How much

SarahR

• Moderators

That is a very small meal. If you ran two cups of lettuce through a food processor, it would make about 1/4 cup of lettuce juice and take up almost no space in your stomach. Bell pepper doesn't take up much space either. One of the problems with salads in general is that the veggie portion takes up a lot of space in a bowl, but not much space in your stomach. You can think you are eating a lot, when the actual amount after chewing is small. I became sensitive to this issue wilting greens. You can fill a big skillet with greens and then when they are wilted, they hardly fill the corner of a plate. 

The other question that is relevant is how long before lunch you ate breakfast and whether you ate a good-size breakfast. 

For breakfast I had three eggs with kale cooked in coconut oil and a banana.  I had a about a cup of cook kale. I felt very satisfied after eating.   I ate breakfast at 6am and lunch at 11:30.  I also had two cups of coffee with a tsp. of coconut milk (the canned stuff). 

What do I add to my salad to make it work better for me?  By dinner last night I was pretty hungry but did not need a snack.  

Thank you so much for all of your help.  I greatly appreciate the help!! 

Today is day 2 for me. For lunch I made a salad with chicken and veggies and some oil. I was 3/4 done and I was full. I kept eating because I thought dinner was far away. I am pretty sure I should have stopped. Advice?

I always try to finish even if I feel full, especially if I have a lot of raw veggies on my plate that can create a "faux" full.  The few times I didn't, I found myself hungry before my next meal.  It's a tough thing to get used to, because it's against everything we've ever been told.  But you have to remember that the "stop when you're full" rule from dieticians is based on the SAD and on large, heavy restaurant portions, not on the plates full of whole foods your aeting on Whole30. 

For breakfast I had three eggs with kale cooked in coconut oil and a banana.  I had a about a cup of cook kale. I felt very satisfied after eating.   I ate breakfast at 6am and lunch at 11:30.  I also had two cups of coffee with a tsp. of coconut milk (the canned stuff). 

What do I add to my salad to make it work better for me?  By dinner last night I was pretty hungry but did not need a snack.  

Maybe add a cooked vegetable, like a sweet potato?

I always try to finish even if I feel full, especially if I have a lot of raw veggies on my plate that can create a "faux" full.  The few times I didn't, I found myself hungry before my next meal.  It's a tough thing to get used to, because it's against everything we've ever been told.  But you have to remember that the "stop when you're full" rule from dieticians is based on the SAD and on large, heavy restaurant portions, not on the plates full of whole foods your aeting on Whole30. 

On how much to eat, eat at least the low end of the meal template: 1 palm of protein, 1 cup of veggies and 1 thumb (or equivalent) of fat.  If you're still hungry, keep eating until you feel full.  If that satiates you for 4-5 hours, great.  If you get hungry sooner, increase your portions the next time around until get to the point where you're satiated for 4-5 hours afterward.  

Archived