Dairy, my love, how could you do me this way?

MRiver

The one food I thought might challenge my compliance on the whole 30 was dairy. Cheese, plain yogurt, the occasional ice cream. I've never been slave to sugar or baked goods, and have been grain free off and on for a few years. But Dairy.....

The good news is I had no problem avoiding dairy during my 35 days of whole 30 eating. And I loved those 35 days enough to stay committed, but I definitely see the wisdom in the reintroduction protocol and chose to begin it yesterday. My slice of gorgeous english cheddar yesterday posed no noticeable problem. But my slice of same cheddar with breakfast hit me like a ton of bricks. I am fog brained, listless, unmotivated, and just plain tired.

Unexplained fatigue has been my only consistent health issue, and one I have suffered since childhood. Then last year, after a particularly stressful/traumatic three year stretch, I was found to be hypothyroid, adrenal exhausted and anemic. Medicating / supplementing has made a huge difference, but the whole thirty was like the final piece of the puzzle. And now at least one of the food culprits is confirmed.

I already know I react to gluten in this way. I call it the "eat a bagel, go to bed" syndrome and self diagnosed as such many years ago, although I didn't understand the science or the far reaching applications at the time.

I am curious about the fatigue response - does anyone have any nfo about this? All I can find about possible dairy reactions are g.i. issues, skin and joint inflammation, and sinus stuff. Is this fatigue a symptom of systemic inflammation? If anyone can point me toward the science I would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

Update

Ok wise people - is it possible that I could still be feeling casein related brain fog 24 hours later? After 2 slices total of cheddar cheese over a span of 18 hours?

And fatigue like, whoa fatigue? Like I don't wanna walk the dog fatigue?

I'm so glad you posted this because I was also wondering the same thing about being tired.  I also have an underactive thyroid and have been on medication for about 7 years already.  I reintroduced dairy yesterday - yogurt with breakfast, a slice of cheese with lunch, and ice cream after dinner.  My stomach was a little rumbly after dinner but overall it was pretty mild.  I also feel a bit stuffed up, but of course the day before I added dairy, my husband had been sick and I feel like I was slightly stuffy the day before so I can't tell if it's from the dairy or because I was getting sick.

But today, I feel EXHAUSTED.  Like, ready to take a two hour nap by 2:00.  My coworker did the Whole30 with me and she said she was incredibly tired yesterday afternoon after adding dairy during the day to her meals, like to the point where she was ready to fall asleep at her desk.   So it seems like perhaps this is a side effect of the dairy after all.  We both feel like we're being kind of hypervigilant in looking for symptoms and keep questioning if it was the dairy or something else.

We also both, for some reason, and only for the past week or so, be waking up each morning around 4:30am.  We'd both been sleeping really great throughout the whole process, so we thought that was a bit weird.

I find my reactions to dairy are quite slow and don't seem dramatic, but I am much healthier without it. When I add it in, my immune system tends to get compromised and I regularly have the fatigue (I get this from wheat too)

Different dairy gives me different reactions, milk is the only one which makes me sick in the stomach.

Dairy for me: I get arthritis, sinus, stomach is rumbly sounding (except milk - actually feel sick), higher inflammation, fatigue which gets worse over time, brain fog.

Thank you!!! I was expecting yet another thread about dairy "stomach" problems. Before and now after my WHOLE45 dairy not only makes me tired but nearly narcoleptic! I have fallen asleep in the early evening the last couple of nights and not been able to wake myself. Might I mention that Im in no way binging on cheese all day, we're talking some full fat organic greek yogurt in the morning and maybe a tablespoon worth of feta in an omelet. I thought it could be the re-intro to sugar and/or grains but after eliminating those again too. IT'S DAIRY!

On a more general note, I didn't feel amazing on my Whole30 however after re-intro I have realized that I did actually feel amazing !

A week and half into re-intro and Ive been sore, tired, down and bloated. it's crazy how easy it is to fall into those same habits and get used to feeling shitty again. WE DO WHAT WE KNOW so we have to work hard to change what we know I suppose.

I am currently crawling back to my whole30 ways. The re intro has been so eye opening!!

Archived