AIP and pregnant

I have been doing the AIP for the last 5 months or so with great benefits! But.. I am now 7 weeks pregnant. Is it ok to stay on a diet that is that restrictive? I eat a lot more meat than veggies, because so may cause me problems. I'm starting to crave fruit now also. Maybe my body is asking for more carbs? I want to stay on the "healing" track I'm on but also want to be healthy for the baby.

Thank you

Darleen

I think as long as you're getting enough energy, as in calories, you should be fine. If you're severely restricted in what you can eat then you should be consuming LOTS of fat to ensure you're getting adequate calories. I think of the AIP makes you feel legitimately better then you should stick to it but if any part of the allure of AIP comes from its restrictions, and not its benefits, then I think moving to something less restrictive would be ideal.

so do you mean that you eat all of those things on a daily basis 4-5 times a week? If so, then yes, it looks adequate. Are you able to eat coconut, olives, and fruits? I know in early pregnancy low blood sugar can cause morning sickness for many people, myself included, so I'd have a few go-to higher carb items on hand for those instances.

I really live on eggs(about 4), butter(4-6 tbsp.),coconut oil(4-5 tbsp.) and fatty meats with cooked vegetables(3-4 cups) 4-5 times a week. Is that enough fat and calories?

Just making sure the butter you're having on the Whole30 is clarified butter - yes?  ;) 

Are you feeling satiated after your meals?

If you want a check on whether what you're eating is enough, can you post 2-3 days worth of your food log, including portion sizes?

Jillian-I can't eat sweet potatoes. I haven't tried squash..

Chris I can let you know what I'm eating because I don't vary too much. I have a blended drink in the morning with 4 whole eggs,1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp of cinnamon,4 tbs of coconut oil, 2 tbs clarified butter,mixed with 2 cups of hot water. Sounds not too appetizing but it tastes like a Latte! I have that at around 8. Then about 11 I have 3 cups of veggies with 2 tbs of butter. I can only eat cooked veggies and can only eat them alone. (no meat,etc) Then about 2 or so I eat about a palm size of meat. I eat different meats and veggies each time. Then at dinner time i have another piece of meat the same size. I feel like I'm full. I don't ever feel like I'm not getting enough. My diet is pretty bland but I'm adding new veggies all the time and my stomach seems to be healing. I also have about 3-4 cups of homemade bone broth daily. Is that enough?

Thank you Darleen

• 3 weeks later...

Archived