Spirulina

carlag

I've heard great things about Spirulina and its health benefits. Is it ok to have?

I also read this, which made me worry about it:

Side Effects

Although most side effects associated with spirulina and chlorella are not particularly harmful, they should still be taken into consideration. Chlorella can cause you to be over-sensitive to sunlight; it can also cause bloating, cramping and diarrhea. Spirulina can also produce some uncomfortable gastrointestinal effects, including diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, as well as insomnia and anxiety.

• Moderators

Spirulina is basically dried algae that has been used as food in some areas for hundreds of years. You could eat it during a Whole30, but there does not appear to be anything special about it that recommends you do.

I eat SeaSnax (dried seaweed) every day, but don't have any interest in spirulina. Hmm.

Although I agree that spirulina and chlorella are healthy supplements, I avoid them unless I am sure of the source, - due to the amount of radioactive water that is being dumped into the Pacific Ocean from the damaged nuclear plants in Japan.

Anyway, if you are eating strict Whole30, so-called "superfoods" are really not all that necessary. :) The way I see Paleo/Ancestral eating, is if your ancestors came from a coastal town and ate more fish/seaweed than anything else, then you will probably do very well on those things, but perhaps not everyone will. That is not a scientific fact, just my opinion! ;)

• 8 months later...

Archived