Introduction and Slow Gear up for 10th Feb Start

FauxAngel

Hi, I guess a mini introduction is the easiest place to start... My name is Sarah, I'm 23, I live in Sydney Australia. I was sick a lot as a child and was tested for food allergies etc with no resolution. As a teenager it got worse, a lot worse. After being in and out of hospital three times in 8 months I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant. This didn't help as even eating gluten free I wasn't any better. Finally January last year at 22 I had a gastroenerologist actually listen to me and run full tests confirming I have IBS. I have worked with a nutritionist on a low fodmap diet which has helped but not solved my problems. I have identified certain foods I am very sensitive to including gluten, dairy, and certain fruits and vegetables, and legumes. But even without eating these things I find I am still not quite right? I believe in being holistic and that my mind cannot be at ease or function properly while my body is not at peace. I would like to try paleo or a variation on it to see if this will help to restore the balance and eventually energy and peace to my life and thought whole30 would be a good way to kick start this. I've just read through the recommended thread and reserved several of the books from my uni library but any and all advice would be most welcome. 

Kind regards and thank you in advance, Sarah.

Hi Sarah,

I don't have any specific advice, but I'm sorry to hear that you've been suffering like this for your whole life!  I can't imagine.  I hope that working through the Whole30 will give you some insight.  I know there are a lot of people on here who've found out a lot about their intolerances and things that are keeping them from feeling like they want to feel.

I'm interested in hearing how you start to feel when on the program.  Why are you waiting until the 10th to start?

Hi Jenny, thank you for the reply! I am hoping I cant sort my-self out too. I am waiting for 10/2 as I will need to stock up on good foods and snacks and my next pay day is 7/2 so not much I can do till then. I am incorporating the ideas as best I can with what I have for the time being. I also have to consider the people I live with (and their general inability to cope with changes to food). 

Welcome to the Whole30! Here are a couple of links that will help you if you have not seen them already: Step by Step Program Intro and the Meal Planning Template

If you can get your hands on It Starts With Food that is good. 

Other great W30 resources are http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/,%C2'>

Along with the template keep in mind snacking is not part of W30. We ideally want you to eat 3 template meals a day. You can have pre/post workout meals as well if you need them. If you are hungry between meals you can have a mini meal (protein, fat, veg). 

Planning ahead will set you up well! I highly recommend putting the rules and the template on your fridge.

Thanks Beth! I have read through everything a few times and have already taped the important stuff to the fridge! I've oddly got great support for the idea at home so will be able to start tomorrow rather than needing to wait nearly another two weeks!!! 

I am beginning on Feb 10 as well, after I have time to finish the book and prepare my home! My husband has agreed to conform to some of the perimeters but hasn't gotten on board with the whole philosophy. I am hoping that he will once I finish the book and get him to read it. 

i have only just got the book a few days ago, but was hoping to start sometime this coming week, is it important to actually read the book first ?   before starting program ?

Here are the most important things to read before starting:

- The Whole30 program rules: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

- The meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

- The "Can I Have? Guide": http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Make your way through the book as you can.

Archived