Mustard Seed Oil

BoCa

In all of the online info I find, I cannot see mention of mustard seed oil. It's in a lovely ginger pickle I'd love to use. Until I hear it's okay, if I indeed hear that it is, I'll just look longingly at my ginger pickle. It isn't on the list of "you may". I fear that means "I may not">

I should explain that by "pickle" I mean pickle in the Indian sense. It's kind of a spiced rub, with an oil base making it spreadable. I have a wonderful organic source for a range of pickles that are lovely on chicken breasts and pork... But that pesky mustard oil. Not sure about it.

• Moderators

Mustard seeds are okay, so mustard seed oil sounds okay to me. The only problem would be if the oil refers to added soybean oil and not something squeezed out of the mustard seeds. Or corn oil, or some other oil from a non-compliant ingredient. Soybean oil is cheap, so is frequently used in things. 

The ginger pickle sounds wonderful.

Well, in the ingredients it just says "mustard seed oil", so if it's to be believed, it's just that. I guess I trust this source. As far as one can trust these things in India... And yes, it's good! I highly recommend that if you have a good whole foods store near you, that you check out Indian pickles. Some are undoubtedly sweetened, but the ones I like best are not.

Yum! Makes the chicken so much more interesting, especially if you also add onions that you've caramelized with simple slow cooking.

• 5 months later...

I've managed to replicate a lovely carrot salad which a local Indian restaurant serves and mustard seed oil was the missing flavour ingredient: it has grated carrots, grated ginger, some grated/finely sliced cauliflower (optional), green chillies, lemon juice, mustard seeds, mustard seed oil. Zingy, spicy and delicious!

Archived