Starting January 23rd

Faith Smith

So happy to have around a few of you starting around or on the same day as me! Today was my Day #1. I've been eating Paleo for about a month but haven't seen too many changes, so thought Whole30 would help take it up a notch. Really curious (and nervous?) to see how I'll survive 30 days without drinking (my friends aren't exactly encouraging in this area) and with cutting back on sugars, even the natural ones. Good luck everyone!!

My Day 1 yesterday went well but I know the first couple of weeks are supposed to be tough. It seems there is always some sort of party or event to face which is why I've never made it the 30 days before. But I am pretty determined this go round. Hope everyone had a good day yesterday and will have a successful Day 2!

FREAKING SULFITES!!!!!!!  Found some on the pack of my bacon that I ALREADY ATE.  I was so consumed (pun intended) with finding bacon with no sugar that I missed that part.  Does this mean I start over now?  I'm not going to get beaten up over my own ignorance.  This is the first time I have tried ANY type of dietary lifestyle change; so to stick to every nook and cranny of this thing (as long as I know what it is) is my goal.  I have 5 kids so my label reading time at the sotre and online is limited.  But everytime I miss something, I'm going to say (ok, messed that up, won't repeat) and keep going with my 30 days.  I know what the forum is going to say.  NOPE!! Start over.  Gotta tell you that it is not going to happen.  I'm not going to scrape the cheese off of a ghetto McDonald's salad (LIKE I DID TODAY), and then have one blip on the radar 15 days in on one piece of bacon and start over.  Oh well. Day 2 in the books with only one miss.

On a secondary note, does anyone know a brand of breakfast sausage that is Whole30 approved?  Thanks!!

FREAKING SULFITES!!!!!!!  Found some on the pack of my bacon that I ALREADY ATE.  I was so consumed (pun intended) with finding bacon with no sugar that I missed that part.  Does this mean I start over now?  I'm not going to get beaten up over my own ignorance.  This is the first time I have tried ANY type of dietary lifestyle change; so to stick to every nook and cranny of this thing (as long as I know what it is) is my goal.  I have 5 kids so my label reading time at the sotre and online is limited.  But everytime I miss something, I'm going to say (ok, messed that up, won't repeat) and keep going with my 30 days.  I know what the forum is going to say.  NOPE!! Start over.  Gotta tell you that it is not going to happen.  I'm not going to scrape the cheese off of a ghetto McDonald's salad (LIKE I DID TODAY), and then have one blip on the radar 15 days in on one piece of bacon and start over.  Oh well. Day 2 in the books with only one miss.

On a secondary note, does anyone know a brand of breakfast sausage that is Whole30 approved?  Thanks!!

Unfortunately, consuming sulfites is one of those ingredients that does constitute a restart. If it's helpful to your mindset, call it a Whole32.  :)

BTW: are you sure it contained sulfites and not nitrates?  Nitrates are ok on a Whole30.

Today was day 10... It was an OK day... Day 10 "One of the hardest" according to the timeline.. I have a craving for granola with greek yogurt and a slice of toast from the The Mill in San Francisco... Thankfully it is 3,000 miles away.. It was triggered by the posting of some pictures by a good friend from when I was out there earlier this month... Oh well..

Tomorrow should be an interesting day... Taking a road trip with two close friends to the funeral of another one of our friends mothers... We will be traveling during lunch time and I have no doubt they will want to stop at a non-compliant fast food joint. So I am planning on taking some compliant food with me. Thinking some shredded chicken, sweet potato and steamed veggies.. All things that I can eat cold and enjoy LOL... I just have to remain strong! :) 

Good stuff CP.  I'm making some complaint sausage tomorrow.  Had a GINORMOUS Grilled chicken, bacon, pepper, tomato salad today topped with some homemade mayo.  Yummy. 

My biggest challenge comes a week from today when I take my wife for a weekend getaway.  Staying in a cottage.  No fridges, almost exclusively dining out.  Going to be tough.  Probably should ahve waited until I got back to start!!! :-)  We'll see what happens.

My biggest challenge comes a week from today when I take my wife for a weekend getaway.  Staying in a cottage.  No fridges, almost exclusively dining out.  Going to be tough.  Probably should ahve waited until I got back to start!!! :-)  We'll see what happens.

Here's a Whole9 article to navigating restaurants that may help you: http://whole9life.com/2012/11/dining-out-whole30/

Good look tarheelpo!!

Today was a not so successful eating out trip for me... Convinced the group to head to five guys since I knew I could get some compliant food there as a burger sounded good! Burger was overcooked :( As well as it turns out I consumed part of a pickle and some unsweetened tea... Pickle was not part of my request of lettuce tomato no bun but it was hidden in there... Cups got mixed up at the table and grabbed the wrong one and and swallowed some before excusing myself to spit the rest of it out since I was not sure what kind it was or if it was compliant.. Ended up with a headache on the drive home.. Ugh.. So I think I am going to add an extra day into my whole 30... Not really sure, beating myself up for not checking my order before diving into it and for not making sure which cup was mine.  I was hungry since it was 2pm and I had Meal 1 at 8am... I brought some carrots and celery into five guys with me and munched on those and had a banana and some almonds before we left but it wasn't enough veggie wise to hold me over and ended up eating an apple cinnamon RX bar during the drive back since I had to finish the drive and then some grocery shopping and errands before heading home. 

Oh well tis life... Things happen... Trying not to let it get to me but its hard since I have a headache to pay for today.. Which is interesting since I am not sure what caused it, the half of the sliced pickle, the sip of tea, or the stress/emotion of the day.. 

I'm thinking about your scenario and it's stressing me out. Again, I'm all for those who want to go hung ho W30 and not have one milligram of the wrong thing get in their bodies. I get it. But again life is too short to stress out (could be debated- the self imposed stress is worse for you than drinking a whole gallon of that tea). Again this just me and may make the mods upset but, I'm going to do everything I can to try and eat according to the program; BUT if I happen to eat one cheezit or bite of bread, or find that my burger was seasoned with soy lecithin BY ACCIDENT, I'm not resetting my plan. Isn't W30 about eating better overall and not stressing out to get it exactly right? I could be totally wrong. Good luck to you as well!! :-)

I'm confused why unsweetened tea is a problem. I wouldn't worry about the pickle personally.

Accidentally eating something off plan only requires a reset if it is a common stomach irritant but things like sugar don't. Instead of resetting we often just ask you tack on some extra days before doing reintroductions. This isn't to be mean, it is to make sure you get the best results from your 30 days and have a clean tummy to properly test things with.

However willful cheating we always ask you to reset. This is because part of the program is changing your attitudes and behaviors towards food. 30 days really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. Going 30 days without one cheezit or a bite of bread is about teaching yourself that you are in control of your food not the other way around. Of course both of those example fall under the eating a common stomach irritant example as well. 

Ultimately it is your journey. Like I said we are not trying to be jerks...we are trying to make sure you have the best journey you possibly can.

Tarhelpo- I am sorry I did not mean to stress you out. Ironically enough my Whole30 daily email today for Day 12 was about stress. You were 100% right, I was stressing over something that I should have just let go. My type A personality is very "gotta do this right" and I had been feeling so good about my journey that I let a small slip up get into my head. I woke up this morning feeling great and read the daily email and did some reflection. I did not choose to eat the cheeseburger with the bun, I did not choose to eat the fries. I did make a good choice and an accident happened. I think the exhaustion and headache were only making me stress more since I did not feel well. Today, looking back at it, I got worked up over something that was out of my control since I did make the appropriate choices. If it is the worst thing that happens during my Whole30, I will be in good shape.

Indeed, Whole30 is about overall eating better! :) I know that each time I make a good choice I feel good about it. I honestly haven't felt this good in a long time and my diet was clean/paleo 80% of the time before.. 

Physibeth- The unsweetened tea concerned me knowing how many various types of herbal tea I gave away because of the soy lecithin that was listed on the label. Adding another day is def something that I can do :) It has def been a good journey so far and I am looking forward to the remainder of it! :) 

CP-  LOL!  You weren't streesing me out ilterally.  I was just saying that all that worrying would stress me out. 

I haven't seen alot of change with me personally except I may be a bit grumpier than normal.  I almost said to heck with the whole thing last night as I'm eating different meals than the rest of the family and it's very isolating.  My wife wants to try some new non whole 30 kinds of recipes from cook's kitchen and cook's illustrated but doesn't want to eat them alone.  Couple that with an upcoming trip where I want to go relax and not worry about looking at the allergy menu every time I turn around is weighing on me.

I have enjoyed reading the posts. I personally am having to restart after Day 8 because of eating noncompliant foods. Super Bowl party was just tough, but I am determined to take this all the way so restarting up today. I, like many others on these forums, have strong perfectionistic tendencies which can be good in keeping me on the pathway but I also mentally beat myself up after a slipup. However, 8 days without a slipup was very good for me and not something I have been able to do before. My sleep improved almost immediately which has been a huge concern for me. That in itself is very motivating to stay on plan. I have tried to convince myself that the good things are worth staying upbeat over, but I did find myself during those 8 days almost feeling a bit depressed because I have a strong suspicion I need to eat this way for life. Sugar is a real problem for me and like someone said earlier whatever it is you have such a hard time giving up is exactly what you need to give up for 30 days. But I think for me it will have to stick beyond the 30 days. Despite the havoc sugar wreaks on my health, my sleep, etc., it feels like a loss. Silly thinking, but it's there nonetheless.

I have enjoyed reading the posts. I personally am having to restart after Day 8 because of eating noncompliant foods. Super Bowl party was just tough, but I am determined to take this all the way so restarting up today. I, like many others on these forums, have strong perfectionistic tendencies which can be good in keeping me on the pathway but I also mentally beat myself up after a slipup. However, 8 days without a slipup was very good for me and not something I have been able to do before. My sleep improved almost immediately which has been a huge concern for me. That in itself is very motivating to stay on plan. I have tried to convince myself that the good things are worth staying upbeat over, but I did find myself during those 8 days almost feeling a bit depressed because I have a strong suspicion I need to eat this way for life. Sugar is a real problem for me and like someone said earlier whatever it is you have such a hard time giving up is exactly what you need to give up for 30 days. But I think for me it will have to stick beyond the 30 days. Despite the havoc sugar wreaks on my health, my sleep, etc., it feels like a loss. Silly thinking, but it's there nonetheless.

Joyce- I totally understand the feeling of loss... I suspected before my Whole30 that it was sugar that was causing me headaches, as I started to notice them around the holidays before my Whole30. Specifically after drinking a cup of swiss miss hot coco or even eating some Whole Foods tiramisu. I have always battled with cravings for sweet things... I have had a sweet tooth for as long as I can remember. So these past 14 days of no sugar have been hard but I am determined to overcome them even if my pants are tighter today. I did not attend any super bowl parties on Sunday knowing that the temptation would be so high. I feel that I have kind of become a recluse over the past two weeks as I am the only one in my family or friends doing a Whole30. So this has added more to the struggle I think since they are "understanding" but at the same time not so much. 

We can do this! We just have to trust the process! That is what I keep telling myself even though I share the same feeling of loss and am discouraged by the tighter pants this morning. As weightloss was not a specific goal of mine but very much in the back of my mind. As I gained a bit over the holidays, which I was working on loosing. However, gaining more would be something that I will struggle with considering that I was 250 at my heaviest and had lost over 100 pounds with hard work and clean eating over the course of 2 years. Granted it was only about a 93 pound loss when I weighed myself on Day 0 of whole30... So we shall see...

Archived