Thanks, Physibeth! I ditched the probiotic on Sunday.

About my attempt at coming up with a protocol, I have some news. It turns out I hadn't finished reading ISWF. Now I have. And what did I find in the last chapters? The answer to all my questions. I was flabbergasted. Why doesn't anyone in the forum seem to have read this?  :huh:

Quote: "As your GI tract starts to heal, your mucosal layer will adjust, unhealthy gut bacteria will start to die off, healthy bacteria will begin to repopulate, and the intestinal lining will start to rebuild itself, plugging gaps and filling in holes. This can lead to gas, bloating, diarrhea, or constipation. In conditions such as IBD and IBS, it's not uncommon for digestive issues to continue for three to six months (...) but it is a necessary first step in restoring normal, healthy gut integrity." Unquote.

So if one gets these problems, as I see so many people here seeking help for, it doesn't mean something went wrong. Instead, be patient and treat your gut carefully by following these recommendations:

• "Eat plenty of fiber-rich vegetables, but make sure they are cooked thoroughly.(...) We also recommend (...) first chopping them into small pieces."
  • "Be cautious with fruit consumption, as there are strong links between fructose malabsorption and IBS. Make sure you peel all fruit, avoid what you can't peel (...) and eat your fruit as ripe as possible. You should also avoid fruit that have seeds and a rough exterior (like berries)."
  • "Many IBS sufferers report increased symptoms after consuming citrus fruits, so we recommend avoiding those as well."
  • "Dried fruits (...) pack too much sugar into a small package for folks with serious GI disturbances."
  • "Avoid all nuts and seeds. They can be profoundly inflammatory in the intestinal tract."
  • "Avoid coffee —even decaffeinated."
  • "Drink plenty of water throughout the day but not with your meal."
  • "Consider taking a high-quality fish oil."

I had no idea there even was an IBS protocol. I'm all in, of course. I'm printing a list of recommendations to post on my fridge alongside the meal template.

I guess now it makes sense to bring on magnesium to see if it helps alleviate the otherwise expected disturbance.

Yesterday DAY 9/35

• Slept: I woke up at 4 am with a nightmare and couldn't get back to sleep. Very unusual in me. I had taken a magnesium capsule before bedtime. I also had a warm bath before going to bed (I usually shower in the morning instead.)
  • Meal 1 (8 am) 3 eggs, 1 cup yuca with ghee. 2 tomatoes (raw, seeded but not peeled) with olive oil and fresh basil. 1 cup plain black tea.
  • Snack (or should I say "snacking frenzy"?  <_< 11 am) handful salted cashews and pistachios, handful dried plums. —Don't know why I've been having those snacking attacks lately. I've got to resist.
  • Meal 2 (3 pm) roast beef, green beans, yuca, ghee (1 full 300ml box)
  • Meal 3 (8:30 pm) wild-caught white fish and farm-raised salmon, chards, cooked carrots, yuca, with ghee.
  • Took a bath but no magnesium pill.
  • Went to bed 10 pm, turned light out 12 pm.

Today DAY 10/36 —Implementing IBS protocol

• Slept like a baby. Vivid dreams. Woke up without alarm clock 6:30 am. (That's two rather short nights in a row but I'm doing just fine.)
  • Meal 1 (8 am) 3 eggs with duck fat and turmeric. 2 tomatoes (cooked, seeded, peeled) with olive oil. 1 small avocado. 1/2 cup squash with duck fat. 1 magnesium pill with big glass of water 1/2 hour before eating.
  • Meal 2 (12 am) leftover fish and veggies from yesterday, 1 full 400ml box

Continued from DAY 10/36

• Meal 3 (8 pm) 2 blood sausages with 1/2 pound mushrooms and 1 onion cooked in duck fat

DAY 11/37

• Slept: Excellent again. Went to bed early, woke up slowly way before the alarm. I love this!
  • Meal 1 (8 am) 3 eggs, 1/2 big zucchini, seeded but not peeled (forgot), cooked in ghee with fresh cilantro.
  • Meal 2 (4 pm) 2 canned mackerel, leftover zucchini
  • Meal 3 (8 pm) 1 1/2 sausage, 1 avocado, 1 cup squash
  • Good mood all day long. Had courage to confront a "friend" who said things I didn't like. Felt a bit shaken afterwards but not that much.

Archived