First Whole30 (Late Journal Start)

MeghanH

So I started my first Whole30 on 2/15 and am currently on Day 8. It has been going well and I'm sticking to it (my husband is also doing a Whole30 with me). The first few days were difficult since I was stuck at home due to snow and all I wanted to do was eat out of boredom. I have been keeping a daily food journal and have been very honest about what I am eating even when I have had multiple snacks during the day. I do have sugar cravings and working in a school where there are sweets around is not easy but my coworkers know that I am doing this so they won't give me any sweets or if I'm tempted I also get the evil eye. I have posted my food log thus far so let me know what you think!

The Whole30 Food Diary

Day 1

Meal 1: Fried Eggs with Sweet Potato Hash

Meal 2: Just Plain Chili

Snack: Olives, Paleo Snack Mix

Meal 3: None

Day 2

Meal 1: Chorizo Scrambled Eggs

Meal 2: Stir Fry Beef Salad with Olives and Bell Peppers

Snack: Paleo Snack Mix, Olives

Meal 3: Pork with Tarragon Cream and Mixed Vegetables

Day 3

Meal 1: Ground Beef, Spinach, Onion Frittata, Banana

Snack: Olives, Paleo Snack Mix

Meal 2: Just Plain Chili

Snack: Bell Pepper Strips

Meal 3: Breakfast Casserole

Snack: Balsamic Vinegar and Strawberries

Day 4

Meal 1: Breakfast Casserole

Meal 2: Stir Fry Beef Salad with Olives, Bell Peppers, and Carrots, Hardboiled Egg

Snack: Banana

Meal 3: Chicken with Shallots and Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Snack (Post Workout): Olives and Paleo Snack Mix

Day 5

Meal 1: Ground Beef, Spinach, Onion, Frittata

Meal 2: Pork with Tarragon Cream, Mixed Vegetables, and a Hardboiled Egg

Snack: Clementines, Olives, Paleo Snack Mix

Meal 3: Breakfast Casserole

Day 6

Meal 1: Ground Beef, Spinach, Onion Frittata

Meal 2: Chicken with Shallots, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Broccoli

Snack: Clementine

Snack (Pre Workout): Olives

Meal 3 (Post Workout): Banana, Paleo Snack Mix

Day 7

Meal 1: Ground Beef, Spinach, Onion Frittata

Meal 2: Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Peppers, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli

Snack: Banana

Meal 3: Olives, Moroccan Meatballs, Asparagus, Balsamic Vinegar and Strawberries

Day 8:

Meal 1: Fried Eggs with Sweet Potato Hash and a Banana

*The Paleo Snack Mix is almonds, cashews, and walnuts roasted with paprika and some salt.

Congratulations! Thanks for posting your meals. Most of these meals look great. Here is some feedback that I hope you find helpful.

It looks like some of your meals don't have enough veggies, Chorizo scrambled eggs, just plain chili. Maybe you are just giving us the basics in your list above and did eat 2 - 3 cups of veggies with these meals. Also you should try not to eat fruit or nuts as a snack. 1) If you need to snack then eat a mini meal with protein, fat and veggies. 2) If you need to snack you didn't eat enough at the previous meal.

The pre workout meal should be protein and fat, the post workout meal should be protein and starchy veggies, like sweet potato. Fruit and nuts are not recommended for either pre workout or post workout meals.

The first week can be tough because you are trying to figure out how much to eat so you are not starving between meals. I definitely didn't eat enough vegetables during my first week on the whole30. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the feedback! The first week was definitely challenging trying to not only figure out meals but also figure out how much to eat at each meal. The suggestions about snacks and pre and post-workout meals are very helpful and I will make those changes! Thank you again for the suggestions.

So I'm on Day 9 and I'm ready to throw in the towel. I'm tired of scrutinizing food labels, I'm tired of standing in the kitchen forever cutting vegetables (I despise cutting vegetables) and damn all I want is a cheese stick and a hamburger bun and all! I'm totally having a temper tantrum at the moment but I just needed to vent.

Thank you so much for the encouragement.  Weekends seem to be the hardest for me because that is when I'm used to going out and getting those not good food choices just because I can.  I stuck with it yesterday (though I have to admit I ate more fruit, grapes, than I should have but I had to get through it somehow) and am feeling much better this morning.  One of my co-workers checked in on me this morning to see if I made it through the weekend and she commented that my face looks much brighter and fresher (and I am highly acne prone) which made my day!  I'm just going to keep on trucking!!!!

Namtrag--it is was so hard going around the store seeing all the things that I used to buy and now can't!  I mean seriously the huge displays of Oreos and chips!  I think it was much more of a mental block than anything else.  I find myself craving food that I have not eating in months or even years (I revamped my diet about 7 months ago) so I know that I don't really want it, but that my brain is just revolting and makes me think that I want it.  

Meghan, we went yesterday and bought a lot of stuff, but we tried to not go up any of the aisles.   It's tough too when the bakery is pumping out fresh bread, but we are focusing on making it through 30 days.  We all can do anything for 30 days!  Keep on focusing on your goals.  Pretty soon you will think Oreos are disgusting :)   I have to admit, I will have a hard time on the chips too! lol

The funny part of this whole thing is that I honestly cannot remember the last time I had an Oreo and now I would kill for one-now the same cannot be said for a chocolate bar or Reese's (oh those are my favorite!!!). I even had a dream about eating Rasin Bran and I haven't had that, let alone cereal, in months. It is so funny how my body craves the most random things!

So I worked out tonight and I can honestly say that I felt AMAZING!!!  I am training for me second 5K (but to be honest I am really behind on training and haven't been running as much as I should recently) and I jumped on the treadmill tonight and just ran.  I can honestly say I have never done that before.  Running is a chore for me and I am constantly psyching myself out or staring at the clock wondering when I can call it quits.  But tonight I felt great; I was in a zone and just felt like I could keep running.  Even after I was done running, I still had so much energy and just felt awesome.  I have been second guessing myself recently as to why I chose to do the Whole30 and tonight just made up my mind for me.  To be honest I am not a gym person, I do not like the gym but I go and try to make the best out of it.  If I continue to feel like I did tonight, I have a feeling that the gym will become a much more enjoyable experience!

• 4 weeks later...

Help!!!  So I successfully completed my first Whole30 and I feel amazing!!! I have been sticking to paleo and am working very hard at making a conserted effort to stick with it since I feel so much better.  Now here is the problem, in about 3 weeks I am going to Africa to visit my brother who is in the Peace Corps.  This means a lot of time will be spent in airports and when I am with him I am not going to have access to my "usual" foods.  I know that I am going to visit him for the experience, not to worry about what I am eating, but does anyone have any suggestions of some paleo foods that are good for travel (and that I can get on international flights)?

• 2 weeks later...

Help!!!  So I successfully completed my first Whole30 and I feel amazing!!! I have been sticking to paleo and am working very hard at making a conserted effort to stick with it since I feel so much better.  Now here is the problem, in about 3 weeks I am going to Africa to visit my brother who is in the Peace Corps.  This means a lot of time will be spent in airports and when I am with him I am not going to have access to my "usual" foods.  I know that I am going to visit him for the experience, not to worry about what I am eating, but does anyone have any suggestions of some paleo foods that are good for travel (and that I can get on international flights)?

Check out this forum for some tips. http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/9-travel-and-dining-out/. or these whole30 Approved products. http://whole30.com/whole30-approved/.  Enjoy your trip

Archived