Working out at lunchtime - Confused about meals

NatalieBA

I am a bit confused about the whole pre and post work out meals thing.

When I initially read ISWF I interpreted that this was only neccesary for like "elite" or competitive athletes or extremely high intensity workouts.

But after reading the forums here I get a different impression, maybe I misinterpreted, so now I need to figure out if I am doing this right.

Here is my schedule:

I eat breakfast at 7:00 am.

I workout at either 11:00am/12:00pm/1:00pm, depending on my schedule and the classes schedule at my gym.

In the past I just eat lunch after working out. After reading these forums, I decided to add a hard boiled egg before i work out, which I tried today. 

Is this enough or do I need to add more food?  Does the lunch right after the workout negate the need for the additional P-WO meal?  The Lunch is a regular Whole 30 meal with protien, veggies and fat.  Maybe a small fruit.

My workouts are typically a 45 minute class at the gym, tabata style cardio/body weight, book camp, 3-2-1 Strength/cardio/abs class, sometimes cardio class or I lift weights in the weight room. 

PreWO is important if you exercise first thing in the morning, or if you need it to have enough energy to do the workout. If those don't apply to you, you can skip pre-WO if you prefer.

It is a good idea from a recovery/muscle building perspective to have lean protein after intense exercise (within 30 minutes). If your exercise is not intense, you might consider lunch and postWO to be one and the same. Personally, I combined meal #1 with postWO for a long time--a year and a half?-- and did just fine. I'm trying to get better about getting lean protein in faster these days. Try it out and see what works best for you.

I have the same question. I get up at 7 and do an intense HIIT cardio class at 9:30 2 days a week. I don't want a full stomach when I workout. Should I just have an egg and then eat meal 1 after my class. I'm day 2 of the 30 day program and so far timing is has been my only problem. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived