How Whole 30 Saved My Life

hingtastic

Ok maybe that's a bit drastic.

Maybe Whole 30 didn't ‘save my life' but it definitely changed my perspective on food and some of the issues I have with it.

About a month ago everyone was posting an article on facebook about the socially acceptable sin of gluttony. The author of that post said something that has stuck with me.

“Gluttony at it's simplest is the soul's addiction to excess…All desire for excess stems from a lack of satisfaction. I'm not satisfied with my portion—be it the portion on my plate, in the marriage bed, or in my bank account. Because I'm not satisfied with my portion, I then seek a greater portion. But because every portion is a finite part of a finite whole, I am constantly chasing an excess that can never satisfy.â€

I have thought about that a lot over the past month. Looking at all aspects of my life. I saw it in how I ate, the material things I wanted, I saw it in how my children felt entitled to more toys and presents after Christmas was over. It hit me that something needed to change.

A friend of ours had started this Whole 30 eating plan at the beginning of January and Amber and I decided to give it a try. It is a fairly intense program that cuts out all dairy, grains, legumes, sugars, alcohol, and potatoes. The purpose of the plan is to shift your habits and your view of food. It isn't meant to be a weight loss program or to help you lose inches around your waist (they actually tell you not to step on the scale the entire 30 days).

What Whole 30 did for me was expose the issue I knew was always there.

Food controlled me.

I have been obsessed with eating food for a long time. I would run to food after a long day. Look for reasons to go out to eat. Salivate whenever passing a good restaraunt. Food was my comfort. It had become an idol and I had ignored the fact for too long allowing myself to balloon up to the heaviest I had ever been.

Since jumping into the Whole 30 plan my view of food has changed. The impulses to ‘just eat something,' have left. We have saved money by not spending anything on going out to eat when we have perfectly good food at home. It gas become easier to choose healthy than run after the impulsive cravings. I feel more energetic and healthier. It has been a revealing journey and I am thankful to have made it.

Amber and I plan to continue to eat ‘clean,' moving forward instead of just running out to Lou Malnati's for a nice deep dish. I don't want to jump back into old habits and ruin the progress that has been made.

Below is my before and after. I lost a total of 25 lbs and noticed a significant difference in my clothes. They felt loose and didn't hug my gut so tight. The one thing I didn't do during my Whole 30 was workout. I didn't go running, or to the gym, or do pushups at home. The weight loss was directly from eating properly.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but if you are like I was, I would say give it a try.

What do you have to lose?

20140207-063637.jpg?w=470

Archived