My log (on a blog)

KarenStaughton

Hi all

My friend and I started a paleo blog (I say started, we set it up and never posted) but we decided to do a Whole30 from March 1st, so I thought it would be a good motivator (it's actually one of my goals to write every day) to get cracking on the blog.

We will be using it to post recipes and other bits during / after our Whole30 as well, but I'd love to get feedback or get links to other people's blogs so we can link it all up.

I'm on day 5 and feeling pretty good, look forward to meeting some other Whole30 folks.

The blog is here: http://www.sunshineafterthegrain.com

Sorry, but the porridge is not compliant, as it's Paleo-ifying a treat, which isn't allowed on a Whole30.

Look to create meals that meet the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat.

Hi Chris

I'd come on to share my experience and meet people - disappointed the first and only response was 'you're not doing it right', but ho hum!

I've read up on Danielle's reasons for including the nut porridge (and I tend to agree - it's a snack of nuts and a banana with some coconut milk, this isn't a pudding, nor is it particularly sweet), in terms of the chia porridge I didn't see anything that would call this SWYPO (especially considering I've never liked 'normal' porridge in my life)... It's just chia seeds (which are technically compliant) soaked in coconut milk with some cinnamon.

I'm not sure if you're saying that because I didn't follow the meal template it's not complaint. Obviously that's the template but if I eat a piece of chicken on it's own that's bad meal planning but not uncompliant, correct?

I've had (very) long conversations about SWYPO and I think there should be an element of knowing yourself in this situation... I don't consider porridge a treat. If you make celeriac chips (fries), is that SWYPO or a preparation method? I make chicken strips... surely that's paleofying a treat technically? Would you say that any recipe that creates a paleo version is non-compliant (i.e. meatballs that would normally use flour, using almond flour... or in fact, no binding? it's still paleofying something?)

I'm sorry if you took offense to my post. You did request feedback, and my intention is for you to get the best possible outcome on your Whole30.

The meal template is a recommendation, not a requirement. History of 1000's of people completing the Whole30 has shown that folks who follow the meal template for every meal get the best results. Porridge, while having compliant ingredients, is not the best choice as it doesn't fit the template.

The Paleo-ifying is mostly around creating treats with compliant ingredients.  A treat could be pizza, baked goods, or other desserts, for example.  The meatball example you gave would not fall into that category. The porridge walks a fine line on Paleo-ifying/SWYPO.

Bottom line: there are countless other choices that are so much better than porridge. I invite to you explore those options as you continue your Whole30.

I've read up on Danielle's reasons for including the nut porridge (and I tend to agree - it's a snack of nuts and a banana with some coconut milk, this isn't a pudding, nor is it particularly sweet), in terms of the chia porridge I didn't see anything that would call this SWYPO (especially considering I've never liked 'normal' porridge in my life)... It's just chia seeds (which are technically compliant) soaked in coconut milk with some cinnamon.

Hi Karen and welcome!

One thing to remember is that this is not Danielle's program (is this from the Against All Grain cookbook?), this is Dallas and Melissa's program, and the two philosophies are quite different. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, in fact, my own parents had success doing the 21 day sugar detox (Diane Sanfillipo's program) when the whole30 did not work for them at all. They needed a program that included this sort of "comfort zone" food, and a slower more gradual transition. The whole30 is kind of like ripping off a bandage, and it can feel too strict or too constricting or too unfamiliar to too extreme to some. If this is you, then I would encourage you to try something like the 21 day Sugar Detox first. That said, if it's the whole30 that you want to do, I would strongly encourage you to go all the way. Follow the rules as well as the recommendations. Don't settle for "technically compliant" and give your body the best possible nutrition you can for the duration of the program. Good luck, I wish you the best with however you choose to proceed.

Archived