Best Eggs?

sksweeney

We are getting ready to start Whole 30...we have backyard chickens, but I am not sure if we should be feeding them differently to make their eggs the best I can have...anyone know where can I find information on that? What if their feed contains grains, for example?

I don't know about buying feed but I know I personally go out of my way (and pay a lot) to get eggs from chickens who are not fed soy. Regardless your eggs are going to be so much better than most of what is available in the grocery store. Hopefully some other chicken raising peeps will come and give you more advice.

What makes store "omega 3 eggs" special is that they feed them flax.  My mom's free-range chickens weren't fed flax, and they had the darkest orange, yummiest egg-yolks ever.  I'm not sure, but I think it was all the squishy bugs they were able to pick out of the grass!  They were the best.  eggs. ever.  And now she gave all her chickens away.  :( 

Anyway, I'm sure you can find a lot of info on the web for raising backyard chickens.  And I need to look into my city regulations to see if I'm allowed to raise any of my own!!! 

I buys eggs from a local small farm, and they are the best ever! I've gotten spoiled when I can't get them, and notice a big difference in the best I can find at the store. (Yes, those deep-colored yolks!)

I know these eggs are free range so they get to eat bugs, but they are also fed flax.

Normal chicken feed is just a blend of corn, grains, and soy. Unless specified otherwise, it's probably GMO and has at least some pesticide residue present. 

I have a couple old hens that are too old to lay anymore and I feed them standard chicken feed and kitchen scraps. If I get some young birds this spring to have eggs again, I'll probably look into getting organic, non GMO feed without corn or soy, but it will still inevitably contain grain. However, that's not so bad. Birds are actually designed to eat grains, unlike humans and ruminants. The problem is that factory farmed chickens are fed nothing BUT grains corn and soy. They can't forage for bugs or eat grass to supplement the grains the way pastured chickens can. 

As already stated, your eggs will still be better than most store-bought eggs just for the fact that your chickens (I assume) can forage around for bugs and eat grass. I say "most" because I actually have a butcher shop here that carries pastured corn-free, soy-free non GMO organic local eggs.

Archived