Lenten Whole40 support thread

peahen65

Let's check in here and encourage each other the next 40 days! Here's to a great start tomorrow!

I plan on having eggs and asparagus for breakfast and my first ever black americano midmorning. Tuna with apples for lunch while out taking MIL to the doctor, then broccoli & chicken for supper. Will carry cashews for snack if needed.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in.  For breakfast today I had the sweet potato hash with a couple eggs.  That will definitely be a go to breakfast.  I think I will cook up a big batch on the weekend and eat it all week long. 

My first day did not go as planned... For breakfast I had 3 eggs with onions and asparagus.  I used to love asparagus as a child, but this morning it tasted like potting soil - meh.  Then I had the most awful gastro-intestinal reaction.  And I have no idea why!  Other than maybe a little too early in the day for a heavier breakfast?  I took apples and cashews with me to the city because I had to take my 90 year old mother-in-law to the doctor.  I got my very first black Americano at Starbucks (not my first choice of venues, but it was all I had nearby) and it smelled like an ashtray.  I figured I wouldn't drink it and I'd just hold it for comfort :) but after it cooled off a bit, it wasn't too bad.  Mother's doctor visit lasted FOREVER so she and I were quite hungry.  She loves Mexican, and I thought oh no.  I can face Mexican today.  So I got her Qdoba and got nothing for myself.  Finally I got to eat some cashews at 1:45 pm.  Then later I had a gulp of husband's kombucha with chia seeds.  By the time I got home at 4:15, I wasn't feeling so great.  I ate some organic W30 compliant chicken sausage and felt worse.  Then I got some bad news and felt really bad.  I REALLY wanted a glass of wine for comfort, but had a good cry and made some broccoli and ate it with ghee.  I'm feeling a bit better now after that, but this day just, well, I began wondering if I should have started a Whole30 in the first place.  I'm planning better for tomorrow (I hope) - big smoothie for breakfast (which is usual for me, but I'll be replacing my Greek yogurt in it with avacado and banana).  I have to substitute teach, so I just put a small grassfed beef roast in the slow cooker.  I'll need comfort food for lunch tomorrow for sure :) I see now that planning REALLY helps.  I hope I can get it all together enough this weekend to plan my next week better.

I spent the morning cooking, one so/ so meal Short Ribs with Pearl Onions - not sure I really like pearl onions. Second was a saugage and ground beef chili that never taste the same way twice and that is a good thing, yummy this time.

My first day did not go as planned... For breakfast I had 3 eggs with onions and asparagus.  I used to love asparagus as a child, but this morning it tasted like potting soil - meh.  Then I had the most awful gastro-intestinal reaction.  And I have no idea why!  Other than maybe a little too early in the day for a heavier breakfast?  I took apples and cashews with me to the city because I had to take my 90 year old mother-in-law to the doctor.  I got my very first black Americano at Starbucks (not my first choice of venues, but it was all I had nearby) and it smelled like an ashtray.  I figured I wouldn't drink it and I'd just hold it for comfort :) but after it cooled off a bit, it wasn't too bad.  Mother's doctor visit lasted FOREVER so she and I were quite hungry.  She loves Mexican, and I thought oh no.  I can face Mexican today.  So I got her Qdoba and got nothing for myself.  Finally I got to eat some cashews at 1:45 pm.  Then later I had a gulp of husband's kombucha with chia seeds.  By the time I got home at 4:15, I wasn't feeling so great.  I ate some organic W30 compliant chicken sausage and felt worse.  Then I got some bad news and felt really bad.  I REALLY wanted a glass of wine for comfort, but had a good cry and made some broccoli and ate it with ghee.  I'm feeling a bit better now after that, but this day just, well, I began wondering if I should have started a Whole30 in the first place.  I'm planning better for tomorrow (I hope) - big smoothie for breakfast (which is usual for me, but I'll be replacing my Greek yogurt in it with avacado and banana).  I have to substitute teach, so I just put a small grassfed beef roast in the slow cooker.  I'll need comfort food for lunch tomorrow for sure :) I see now that planning REALLY helps.  I hope I can get it all together enough this weekend to plan my next week better.

Smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

Yay, Lent thread! Planning is essential! Big breakfasts are hard for me, too. I'm used to dumping a protein shake mix in my coffee and cruising out the door. Maybe the eggs for breakfast and then veggies a bit later to get the system used to food in the morning? I've had the Well Fed cookbook for awhile and can see where a weekly "cook up" (or at least chop up) will be really helpful. I'm down with a vicious chest cold, but the upside has been TIME to make homemade compliant soup, roast a bunch of chicken thighs and chop a bunch of veggies so that some of the work is done and there's at least SOMEThing to eat! Maybe I'll get over this cold sooner with all this real food? I do highly recommend Well Fed as it's about 90% compliant with lots of ideas for pulling stuff together. So! Today lunch was Chinese chicken soup (with coconut aminos and red chilis, tons of sliced garlic, carrot and celery, plus some leftover cabbage). Dinner- brussells sprouts with mustard and cider vinegar and grilled chicken thighs, sautéed with onion carrot,garlic, paprika and parsley. I simply must snack a bit at this point, but at least it's a quarter cup of hazelnuts and 4 dates, instead of something peanut butter related.

Anyone subscribing to the daily email thing? Is it worth it?

Support is good with meal suggestions. Especially since Fridays during Lent will be a challenge for us. Previous years, we had a routine on Fridays, either (fried) fish or veggie pizza Friday night.  We volunteer at our church's Lenten fish fry, so that will be a problem.

Breakfast should be ok, just eggs (but no bacon or sausage with it); or a pumpkin "souffle" that I make (canned pumpkin, eggs, coconut milk, whipped in blender and baked, served with coconut milk and blueberries). Lunch will be tuna or smoked salmon most likely.

Looking forward to supporting each other through Lent.

Yesterday went pretty well for me as far as food goes.  I was definitely tired and a bit cranky at the end of the day but that could have happened anyway.  For breakfast this morning I had my new favorite breakfast.  3 egg scramble topped with diced onion, avocado and fresh cilantro.  I know snacking is discouraged but plan to ease into that after the first week.  Eating within 1 hour of waking meant yesterday I was starving by 10 am because I get up at 5:30.  I did eat my lunch around 11 instead of 12 which is okay but that just meant I was starving by dinner.  I need to figure out a better way to stretch the time between meals.  Craftygrrl I would love your pumpkin soufflé recipe.  It sound wonderful.

Peahen65, I'm so sorry your day was so hard.  It will get easier!

I had a hard day too but that's because as a Catholic I had to fast AND start the Whole30.  I am sure today will be better.  I'm struggling with Friday meals too.  I stupidly turned all my eggs (save for two hard-boiled ones) into a bacon spinach frittata not remembering that I can't eat that tomorrow.  So I guess I can have the two hard-boiled ones.  Fish or shrimp for dinner shouldn't be that hard.  Not sure what I'll do for lunch at work--maybe get a salad w/fish or shrimp.

Today I'm having my bacon spinach frittata for breakfast, large salad w/turkey breast and grapes for lunch, and I'm still figuring out dinner.  Maybe fish?  I also brought hard boiled eggs and macadamia nuts for a snack if I need them.

I chose yesterday to start because I have the house to myself for a week, and I had so much going on Tuesday that it seemed much more sane to wait. It didn't have anything to do with Lent. But in retrospect, glad to see there's a group on the same timetable.

Yes, bethb, I'm receiving the daily emails.  I figured $15 was worth some extra encouragement and accountability.  I've been pondering getting some cookbooks for when I'm completely out of ideas (limited websurfing at home).  I am considering Well Fed and NomNom Paleo - Food for Humans.  Any other good (better?) ones out there?  Will probably make an Amazon order soon.

Today is going better... had my FIRST EVER avocado this morning and didn't mind it.  Ended up having to sub only a half day with the 1st graders and had no cravings all morning.  Pretty hungry by lunch so ate my grass-fed beef roast and carrots and onions.  Really enjoyed it all. I was very satisfied then... walking to my car I got this incredible CRAVING for dark chocolate! I mean I was full, happy, satisfied, and this thing just slammed me out of the blue!  So I chugged some water then high-tailed it to my favorite coffee shop for my second ever black Americano.  Very satisfying.  Afternoon snack will be big pile of broccoli that I didn't get to eat with lunch.

Oh, and I'm thrilled with coconut aminos!  I love soy sauce so used the aminos on my roast instead - opened the bottle last night and took a whiff - YUM.

Must take mother-in-law to MD in the city again tomorrow and want to be READY this time.  I've researched ahead for a Mexican place that has a compliant dish on their menu, so I think I'm prepared for lunch out with mother.

One more thing... something that will be very difficult to give up is weighing myself every morning!  I've done that for 2 and 1/2 years!  Confession: I cheated and weighed myself this morning.  Will need to have husband hide the scale ;)

Can't say enough good things about Well-Fed and Well-Fed 2. (Eating her Pad Thai right now; it calls for spaghetti squash instead of rice noodles.) It would be difficult to decide between the two books; I've bookmarked about the same number of recipes in each.

Weelllll, you can weigh on day one so you know where you are by the end, right? And I forgot on day one, so swearing off the scale starts now for me as well.

Discovered I only had one egg left this morning so mixed it up with some canned pumpkin, coconut oil and cinnamon...meh. But I'm full, so there's that.

Peahen65- Well Fed is awesome and the author's story included a Whole 30 as well, it's written to be mostly compliant with lots of time saving ideas. And there's this chili recipe with . . . (Wait for it...) Dark Chocolate!!! Unsweetened of course. I'm thinking about getting Well Fed 2, as well. You can also find the author's recipes on her blog, The Clothes Make the Girl. I've got Against All Grain, too, but there's a lot of Paleo baking in it that doesn't work right now.

Good luck everyone on the rest of the day!

Hi Everyone-  I would love to join this group too!  I started my second W30 yesterday.  I have tried a few times to do a second W30 for a full 30 days but have yet to get there....since it is Lent I know I will focus and follow through.

Pea - I agree with others, WellFed is really good, I have made many of the things in it.  I love her sunshine sauce recipe....and of course how she makes mayo...I love mayo!!! 

For anyone that is doing their first Whole30 I cannot say it enough but eating enough fat is key!!!  When you body makes the move from carbs to not having carbs you have to give your brain and body enough fat.  It is very satisfying.

I can't wait for day 5, that is when my brain gets into full fat mode and I am just plain HAPPY, it is so awesome to go through the day smiling ;)

I know last time seeing what others was eating helped me a lot and gave me ideas.   So let's do that, it is so helpful! 

Todays plan:

B- eggs with swiss chard and avocado

L- ground meat with spinach, olive oil, vinegar, apple slices

D - tuna burgers, parsnip/ carrot puree, salad with olive oil

I've been super hungry today which is weird because I thought I was having plenty of protein!  Ate my hard-boiled eggs and macadamia nut snacks and still starving.  Guess it will be an early dinner!

Lunch- leftover carnitas from Well Fed and sautéed cabbage w/ red pepper flakes. Dinner- Moroccan meatballs made with ground turkey and spaghetti squash.

I think day 2 is just my blah day.

But I made my own almond butter and that was fun!

Good morning.  I had a headache all day yesterday.  So far so good today.  Breakfast today will be the last of the sweet potato hash with a couple eggs.  Lunch will be leftovers from last nights dinner of crockpot beef with carrots and green beans. I was thinking of the chocolate chili recipe I have heard of for dinner but I don't have all of the ingredients.  Oh crap I just remembered it's Friday.  I found some compliant canned tuna yesterday I will have to figure something out for that.  I haven't tried to make the mayo yet so I have no idea what to put in the tuna.  I wonder if my kids will notice we aren't having cheese pizza if I don't mention it.  I really need to learn how to cook fish at home.  I like eating it out but every time I tried to cook it at home it was an epic fail.  Anyone have any fool proof fish recipes?  I'm actually a pretty good cook but I just can't seem to get fish right.

Greetings!  I'm in for the 40 days, too.  Last night's supper was stuffed peppers.  I used this recipe:

http://www.ourpaleolife.com/2013/09/paleo-stuffed-peppers/

I used about a third more meat than it called for, and left out the cumin, as my family does not like cumin.  Otherwise, followed it.  It was really good, and the fam wants me to put it in the regular meal rotation.!  Win!  :)

I also have a scrumptious creamy balsamic vinaigrette recipe, but I have to find Dijon mustard with no wine in it.  Might try it with regular mustard. Otherwise I have to order the non-wine Dijon.

Good morning crew - it is Friday so the meat has to hold off until tomorrow!  This weekend I have to really get cooking so I can have food for my family, it is so much easier when my kids and husband are also eating the food I eat.  Making pasta, rice and bread dishes and trying not to eat them is just painful!  Mine do love paleo food, it just gets pricey - but everyone should get healthy along with me!

lujo - I love this salmon recipe - it really is super easy in the oven http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-salmon-ii/

M- egg salad with celery

L- broccoli soup made with ghee

D- fish, sauteed kale and carrot/ parsnip puree

I usually bake my fish but the last two nights I've been pan searing (works with thin cuts).  Made a breakfast with stuff I had that was non-meat (and non egg since my eggs are gone).  Having sweet potatoes w/almond butter and coconut.  Not bad!

I haven't felt sick or headachy but I've been very tired and more hungry than I feel I should be!  

Oh, and setback yesterday . . . I realized my coconut milk that I drink with my morning coffee has carrageenan in it. I didn't realize that was a "restart" additive and I had bought the wrong coconut milk accidentally.  So that means I have to restart but since I'm doing the Whole 30 for Lent I will be ok.  Hard with these sneaky food additions!

Archived