What to do with veggies from bone broth?

Guest Wheat on Trial

Guest Wheat on Trial

Slow cooking a chicken overnight tonight, which means making bone broth tomorrow!

Generally, I throw out the veggies I use to make bone broth (carrots, onions, celery). Is there anything else I can do with them? I hate just throwing things away.

I feed the remains to my chickens (yes, they're cannibals). I personally would not eat the veggies though...I simmer my bone broth for 24 hours and the veg is mush at that point. Either feed them to an appropriate animal or compost them

Guest Wheat on Trial

I was thinking about maybe blending them with a cup or two of the broth to have a thicker soup when I want it. No chickens to feed here :)

of course, if there's no added nutritional value because it's all cooked down from being in the crockpot so long, I'm fine composting them. I don't actually have a composter, but I have a little can to get started so that I can give it to my CSA when we get started in June this year. Too soon to start saving the veggies?

of course, if there's no added nutritional value because it's all cooked down from being in the crockpot so long, I'm fine composting them. I don't actually have a composter, but I have a little can to get started so that I can give it to my CSA when we get started in June this year. Too soon to start saving the veggies?

I think this is the case--depending on how long you simmered, there is very little of nurtitive value in the vegetable remains.

On composting, you can start saving scraps as soon as you like, just be careful about attracting bugs (I know this too well from experience :blink: ). Depending on the temp where you are keeping them, a sealed container might be needed. You can also store compost scraps in the freezer or fridge.

Guest Wheat on Trial

Bugs are my worst nightmare!

I have this compost pail that I have yet to use:

_mkwid_efn00FyG'>http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/simplehuman-compost-pail?ID=489728&cm_mmc=Google_DMA_Home_Electrics_PLA-_-PLA+Home+Generic+-+Kitchen_PLA+-+Kitchen-_-37669322516_-_-_mkwid_efn00FyG|d{device}_37669322516|-|efn00FyG

Think it will protect from bugs until June?

hmmm. It's pretty! It's hard to tell what kind of seal you have at the top. Probably it would keep bugs out great all winter, you might have trouble when it gets warmer, though. Regardless...between the veggie scraps, coffee grounds and eggshells, I would fill that one in about a week... :)

Guest Wheat on Trial

Good point... I'm an egg/coffee/veggie eater too so I think it would also be full by next week! Because I'll be going to the CSA on a weekly basis starting in June, I'll probably just wait until then and unload it each week.

I'd love to compost myself, but I have NO green thumb. And I've looked in to outdoor composters, and they seem to be pretty pricey. So I'll let the farmer have my scraps :)

Archived