Faith's Whole 30 Journey

faithb63

Day 19! It has been a crazy busy day - so short post.

Yesterday I had spinach casserole for breakfast with a peach. For lunch my SO made the best pork ribs I ever put in my mouth - good grief they were good. I made salad and sweet potato medallions to go along with them. We served berries along with it. We actually had company for lunch, a very dear friend who loved our Whole 30 lunch. Dinner was left overs.

Everything is still going great.

Adios for today my Whole 30 Amigos :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! Well I guess so, your company loved your W30 meal... servin' up bbq pork ribs'n all!! I loved it, and I wasn't even there. Once again Faith, I'm sure I'll be enjoying another of your meal ideas.. maybe I'll look up the fritter recipe too!!

Thanks, and have a great day!

Those spare ribs were really easy, Lola... use your fave meat rub on the ribs, (I used the recipe from The Paleo Comfort Food cookbook) then put them in some foil. Wrap them loosely, sealed all around, so there's room for the foil to puff out while keeping in the steam and juices, then let it sit in the fridge overnight. Pop in the oven at 350 degrees for 3 hours or so and then prepare to be amazed at the result!

Day 20! Where has the time gone.

My doctor has been monitoring me while I am on the Whole 30. So, I have been emailing weekly reports of my blood pressure and glucose. They are telling me to keep up the good work. They are as amazed as I am at the results I am getting. Today both blood sugar and blood pressure are holding steady.

Let's see yesterday breakfast was a small breakfast steak, a fried egg, and berries. For lunch I made Garum Masala chicken legs. The original recipe came from the Paleo magazine, I have changed them up a bit. Following is the recipe. They are something I do quite often because they make an easy meal and are go for lunch on the go.

Garum Masala Baked Chicken Legs

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Brush cookie sheet with olive oil.
  3. Lay chicken legs out on sheet.
  4. Sprinkle liberally with Garum Masala. Add Garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper to taste.
  5. Bake in oven for 35 to 40 minutes.

If you have never had Garum Masala spice before you will love it. I make a bunch of legs at once and store the remainder in the fridge.

For supper we had some beef stir fry that my SO made with spices, broccoli, onions, mushrooms, and coconut aminos. It was great. For some reason yesterday I was starving. So, I did have a few nuts mid day with some coconut flakes.

I am feeling good today. All is well.

Have a fabulous day! :rolleyes:

Mmmm, Kaye, all I can think about are spare ribs.. now I'm wondering if the steak rub in ISWF, with the cocoa and ground coffee would work on pork ribs... maybe I'll just try it and find out!!

I agree Faith, becoming more invested in the process is definitely a bonus for staying on course. I did find garam masala spice at my local grocery store, but there were some funky ingredients that I wasn't sure about(OMG, I just realised that I'm officially an ingredients reader! Thank you W30!!), so I didn't buy it.

I'm happy that all is well with you.. have a great day!

Whew! :huh: Okay I get my Garum Masala at Whole Foods. It is strictly spices, which include Coriander, Cardamom, Cinnamon, and Black Pepper. I thought it was just spice but I wanted to make sure.

I feel better now. I have been so careful to be completely compliant that scared me! :rolleyes:

awe, I'm sorry Faith, I didn't mean to scare you!! I wasn't surprised that the one I found had added ingredients that were non-W30 compliat. When I was cleaning out my pantry, all of the spices that had to go were from the same brand... I just need to keep looking for a better brand!! Though I may just make it myself, I think there is a recipe in Well Fed...

Day 21! wow - 3 weeks! I am still in shock that I have made it this long.

No worries Lola - I recover quickly! :D

Ren - We love to cook in the crock pot. I made a roast chicken in there last week. Don't worry the Garum Masala is fine as long as you make sure it is just spices you are getting.

I made an awesome breakfast yesterday. Sausage, scrambled eggs, sliced tomatoes, avocado, and grapefruit. For lunch we had Garum Masala Chicken, pickle spears, olives, and assorted veggies. For dinner I made my grandmother's Hamburger Soup. I love that stuff. I have to change it up a little to make it Whole 30 compliant but it turned out great.

Gigi's Hamburger Soup

1 1/2 pounds of ground beef

2 cups of beef or chicken stock

2 Tbsp olive oil

4 cups of water

1 can organic tomato sauce

1 can organic diced tomatoes (I use Muir Glen)

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 onion, chopped

1 red, green or yellow bell pepper or combination

1/2 cup of green chilies (you can used 1 small can of green chilies) I used roasted Hatch Green Chilies because they are in season.

3 celery stalks, sliced

3 carrots, sliced

1 zucchini, chopped

1 cup mushrooms, chopped

1 bag frozen green beans

1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced

1 Tbsp, fresh chives, minced

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp sea salt

2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp oregano

- In large stew pot brown ground beef in olive oil

- Add onions, garlic, and bell peppers until tender

- Add all spices

- Add mushrooms and zucchini until tender

- Add water, beef stock, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes

- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil

- Turn down heat and simmer for 90 minutes

I know it is alot of ingredients but it is yummy!! My grandmother always said you could put anything you had in the house in it. She used to use V8 juice in it which of course we cannot on Whole 30. So I added the tomato sauce.

Blood pressure was 107/58 and blood sugar 109 - doing good! My average fasting blood sugar has been 108 which is awesome. I watch the average drop everyday.

That's all for today! Have a wonderful Saturday!

Faith

As per usual.. I feel like cooking again!! Great news on your blood pressure and sugar readings.. Yay you!!! I forgot to look for the garum masala yesterday when I was at the gourmet store, darnit!

Today I'm picking up another meat order, including ribs, so that I can try Kaye's rib recipe.. I better get more ground beef too, now!!

Day 22! ;)

So, here I am over 3 weeks compliant on my Whole 30 journey. Amazing! My blood pressure and blood sugars are still holding steady this morning. I am doing so many things I have not done for a while and it feels good.

Lola - I am glad I make you want to cook. You will love those ribs Kaye made. They are melt in your mouth delicious. I am hungry just thinking about them.

Yesterday for breakfast I made an egg scramble with sausage, eggs, and roasted Hatch Green Chilies (they are in season here). I served that with sliced tomatoes. For lunch we had some of the leftover hamburger soup and cherries. Dinner was hamburger patties and some roasted butternut squash and pineapple. It was another new recipe I tried - really good.

1. Take a butternut squash and peel it, cut in half length wise, clean out seeds, and then slice about 14 inch.
  2. Melt 2 tsp of ghee and 2 tsp of coconut oil and mix.
  3. Brush a cookie sheet with mixture, lay squash on cookie sheet and brush with melted ghee/coconut oil.
  4. Clean and core a pineapple slice and lay on top of squash brush with any remaining ghee/oil mixture.
  5. Sprinkle with cinnamon and coconut flakes.
  6. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until squash is tender.

It was delicious. You will have plenty of leftovers. I adapted it from a recipe in Practical Paleo. In there she put it on the grill, which was not available to me last night.

This morning I created a new egg casserole, which turned out great. I will share that recipe tomorrow. It was yummy! :P

Have a marvelous day!

Faith

YAY, I just bought a butternut squash.. I'll try it this week... I wasn't able to get my meat order filled today, so I have to go back tomorrow, so ribs will have to wait. I get so excited when you give me new meal ideas!! Tomorrow we're having crock pot roast beef, with carrots and turnip..

Congrats on your amazing accomplishments.. and getting past your third week... p.s. I have 30 eggs on hand, so I'm guessing I'll be trying your recipe tomorrow too!! I think I may actually go out and purchse Well Fed tomorrow. I've been meaning to purchase is since I read ISWF the first time!

Day 24!

Sorry I missed posting yesterday. I had a killer test and tons of homework. All is well I made a 90! :lol:

Lola - you will love the butternut squash. I decided to add sea salt to the butternut squash before I put the pineapple on next time and we also added chopped pecans. I also suggest cooking it for 45 minutes instead of 35 minutes.

Okay since I missed yesterday - the Zucchini casserole I made turned out delicious. I made up the recipe myself. So, here it is:

Faith's Zucchini Egg Casserole

1 dozen eggs

1 zucchini, grated (heavy side)

1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves

1 onion, diced

1 cup mushrooms, chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1/2 cups black olives, sliced

2 tsp ghee, melted

2 tsp olive oil

1 tsp oregano

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp basil

1 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 lb of ground pork, ground beef, or breakfast sausage browned (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix melted ghee and tsp olive oil together and brush 13 x 9 pan with it
  3. Brown sausage and set aside
  4. Saute onions and red peppers in olive oil until tender
  5. Add mushrooms and saute a few more minutes - set aside to cool
  6. In large bowl mix eggs and spices with hand whisk
  7. Add sausage/pork/beef, sauteed, tomatoes, zucchini and black olives to mixture.
  8. Pour into pan and bake for 35 minutes
  9. Enjoy!

This is what we have had for breakfast the last two days. It goes a long way and is filling.

For lunch yesterday we had organic beef franks (no nitrites), fresh veggies, green olives, pickle spear and a little mayo mixed with fresh salsa, which made a great dipping sauce for all of it. For dinner my SO made The Best Chicken you will Ever Eat from the Well Fed cookbook and green beans. It was really good. :)

I am doing great today. Lots of energy and good sugar and blood pressure numbers. Blood sugar was 105 and pressure was 105/58.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Faith

HOORAY on the 90, good for you!! And great blood pressure/sugar readings!!

Casserole sounds delish, I just may make it tonight so we have something yummy in the morning. My Hubby has swollen lips again, so I'm back to leaning toward a food allergy, he's been off his meds since last week. It was right after the roast dinner, so it could be anything from the spices in the rub, to several different kinds of veggies. It's just weird, part of me wonders if stress could do that?? We're going to the doctor again on Friday, hopefully we'll get some answers!

Chat soon, can't wait to hear what's on your menu for tomorrow!

Day 26! Wohoo!

Hi everyone, sorry I missed again yesterday. It is final exams for me this week. So it is a little crazy.

Hi Mary Alyce - I hope you like the recipe once you make it.

Hey Lola - thanks for the hoorah. I hope you and hubby like the casserole, you will have to let me know what you think. We loved it and have decided it is our favorite of breakfast casseroles. I hope you figure out soon what the hubby is allergic to. It definitely sounds like a reaction to something. Have you been using a spice that you never used before you started Whole 30? Good luck and let me know how he is.

Let's see, yesterday we had the last serving of the casserole (it lasted for 4 breakfast for the two of us). In this casserole I did not put meat but I will next time. So, I made breakfast sausage yesterday morning to go with the casserole. I got the recipe from www.thefoodee.com (my favorite site :D ). The recipe is called Breakfast Sausage. It turned out great. For lunch we had organic beef franks, 1 half and avocado, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower, and Kaye's new invention froiled eggs (lol), which was pretty good! For dinner we had some sausage balls she made (yummy) on a bed of sauteed cabbage.

I am feeling great! Feeling more energetic by the day. I am also sleeping really great - still having hilarious dreams! Don't know what's up with that.

Back to the books! See everyone tomorrow.

Have a fantabulous day!!! :lol:

Faith

Hi FaithyFaithFaith,

Well the froiled eggs sound delish... such a simple thing, too! I didn't get around to making the casserole, just too much going on this week, but I will likely make one tomorrow.. As for dear hubby, I'm leaning toward stress/anxiety as a cause of the allergic reaction, we haven't introduced anything new to our diets, we've always eaten spicey/spiced food. We're going back to the doc's tomorrow!

Good luck on your final exam, I'm sure you will do well with all your diligent studying.. I'm glad things are still going so well for you!

Hope you have a fabo day too!

Day 27! OMG!

Yesterday we had scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast with a half a grapefruit. Lunch was meatballs and salad with vinegar and olive oil for the dressing. For dinner we had chili, veggies, 1/2 avocado, and mayo dressing with hatch green chili salsa.

Everything is going great. Still studying hard.

Thanks Lola. I hope everything goes well at the doctors.

Happy day all!

Faith

Day 28! Holding strong and feeling great!

Yesterday I cooked thin slices of pork belly in the oven with a bunch of seasoning for breakfast, along with a couple eggs scrambled in with mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. For lunch we finished up the chili and had raw veggies. For dinner we had some tough steak (lol) and broccoli. I had a few grapes and a few cherries as well.

When I went to take my night time medication, I realized that I forgot to take my morning medication (this is rare for me). So out of curiosity I took my blood sugar and after dinner at the end of the day with no medication it was 117. I know I will be getting off this stuff soon :) !

I feel so good today even better than I felt before. I feel so light on my feet and full of energy.

Hi there Lola!! :P I will send you good studying vibes too!

Have a great day!

Faith

Thanks for the good vibes Faith!! I think they worked, though I still have a ton of work to catch up on! That is great news about your meds!! That would be the ultimate win!! I look forward to the day that you post about getting off the all together!

Hope you're doing well with the studies, and you have a great day too!

Hi Faith,

I hope all your studying is going well! I should get on my studying too (taking an accounting course but finding it hard to get motivated with these blogs to get caught up on and recipe searching for prep day)

You are almost there!!! Great work for you and Lola!

Archived