A Whole lotta Whole30 (journal)

PamH

Saturday:  got new foster dog!  He is adorable, but wants to mark the house.  Ugh.  Seems correctable enough, but I always wonder, "What the hell were you thinking?" during the transition week.  

4 egg veggie omelet this morning.

Half caff coffee with coconut milk

Chicken breast with skin for lunch and a few bites of compliant sausage

Dinner is a huge bowl of sauteed veggies in coconut milk

Hour at the gym.  Needed to sweat.

Still very worn out and depressed.  Sugar; always the culprit.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not labeling my days.  Protest?  Who knows!

Waking up to 2 rough housing dogs and an annoyed cat.  Enjoying my half caff with coconut milk and thinking about getting ready for work.  

Breakfast:  1 egg and ½ avocado and pear for the car ride in.  Veggie drawer is empty.   :mellow:

90% of the time I have no problem with this Whole30.  Now to work on the other 10…

Unsweetened kombucha over the day at work.

Lunch:  chicken breast with skin (about 10 oz chicken breast)

Snack:  large apple and maybe 1 egg scrambled

Dinner:  (tons of) kombucha squash and coconut oil.  Not feeling the desire to eat animal proteins at night, so I try to get enough during the day.  2+ eggs and a super large bone-in chicken breast seems like enough protein for me.  At least I feel good.

Did end up tasting a small bowl of the ground chicken/beef stir fry I made up for tomorrow's breakfast/dinner.  

Gym:  cardio for 45 mins with 3 sets weights

My sugar cravings really are gone.  Now to work on the appetite control.  Leptin reset in my future?  I've heard about it; just don't know if it applies to my situation.  My guess is my overeating is more habit than physiology.  I still get that tiny voice in my head that says, "You've blown it" and urges me to keep eating when I've eaten really just a larger healthy meal.  It can happen regardless of if I take a bite of frosting or a bite of a (bun-less) burger.

Half caff this morning with coconut milk.  

Planning on eating an avocado a day for a few weeks to see if that helps with my fat intake.  Tired of just eating ghee/coconut oil although I love the two.  I'm all geeked out:  my shipment from Pure Indian Foods arrived!  Organic grass fed ghee for months!  I'm trying their Digestive Ghee and two other of the seasoned ghee products to see how I like them.  I'd take a picture and post it, but my kids tell me that is excessive.  hah

Breakfast (in car!):  ground chicken/fajita steak stir fry with onion/carrot/cabbage and a pear

Drank ½ kombucha over day cut with water

Lunch:  large chicken breast with skin and maybe 1c cauliflower/zucchini/red cabbage/onion

Need to develop a variety of food to eat when I am at work.  They almost always have the roasted chicken so I gravitate toward that option.  Nothing else is really compliant as far as protein goes and I am apparently too lazy to bring my own food.  It *is* a food co-op.  

Dinner:   Very large sweet potato with tikka masala

Snack:  teaspoon almond butter… stopped myself since it was boredom and not hunger.  Took the dog out for a short, frigid walk and then off to bed to read.  Drank big warm mug of water instead.

I'm adding eating fats to all meals right now, too.  I can't figure out why my husband and I are hungry between meals when we weren't a year ago.  I have avocado, olives, coconut, and those dangerous nuts.  I can do nuts, but my husband has a hard time stopping.

I vote against your kids.  Pics are awesome!  

Funny:  husband is completely back to his normal diet since the one day I fell off Whole30.  I guess he just figured we were done?  All in all, he made it 3 of the 15 days with compliance.  ;)

He did say he was just trying to be supportive, which translates to "If you make the food I will eat it" or "I won't eat noncompliant food in front of you."  I guess I wanted a companion in the journey.  I thought that was clear.  Oh, well.

Not too sure what I am doing any more.  I will not be able to keep Whole30 compliant during my 5 days at DisneyWorld.  Well, I probably could if I lived off of Lara bars and Epic bars and fruit.  I won't have a fridge in our room and no car.  Staying in the park with a bunch of cheerleaders.  It is what it is.  That means, if I stay good for the next 10 days, I will have been Whole30 for 29 of the 30 days.  Technically, not complete.  Functionally?  I hope it leads to a lot of positive steps forward.  I already have a grasp on the sugar dependence but I know myself well enough to understand it could regress far too fast and far too easy.  I think I will probably adopt a sugar-free Spring or maybe even 2014?  By that I mean no desserts or candy or processed sugar or even Paleofied baked goods.  I don't want to avoid sugars in sauces and dressings and such even though I don't eat that much of that food anyway.  I am missing my marinades!

OH, too much half caff coffee this morning.  I looked up and the press was empty.  

Coconut milk and coffee before walking the dogs in the cold.  Feeling pretty good despite the realization that I will again not complete you, Whole30.  

Breakfast:  chicken/beef stir fry with ½ avocado and a large pear

Lunch:  chicken breast with skin and sauteed mixed vegetables, 1/3 c cajun spiced cashews

Resisted grains!  Really felt like having a muffin or scone.  They are soooo good here at the co op

Snack:  large apple on the way home in the car

Dinner:  oven roasted cauliflower, mushrooms and fennel in spiced ghee, small chunk of sweet potato and a few bites of the pork masala.  Not much meat but I like eating my animal protein at the first 2 meals, mostly.

Snack before gym:  1 fig and maybe 1/4 c raisins

Spending about 75 mins at the gym tonight while I wait for my daughter to be done with cheer practice.

Felt a little 'off' at the gym today and started focusing on carbs.  Oh, dear.  Still, I did my entire work out but came home and ate maybe ½ c (or more) of raw cashews.  Perhaps I will rethink the idea of eating most of my protein at meal 1 and 2?  Relieved to say I did not even consider going for the sweets in the house.  Today's resistance was all about avoiding a big bowl of oatmeal.  Hey, I'll take that craving over chocolate covered toffee (homemade, guys) any day!  Off to bed, my little cashew stuffed lady.

Have you visited this post about marinades?  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-marinate-meat/#axzz2uw4wfgtn

Also, are you possibly giving a little too much credit to that one day of eating non-W30 foods?  Seems as though the difference (in your mind) between 29 days of healthy eating and a Whole30 is much larger than one day.  Are you sure you are giving yourself enough credit for the days you have done?

Have you visited this post about marinades?  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-marinate-meat/#axzz2uw4wfgtn

Also, are you possibly giving a little too much credit to that one day of eating non-W30 foods?  Seems as though the difference (in your mind) between 29 days of healthy eating and a Whole30 is much larger than one day.  Are you sure you are giving yourself enough credit for the days you have done?

I am giving myself credit, but I would also love to just finish what I started (and restarted twice)!  I think I will see the vast majority of the benefits if I do 2 Whole15s back to back.  

So many people have commented on my skin in the past 2 weeks. It has been remarkable.  It isn't even summer.

Half caff with coconut milk

Breakfast:  apple and Lara bar in the car.  

Ran out of time this morning.  Silly foster dog does not like the snow and took forever to poop!  Used up my breakfast time.

Lunch:  huge chicken breast with skin and 1c sauteed vegetables with oil/salt

Snack:  I know I ate something compliant but I cannot remember!  haha

Dinner:  flank steak, sweet potato, mushrooms/onions/broccoli rabe

Good morning!

Lots of energy these days.  Still a very stressful life at home with marital issues but I feel a change.  I am still getting compliments at work almost daily about my skin.  It is just amazing.  I guess 48 year old women are supposed to look like crap?  Just not sure, but I will take the appreciation and run with it.  It sure does justify what I am sacrificing at the dinner table.

Half caff with coconut milk before my second walk with the foster dog.  Man, I wish this dog would poop without smelling the entire neighborhood first.  At least he doesn't have accidents in the house.  Yesterday we took 4, ½ mile walks or maybe even more just to get him to go.  I would not mind if I had the time and it wasn't 10 degrees and windy.  I love the boy, though.  

Giving back:  that is what it is all about.

Breakfast:  2 eggs with onion/broccoli rabe and ½ avocado on top  (added sea salt)

Thinking I need to up the salt in my diet again. I eat no processed food at all so my salt intake is probably low.

Lunch:  Large bowl of greens with 1 egg (white only),  veggies, 1/4 c raisins, 2T oil/ghee (melted) and 2T nutritional yeast

Oops:  4T sun nut butter.  Time to get out of the house

Hit the gym

Went out to eat.  I'm sure it was not compliant, although it was gluten free.  Flash smoked salmon, cauliflower mash and sauteed chard.  Most certainly contained butter.  Mash might have even had some potatoes in it but I didn't want to ruin my night be asking.  As we already know, I did not make this Whole30.  

Hi PamH  glad to see you are succeeding and staying positive.  From experience its not easy to be positive when things aren't going right at home so you should be very happy with your acheivements.

Be good to yourself x

Half caff with coconut milk.  Off to the shower and then thinking about breakfast.

Two mile walk with the foster pooch.  Two more later

Breakfast (for now):  large pear, half avocado with sea salt.

Need to run to Sam's Club for some homework club shopping.  I honestly hate buying what I buy but the school wants snacks and money is an issue.  No nuts for allergy reasons so I am limited to CheezIts, animal cookies, pretzels and goldfish crackers.  Feeling somewhat guilty.

Lunch:  miss mash from a health food store hot bar:  grilled chicken, braised beef, vegetables.  They are great about listing potential allergens so I know if it is gluten/soy/dairy and even sugar free.  All so good!  Ate a bit too much but that is fine.  

Husband lost the foster dog for over an hour.  I want to eat brownies.  Instead I will go to the gym.  THAT was stressful!  I've never lost a dog before after 23 fosters.

gym for an hour to burn of stress energy

Dinner:  baked cod, acorn squash with lots of ghee

Snack:  1 dried fig.

Went to neighbor's house tonight for some fun.  Everyone had wine except me.  Everyone ate the awesome looking baked good except me.  Funny, the host started talking about a book that he read which touted sugar as poison.  Sounded like a Paleo book but he never mentioned the title.  Of course my husband has to say that all food is basically broken down into sugars in the Krebs cycle.  He is so resistant!  Sugars from vegetables or small amounts of fruits is so different from a Big Gulp Coke from the gas station.

Relaxing Saturday morning.

Half caff with lots of coconut milk today.  Dumped too much in there and decided to just go with it.  Yum

Off for my second walk with foster dog.  I wish it were warmer so I could enjoy it more.  Several miles a day of activity added to my schedule will probably up my appetite.

Incorporating ½-1 avocado daily for the past few days.  Not sure if it is helping my need to eat in between meals but I feel pretty good.

Waiting too long, again, to eat breakfast.  I just am not hungry for a few hours after I get up.  Hard habit to break, and it doesn't help that I don't have any leftovers to reheat quickly.  

Breakfast:  2 eggs, mushrooms/onions in ghee with ½ avocado and sea salt; topped with 6 raw macadamia nuts and 1/4 c sultana raisins.  Decadent and so yummy

Not too long ago, this breakfast would have been considered an excessive intake for me and a reason to continue eating because I 'blew it'.  All about calories and restriction in my brain from years of punishing practice.  Not saying I'm over that quite yet, but my body is showing the benefits of health and my brain is catching up!

Lunch:  pear, 2T nutritional yeast and 2 large slices grilled zucchini, baked cod  (weird combo, I know)

Dinner:  Just tons of grilled vegetables, chicken breast with chipotle seasoning.  I ate several spears of asparagus, 1 zucchini, 1 yellow squash,1 orange pepper and a few slices of eggplant.  I am pretty full!

Started oil pulling today with organic sesame oil.  We will see what the hype is all about.  I don't believe it can cure all that ails me, but I do believe that our health is affected greatly by our oral health so if it really does kill bacteria and keep my mouth clean(er) than I'll be happy.  Kind of underestimated the grossness of swishing oil around in my mouth for 15 minutes.

Sunday!  Half caff with coconut milk and a trip to the gym before work.  Seems everyone else was asleep at 8am still.

Breakfast:  2 eggs with onion/green beans sauteed in 1 heaping T ghee/coconut oil and sea salt

Unsweetened kombucha throughout the day; just ½ bottle cut with water.

Lunch:  Large chicken breast with skin and maybe 1c vegetables

Snack:  large apple

Dinner:  2+ cups sauteed veggies and maybe 20 macadamia nuts.  Not too great with all of those nuts but it was the alternative to eating the meat out of a take-out chinese meal my husband got for dinner while I was at work.  I know that has sugar, oil and Lord knows what else in it so I opted for the fat bomb.  Love raw macadamias.

OH, 1 hour at the gym and 2, 20 minute walks with the dog are good for my soul today.  Still kind of cold.  Wondering what I will do during our visit to Disney?  Lots of walking in the park, but I'll miss my work outs.  My youngest (who I am brining with me) has Autism so I don't feel comfortable leaving him alone to go work out, plus the fact I will be in a hotel with thousands of teenage girls and their parents so the hotel gyms are usually packed.  I guess walking will be enough.  Maybe some squats if my pelvic organs can handle it (prolapse curse).

Half caff with coconut milk this morning.  SOMEBODY did something with my french press.  It is gone.

Found (still dirty) in the dining room?  

Breakfast:  chia 'pudding' (kind of paleofied) with coconut milk and banana and a pear

Lunch:  chicken breast with skin, veggies

Snack:  apple, sweet potato, raisins, nuts (too snacky).

Hot flashes all afternoon!

Took 4, 1 mile walks with the foster dog today.  That is good, since I am unable to find time for the gym this week before heading to Disney.  It limits the withdrawals.  

Half caff with coconut milk this morning.  SOMEBODY did something with my french press.  It is gone.

That is a dreadful, Spring forward, Monday morning mystery!

Same old half caff with coconut milk in my beloved french press today!

Breakfast:   Still struggle with a good breakfast per Whole30 standards.  Today it was about ½ c raw mixed nuts (mostly macadamias) and a pear

Unsweetend kombucha cut with water over the day

Lunch:  (yawn) chicken breast with skin and mixed veggies.  Took a bite of a gluten free chocolate chip banana muffin and decided it was not worth it.

Snack:  Argh.  Dark chocolate.  Thinking I set myself off with the muffin chunk.  Interesting.  Not a lot of chocolate, but definitely not the way I wanted to spend what is probably Day30.  

Dinner:  flank steak and lots of kabocha squash with ghee and coconut oil/sea salt.

So, 30 days have passed and I once again did not complete Whole30.  I did much better than I did the first times and I feel very good.  I think, over the past 10 months, I have spent 7 of them Whole30 compliant.  I have some more work to do, but overall I am very happy with the way I am adjusting to the new phase in life.  

Off to Disney!  I really do not enjoy Food Court fare, so I will be OK when I return.

Snack:  1/4+ of sultana raisins

Half caff with coconut milk.  Busy, busy day.  Working to get that real breakfast in and avoiding 'snacking' for my meal.  It is hard.  All I have ready to eat is flank steak that has a soy/maple marinade so I will skip it.  Little time for eggs.  I've been farting around.

Back from Walt Disney World!  To say I was compliant would be a total farce.  I really did try!

I had the huge turkey legs (daily) for my protein.  It was my main 'meal'.  Vegetables were hard to source so I skipped it most of the time.  I don't eat non-organic veggies for the most part and our meals were on the go and not in restaurants.  Our hotel situation was more like a dormitory with a cafeteria.  You can imagine the food catered toward 8-18 year olds.

I think I did pretty well.  Avoided most gluten, dairy and obvious soy.  Ate no desserts except for some raw cocoa bars sweetened with dates that I bought before hand.  Only had 2 of them over 5 days.

So, back on the bandwagon.  I am going to stay Whole30 compliant for most days.

What WAS awesome was that my typical travel constipation was nowhere to be found.  That is a 20 year history wiped out somehow.  I credit diet and supplements but not sure why it hasn't worked in the past since I've experimented before.

good to be home

Half caff with coconut milk before hopping in the shower to get ready for work.  I see some things don't change.

More lack of change:  daughter missed the bus (again) so I had to rush to get her to school, come home and take a quick shower.  No real breakfast time.

Breakfast in car:  pear, 1/4 c raisins and maybe 1/4 c mixed raw nuts

Lunch:  large chicken breast with skin and 1c mixed veggies

snack on way home from work:  4pc sushi

Yes, added some white rice back to my diet today.  It never seemed to bother me before but we will see how it goes.  Sushi is one of my favorites, so cutting it out completely would be a shame.

Dinner:  the rest of my sushi.

Drinking a lot of water to beat the vacation blues.  I am TIRED.

Welcome back! Congratulations on sticking with it to the extent you did. I think I would have used a trip like that to totally excuse any and all (poor) eating choices.

I am surprised by my choices!  The sweets were barely tempting.  THAT is a huge shift.

Archived