juice and some garlic powder)

Dinner

Pork chops dusted with coconut flour

Roasted cauliflower

Oven baked sweet potato "fries"

Day 7

Woke up feeling good again, did a lot of grocery shopping today. Should be good for the next week supplies-wise.

Found out that the butcher that I used to go to with my Dad when I was little has great deals on grass fed beef. It is like stepping into a time capsule there, everything looks exactly the same as I remember.

Breakfast

Cabbage and ground beef leftovers

Delicata squash with coconut oil

Lunch

Pork chop

Romaine with cucumber olives avocado and shallot vinaigrette

Dinner

London Broil

Mushrooms onions olive oil

Roasted broccoli

Raw snap peas

Olives

Day 8

I have been having vivid dreams!

Breakfast - leftover cleanup

London broil

Roasted cauliflower

Sweet potatoes with coconut butter

Zucchini soup

Lunch

Steak salad with loads of veggies, avocado and shallot vinaigrette

Dinner

Leftover coconut flour chicken thighs - these tasted really good as leftovers eaten cold!

Plantains in coconut oil

Piece of sausage from the butcher - got some accidental nightshades here, remembered to ask if it contained sugar but forgot about red pepper....

Day 9 Sunday

Going to make roasted chicken with root vegetables for dinner, and make a broth with beef and chicken bones overnight tonight.

Breakfast

Ribeye steak

Wilted greens with garlic, coconut oil and a splash of apple cider vinegar

Lunch

Last of the chicken thighs with coconut flour

Plantains in coconut oil

Greens with garlic and evoo

Dinner

Roast chicken with roasted veg- Japanese sweets, Brussels sprouts, onions, radishes, garlic

Romaine cuke carrot salad with shallot vin

Day 10

Bad sleep :( the kids had me up twice during the night and it was hard to pry my eyes open when the alarm went off. My broth came out pretty awesome, though.

I have been fighting the urge to step on the scale, hopefully I will get past that.

Breakfast

Another leftover extravaganza

Chicken thigh with greens

Steak with mushrooms

Snap peas sautéed with garlic and coconut oil and a splash of lime

Snack (oops)

Decided to make some caramelized coconut chips, then after a taste test ate them all. They were that good. Luckily I used my small skillet so the portion wasn't too crazy.

Lunch

Cabbage and ground beef

Japanese sweet potato with coconut butter

Dinner

Chicken breast

Cauliflower soup

Oven baked plantains in coconut oil - first time trying this, they came out pleasantly chewy, almost like plantain jerky

Day 11

Getting a nice snow storm this afternoon, happy that I have soup in the house. :)

Breakfast

Chicken thighs in coconut flour

Greens with garlic

Mashed Japanese sweet potato with coconut butter

Avocado

Lunch

Cauliflower soup

Salad with veggies, avocado and shallot vinaigrette

Ground beef, cabbage, sweet potato mash on top

Dinner

Cauliflower soup with toasted garlic chips yum!

Coconut flour chicken thighs

Oven baked plantain coins in coconut oil

Day 12 Wednesday

Breakfast

Coconut flour chicken thighs

Cauliflower soup

Avocado

Cut up avocado and chicken and mixed it into the soup. Tasted good!

Lunch

Mock cottage pie ground beef and cabbage topped with a thin layer of mashed Japanese sweets with coconut butter

Romaine salad with hearts of palm ( I heart hearts of palm!), olives, cuke, carrot, avocado and shallot vin

Dinner

Beef sausage meatballs (made them while preparing my actual dinner and they were ready first)

Steak

Mashed Japanese sweet with coconut butter and coconut milk - the taste of this rivaled the most luxurious thanksgiving casserole at this point...

Asparagus steamed then sautéed in coconut oil - that was a strange combination, don't think I will do that again

Day 13

Crazy dreams...

Dreamed that I ate an entire salad and then realized it had rice and beans in it and wondered what to do about my whole 30 (at a gathering at my childhood home no less)

Breakfast

Last of the cauliflower soup and chicken thighs with avocado, that was yummy yesterday

Lunch

Steak salad - Steak, romaine, cuke, carrot, snap peas, hearts of palm, olives, avocado, shallot vin

some leftover mashed sweets with coconut milk and coconut butter

Dinner

Beef sausage meatballs

Big bowl of wilted greens with onion and garlic

Last of the mashed Japanese sweet potatoes with coconut butter and coconut milk

Oh no fourth meal

Too much of the pork and sauerkraut that I cooked for tomorrow followed by a couple of spoons of coconut oil

Today was not my best day. It started in the morning, none of my work clothes looked good. I am bloated and gassy, had to RUN to the bathroom at work a couple of times today. In the tmi department I have been spotting since day 8 of my whole 30 and that kind of freaks me out. I was tired and irritable with my kids tonight. Ugh.

Anyway, tomorrow is a new day, I will focus on drinking enough water and eating enough protein, veggies and fat at each meal to stay satisfied.

Day 14 Friday

Breakfast

Avocado

Asparagus

Greens

Beef sausage meatballs

Lunch

Pork and sauerkraut with onion and apple

Caramelized coconut chips with salt and cinnamon - I shared them with my Dad's black lab, he seemed to love them!

Dinner

Pork and kraut

Greens

Asparagus

Avocado

Coconut oil

Day 15 (I mean Day 15!!! woohoo)

Have a lunch banquet to attend today, I have no idea what will be served. I have not eaten any food that I have not prepared on my whole 30, I am not sure that I want to eat any of the food there. I ate a satisfying breakfast and I will bring some caramelized coconut chips and see how it goes...

Breakfast

Beef stew with onions

Zucchini soup with a splash of coconut milk

Avocado

Day 15 (I mean Day 15!!! woohoo)

Have a lunch banquet to attend today, I have no idea what will be served. I have not eaten any food that I have not prepared on my whole 30, I am not sure that I want to eat any of the food there. I ate a satisfying breakfast and I will bring some caramelized coconut chips and see how it goes...

Breakfast

Beef stew with onions

Zucchini soup with a splash of coconut milk

Avocado

I would bring a small mini meal if I were you so if there is nothing you can eat you can eat in the car before you go home. Or eat before you go and just be social. Ask lots and lots of questions or the servers.

Day 16

Breakfast
Beef stew
Leftover mushrooms and onions and sweet potatoes

Worked on weekly cook up this morning, made cauliflower soup, pork with sauerkraut apples and onions, baked coconut flour dusted chicken, pork sausage meatballs, cleaned radishes

Snack?
Had 2 small sausage meatballs and tasted the cauliflower soup while cooking

Lunch

chicken thigh and cauliflower soup

coconut chips

Dinner

pork and sauerkraut with apples and onions

leftover sweet potato mash

coconut oil

Day 17

Well, I guess it is getting worse before it gets better... :)

TMI alert - I graduated from 9 days of spotting to full blown period, cramps and all. This morning my pants and BRA (really?!?) felt tighter. And how I felt when I looked in the mirror? UGH.

I had no idea what a special snowflake I would turn out to be.

Chugging along...

None of my avocados are ripe, need to stick a couple in a paper bag with an apple.

Breakfast

Cauliflower soup

Clementine

Leftover flank steak and roasted broccoli (yum! reminiscent of chinese takeout but better, need to have this again)

spoon of coconut oli

Lunch

Cauliflower soup

Coconut chips

leftover pork and sauerkraut

Okay, the avocados are in a bag. The trader joes kalamata olives I was going to use for dinner tonight had sugar in them! Good thing I had a backup brand, crespo, in the cabinet.

Dinner

Artichokes, kalamata olives, garlic, and sausage meatballs with olive oil and broth over Spaghetti squash

Plantains in coconut oil

Day 18

Getting ready this morning was pretty rough, these hormonal changes have me on a roller coaster ride.  Another day when I look in the mirror and I kind of hate what I see, dealing with a lot of negative self-talk and ugly feelings. :(

Breakfast

leftover mashed japanese sweet potatoes with coconut milk and coconut butter

cauliflower soup

chicken thighs

spaghetti squash

Lunch

Leftovers from last nights dinner - Artichokes, kalamata olives, garlic, and sausage meatballs with olive oil and broth over spaghetti squash

clementine

Take control of the self talk. Your feelings are a choice. Put a sticky note on every mirror in your house (or use dry erase markers) that says "You can't walk away until you give yourself at least one compliment." Habit breeds habit. If all your words to yourself are negative it becomes habit. Start a habit of building yourself up and not breaking yourself down. Speak to yourself as you would your dearest friend.

Day 18 Dinner

chicken thighs edited:oops! had beef stew last night not chicken thighs

avocado

snap peas sauteed with garlic, olive oil and lime juice

small portion of shepherd's (cottage) pie - had to taste the masterpiece

used ground turkey, sauteed mushrooms, carrot, onion, garlic, diced turnips, splash of broth and dash of coconut aminos with a little truffle salt and topped with a thin layer of mashed japanese sweet potatoes with coconut butter, coconut milk and coconut oil

That is great advice, thanks, Physibeth!  Did better today, but I randomly cried in the shower this morning.

Day 19

Breakfast

chicken thighs

wilted greens

cauliflower soup

avocado

Lunch

shepherd's pie

toasted coconut chips

Dinner

beef stew meat

plantains in coconut oil

salad with romaine, hearts of palm, olives, avocado with shallot vinaigrette

broccoli

Day 20

Breakfast

chicken thighs

wilted greens with garlic

avocado

Lunch

salad with romaine, avocado, hearts of palm, olives, cucumber, radish, shallot vinaigrette

leftover shepherd's pie - I swear that this is the best thing that I have made with ground turkey EVER

I went to a viewing tonight for an amazing woman, our neighbor when I was growing up. I got home from work and had a small, quick dinner. Spent a couple of hours at the viewing and when I got home I ate again, more emotional eating than real hunger. :(

Dinner 1

Chicken thighs

Zucchini soup

Olives

Dinner 2

Chicken thighs

broccoli

Coconut oil

Olives

2 clementines

Thinking ahead...

So, I have not gotten to tiger blood yet and I was thinking that I might need to extend my whole 30 a bit to feel more substantial benefits.  I am sleeping better and feeling quite smug about my power over food cravings, but I can't help but think that there should be more (damn you tight pants).  After, I would like to reintroduce eggs, nuts, dairy, and white rice, maybe alcohol and caffeine (I think that is it for now, I love nightshades, but I can keep them out of my diet for now).  My 30th day is Feb 9th.  I am going to the circus with the family a few days later, but I don't think that should present a problem at all, there isn't anything that I would really need to eat there anyway.  But I will be staying in a hotel overnight two weeks later, and I don't think I can remain 100% compliant for that.  Not sure if I should shoot for tiger blood and skip the reintro for this whole30.  Now that I type that out... it would be a bummer to have done all this work and not at least have the benefit of the information I can get from reintroduction. 

Maybe I will be roaring in a few days and won't have to make this decision!!

Archived