fats

jenfro

So this is probably a silly question, but as far as fats at each meal goes, does the fat I cook with at each meal (I plan on using coconut oil and ghee) count as my fat or do I add another fat source?  I'm only on day 1 and I have had half an avocado with breakfast and lunch, and got a little stumped for dinner.  Thanks!!!

• Moderators

Cooking fat doesn't really count because most of it does not get eaten. There are several ways I routinely use to get enough fat. One is to eat fatty food like whole eggs, sausage, ribeye steak, chuck roast, etc. Another is through mayonnaise in tuna salad, on roast chicken, on roast fish, etc. Another is olives, either as an ingredient or as a side dish in a meal. 

• Moderators

You are welcome.

There are a few places where cooking fat does count. When I put a tablespoon of ghee in a skillet to cook 3-4 whisked eggs, most of the ghee makes it into into the food. When you make a pot of soup and use a fat to get things started like chopped onion that you brown in the pot before adding other ingredients. But lots of cooking fat ends as part of what you pour off after transferring what you have cooked to a plate. 

Archived