Race Day breakfast?

Derval

Hi all,

I have a 10k race on the 21st. Before now, even when eating paleo/primal I would break my no grain rule for race day and have my traditional bowl of porridge (oatmeal) with banana and nut butter.

This race will be on day 21 of my whole 30 though, so no porridge!

Any suggestions of a good whole30 compliant breakfast that will fuel me up and not repeat on me.....

There is also a post race buffet at the clubhouse to contend with, urgh, it will be all sandwiches & cakes I bet!

You don't have a ton of time between now and race day to experiment with different options. This is VERY individual, so the answer kinda depends on a whole lot of other factors:

What time is the race?

What time do you usually train?

What is your standard whole30 preworkout fuel currently looking like?

How important is this race? (and are you willing to potentially sacrifice some performance on this race to try something new?)

Consider all that stuff first.

Do you usually (or ever?) train fasted, or are you used to breakfast in the morning? What are you usually eating for breakfast now and how do you feel afterwards? 10k isn't a super long race that you'd need to worry about refueling during the race, so you just need to be comfortable. Personally, I'd stick with whatever you've done the last 20 days.

Then definitely get a nice sweet potato/applesauce + lean protein source in after the race for recovery

You don't have a ton of time between now and race day to experiment with different options. This is VERY individual, so the answer kinda depends on a whole lot of other factors:

What time is the race? 12 noon

What time do you usually train? 9.30am

What is your standard whole30 preworkout fuel currently looking like? Just regular breakfast at 7.30am, I'm only day 9 on W30 and have been having egg loaf for breakfast

How important is this race? (and are you willing to potentially sacrifice some performance on this race to try something new?) It's very important to me, I don't race all that often. The last 10k I did was 2 years ago and I was really dissapointed with my time so I am trying to re-write history a bit :)

Consider all that stuff first.

Do you usually (or ever?) train fasted, or are you used to breakfast in the morning? Nope, never gone out on empty stomach, not even once!

What are you usually eating for breakfast now and how do you feel afterwards? An egg loaf with meat & veggies in.

10k isn't a super long race that you'd need to worry about refueling during the race, so you just need to be comfortable. Exactly! I will be doing a 5.5mile run next Sunday so I can experiment with my usual W30 breakfast then. I guess I'm looking for suggestions of what has worked for other W30'ers that I can try out in the coming weeks.

Personally, I'd stick with whatever you've done the last 20 days.

Then definitely get a nice sweet potato/applesauce + lean protein source in after the race for recovery

Thanks for your very thorough response! :)

Oh, I assumed that your race would be in the early AM. Definitely experiment next Sunday with the status quo. You may find that eating at 7:30 won't hold you through the race. You may want to try having another egg or two a couple of hours before the race, since you currently eat 2 hours before you train.

Let us know how it goes!

Oh, I assumed that your race would be in the early AM. Definitely experiment next Sunday with the status quo. You may find that eating at 7:30 won't hold you through the race. You may want to try having another egg or two a couple of hours before the race, since you currently eat 2 hours before you train.

Let us know how it goes!

No we don't have issues with mid day heat here in Ireland :( so races aren't ususally as early as in the States. We have to register by 11, leave the house at 10am, so I might try to have a later breakfast...Will use next sunday as a mock race day & see how timings fare....

Thanks.

Your race isn't that long so you won't need much fuel, so keep it simple! I feel fine on a few scrambled eggs. I typically will eat 3 slices bacon and 3 eggs cooked in the fat, for a run up to 8 miles. Any longer than that and I start to get hungry again.

Also I find that a hardboiled egg or two and a handful of nuts is enough fuel to last at least an hour run.

Good Luck!

You've gotten good advice, the only thing I'll add is to try and eat exactly how you will on race day, but *before* race day, so that you can see what to expect from your body! I apologize for that poorly worded sentence... I'm trying to say don't make any big changes on race day.

And good luck!

In my experience (endurance and cross country mountain bike racing for almost a decade), a small meal consisting of some healthy fat and protein (easy to digest for me, such as eggs) is a go-to meal for the morning of an event. Sometimes if I'm feeling in the mood or partially carb-depleted due to training I'll also throw in a small amount of baked sweet potato.

Hope this helps!

Hi all,

I have a 10k race on the 21st. Before now, even when eating paleo/primal I would break my no grain rule for race day and have my traditional bowl of porridge (oatmeal) with banana and nut butter.

This race will be on day 21 of my whole 30 though, so no porridge!

Any suggestions of a good whole30 compliant breakfast that will fuel me up and not repeat on me.....

There is also a post race buffet at the clubhouse to contend with, urgh, it will be all sandwiches & cakes I bet!

Egg also work great for me. If it's a long run, I might throw in some sweet potato.

It also depends what I have for dinner the night before. A couple months ago, I set out for a six mile* run, felt great, and decided to run another 6 miles on one hard boiled egg, but I'd had a carby dinner (before I even started looking at this, so there was pizza involved). A week later the same breakfast barely covered me for the first six miles. (Same pace, just felt bad).

We always at least have fruit at the post race buffet. There should be something other than sandwiches, right?

Good luck :-)

* Can't remember if Ireland uses miles or not, or maybe it depends on north vs south? anyway, for everyone who uses km. 6 miles is a bit less than a 10k, I think 12 miles is about 2km less than a half marathon.

Thank goodness for this post as I had the same question. I'm doing a half marathon (21.1km) in 8 weeks time and I know that I'll have finished the whole30 by then but I'm not just making these changes for 30 days, its life long. The running group I train with are major grain eaters and all eat toast before their long runs (20km) and use carb gels during the run. Are there any long distance runners here with some fueling advice during my run?

Hi,

I have done 3 cross country 15 km (9.3 miles) runs over the last 2 months (getting my best times in all 3) and my breakfast of choice has been mashed sweet potato, coconut milk, with pork or beef mince mixed through. I have found that the mix of protein, fat and carb fills me without issue later in the race and also gives me plenty of energy. I've got 3 half marathons planned and I will be eating that as breakfast for each one.

Vicki

In my big time runner days, I've found bananas, boiled eggs, and boiled chicken to be the most palatable foods for both pre and post run. Ideally I'd probably do banana and eggs pre run and chicken after.

Anything in the nuts department (including coconut) or fiberous would probably set me off.

Just to update on my race. Finished my 10k in 55:44 which I'm very pleased with :) Tummy got queasy at about 7k but I think that was just the adrenalin as it happens to me every time I race.

The buffet after was like an anti-paleo party, lol

a0dfaacc.jpg

0f203f97.jpg

So I was very glad I brought my own post race snack :) I also part took of a mandarin, bottle of water and a black coffee.

64e1603f.jpg

Archived