Delaine's Whole 30

Delaine Ross

Starting my 3rd attempt at Whole 30 - this forum is AWESOME!

Day One:

"Bulletproof Coffee" - coffee with coconut oil and ghee

2 slices turkey

Did a zip line tour and was busy all day

chicken liver soup

The Bulletproof Coffee keeps me from being hungry. I know fasting is frowned upon but I have been kind of naturally fasting 16/8 one day, 20/4 the next, then eating regularly the next. I'm not doing this for fat loss, but to officially eliminate alcohol, seed oils, and "hidden" added sugar from my diet for long enough for me to realize how much better I feel without them! I've been grain, dairy, and legume-free for awhile now.

• Moderators

You are not doing a Whole30 if you are practicing intermittent fasting at the same time. IF is great for some people and I practice it myself on occasion. But IF is another eating protocol and you cannot blend the two and call it a Whole30. During a Whole30 you must eat at least 3 meals per day.

Come on! Do a Whole30 now and you can IF later.

• Moderators

No, I'm afraid not. Jacking up the calories in a cup of coffee with a load of fat just doesn't rise to the level of a meal. The baseline of a Whole30 meal is protein, veggies, and some fat. Bulletproof coffee is at best a snack.

Thank you for the help! Do I have to do Day One over??

If not:

Day 2:

Bulletproof Coffee

eggs, chicken sausage, Veggies

burger with sauteed spinach/garlic

ground beef with coconut milk, Thai Kitchen curry, mixed veggies, fresh basil, Lime juice

I went to a BBQ place for lunch, waited on my friend for 20 minutes as I stared at the menu. Finally I asked "What can we eat if we are eliminating all sugar?" The answer? "Nothing" - all the meat was dry rubbed in sugar.

So we left... :)

Delaine!

Hey, Stefanie and I are starting again tomorrow. I am going to have to try this bulletproof coffee in the morning since you seem so in love with it.

We should do a Whole30 get together sometime soon. I got some good recipes that I am excited to bust back out during this.

Day 3

BP coffee (not British Petrolium - haha)

Shrimp, mushroom, onions, broccoli, cauliflower suateed w/ salsa and guac on top

AF turkey bologna, Macadamia nuts, TJ's frozen "Very Cherry Berry Blend" with lime squeezed on top - not very sweet, but tart and cold on these hot days!

Flank Steak with pineapple salsa, kale sauteed in coconut milk, and avocado

Day 4

Leftovers from dinner + a small sweet potato - Breakfast of champions!

I made a slow cooker full of grass-fed beef (3 lbs) Trader Joe's Marinara (complaint) and carrots, mushrooms, peppers, and onion and ate that for lunch and dinner.

Had macadamia nuts for a snack

My first big test was out salsa dancing with my instructor. Drank mocktails - club soda with lime. :)

Day 6

Chilli for breakfast

Grass-fed burger w avocado, mixed greens, tomato, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Macadamia nuts

Sweet potato cubes wrapped in Country ham (from an Amish farm) (PWO meal)

Shrimp, salsa, guacamole, broccoli, onions, mushrooms.

Day 7

Chili, cherries, Arden's Garden Nori bites

Ground turkey with salsa and avocado, cherries (bought them at the market this morning and they're so good!)

Snack: sardines with avocado and macadamia nuts

Grassfed beef patty, grilled veggies, kale sautéed in light coconut milk.

Day 8

Coffee w/coconut milk

Local sage sausage omelet with mushrooms, onions, and avocado

Aidell's chicken and apple sausage

grass-fed burger with lettuce, tomato, jalapenos, and avocado

decaf coffee w/ghee and coconut oil (just a little)

leftover sage pork sausage

Not as heavy on the veggies as I would like. It was a travel day back from the lake so a lot of it was just eating what was leftover!

Day 10

Coffee with coconut milk

Chilli and Gazpacho

Chicken spread (homemade: WF rotisserie chicken, homemade mayo, and celery) and mediteranean soup (lemon, avocado, water, spinach, celery, cucumber, oregano and thyme in the Vitamix)

Tried to make salmon, sweet potatoes and spinach for dinner but it turned out horribly and I ate leftover chicken and gazpacho for dinner

Derval -

From the vitamix website:

Gazpacho

Ingredients

3 cups (720 ml) tomato juice, fresh or canned

1/3 cup (80 ml) red wine vinegar

1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil

2 large ripe tomatoes, quartered or approximately 2 cups chopped

1 cucumber, peeled, quartered or approximately 1 1/2 cups chopped

1 (70 g) small onion, peeled, quartered or about 1/3 cup chopped

dash of hot sauce (optional)

salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.

Select Variable 1.

Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 5.

Blend for 30-45 seconds.

Stop machine, season soup and serve immediately.

Days 11 and 12

Between the batches of food I made Tuesday and getting together with a friend to cook and share recipes/ portions, Days 11 and 12 have been whatever looked good from the fridge in various combinations:

Chicken salad, gazpacho, Mediterranean soup, turkey w/salsa

And from our adventures in the Well-Fed (amazing) cookbook:

Czech meatballs, Eggplant Stratta, Pesto

And now I'm having my new favorite wind down drink: Gerolsteiner (Trader Joe's) - a mineral water (with magnesium)

Day Lucky 13

My choffy came in today! Yum, but I think I'm making it too weak even though I let it steep a long time. Any tips out there?

Coconut milk and choffy

Ground Turkey/salsa

Spinach, grapefruit, pulled pork salad (no dressing and I don't recommend this combination. Haha. It was a mix/match of items at a restaurant)

1/2 lb boiled shrimp

Burger patty w/balsamic, arugula, and onions, gazpacho

Kombucha (GT Original flavor. Love it so much... Almost to the point that it may be psychologically unhealthy.)

Speaking of psychologically unhealthy, I had a KILLER craving for a Larabar after dinner. Cravings havent been hitting me too hard so far but tonight was a struggle! It was an internal battle but I just said no! The craving came and went a few times but I'm good now sitting in the dark (except for the iPad) sipping on mineral water!

Came home and prepped some food for the weekend. Taste tested more Paleo mayo, chicken salad (I'm playing with adding ingredients. This batch had chopped carrots and Greek olives) and some Pineapple/cucumber/jalapeño gazpacho that I stumbled upon at Whole Foods. It's really good. It has just the right amount of sweet and spice.

Day 15- a bit of an unstructured Sunday...

I ate a lot of olives today! My friends had a Sunday Funday drink Fest at a few bars and olives was all I could find on the menu (they even fried their Marconi olives in VEGE OIL and put it in ceviche. Why?)

Meatballs and homemade mayo for breakfast

Meatballs for lunch w/ pineapple, cucumber gazpacho

Larabar in a moment of weakness (I turned down plenty of $3 sangrias but could not turn down the larabar- my confession...will work on)

Dinner was tasting all the foods I had made in the crockpot that day...

Day 18

Bulletproof coffee (had two cups today, the second to bust a sugar craving in the afternoon)

Meatballs w curry mayo

Chicken sausage, mushrooms and onions- I was eating this at a conference and was scooping out some jellylike substance (that was hot liquid when I put it in the container) and dropped it into the trash after only a few bites!! I had some almonds and an avocado in my bag so I ate that.

Pork chop and spinach

I need to eat more veggies...

Archived