Being a Whole9 houseguest

jent103

(Not that I'm going to stay with Dallas and Melissa... though that might be fun!)

This weekend, I visited my brother and his family, who live far away from me. I stayed with them, so had little input on the available food. (If I'd driven, I would have brought some things with me, but as I flew I was much more limited.) They eat well compared to many - very little processed food, and the kids think it's not a meal if there aren't vegetables. So it's not like I was eating complete junk! But they do eat grains, gluten, dairy, peanut butter, etc., plus dessert and treats occasionally.

There were choices I actively made (like gluten-loaded local specialties when we were eating out), and I don't regret those, though I do see their consequences! But I'm wondering how you all deal with situations where you're stuck between being a "good," low-maintenance houseguest and sticking to your usual way of eating (in the absence of actual allergies or strong intolerances). For example, my sister-in-law made muffins for breakfast. Tasty, but not something I'd usually deem "worth it" - but do I rifle through their fridge looking for something else when she's already gone to the effort, or take the hit? (I took the hit in this case, FWIW. I fear hurting feelings!)

What I usually do when I'm eating at someone else's home is before I go I very kindly let them know what my eating restrictions are. In this day and age that isn't really unheard of. For me I usually tell them that I do not eat gluten, soy, and processed foods and that I try to limit dairy, non-gluten grains, and beans. If I'm staying (like when I went to my parents for a week at Thanksgiving) I tell them I'm more than happy to cook for myself if that helps me not be a bother. Every now and then something is of course worth it. We had a gathering of college friends this fall for example and I happily ate a small slice of homemade apple pie and a piece of french toast made with real sourdough letting my hostess know that those things were special enough to me to break my gluten ruling. 

I think most people want to be accommodating so like with a restaurant it is more about kind communication and knowing where the rules can and cannot be bent. After all...nobody wants an uncomfortable/grumpy house guest.

Thanks, Bethany! That makes sense, and pretty much the tactic I take with my parents (they know I'm eating differently, and I don't have any problem bringing some food to their house or helping cook).

I think in this particular case, it would have been tough regardless because I don't have major allergies or sensitivities, and they know that (my consequences are mostly delayed - breakouts, bloating, etc), so suddenly giving them restrictions would have been strange to them - but more so because my brother is one of those who say "Paleo? You know cavemen only lived to 30, right?" :) Telling him I'm not eating much gluten would get me the equivalent of an eye roll or snarky comments about being trendy, not to mention being called on it if I did indulge, and I guess I have to decide whether I'd rather deal with that for a couple of days or just roll with it and get back on track later. But that's a special case, and not a frequent one!

That's too bad that your brother can't respect your decisions especially since they are based on your personal experiences. I don't generally feel the consequences of gluten until I've really had too much either, but that doesn't mean they are not real. When I get the cavemen b.s. I usually say that my decision has nothing to do with cavemen, I just like how much better I feel. Some people will always be jerks about it though.

That's exactly what I say! I don't let his opinion change my usual diet, but when I know there will be indulgences and he's going to be commenting on them if I make a big deal out of Paleo, it makes sticking to my usual a little harder. But yes, wouldn't it be great if he could? :)

That said, all the gluten this weekend has affected me enough that it might be easier to say no going forward! You're absolutely right that the consequences are real.

Archived