Onion Soup

tj2650

Ok, I think I found a midway ground with this idea... Hubby can have his croutons and cheese and I will just eat it plain (I guess I need to put some meat in it) cause I love onion soup, so this should be good for a lunch.  Possibly need a side of roasted carrots...

What do you think of this plan.. If you agree it may be a good one.. Can you link me up with some Whole30 approved recipes...

Yes, getting some protein either in the soup or on the side, along with the added vegetables, is a good plan for you.  

I would suggest Googling Paleo onion soup and see what you can find. Carefully check the ingredients for Whole30 compliance.

Ok, I think I found a midway ground with this idea... Hubby can have his croutons and cheese and I will just eat it plain (I guess I need to put some meat in it) cause I love onion soup, so this should be good for a lunch.  Possibly need a side of roasted carrots...

What do you think of this plan.. If you agree it may be a good one.. Can you link me up with some Whole30 approved recipes...

Sounds like a good idea to me. If you already have a french onion soup recipe you can use that and just substitute the non compliant ingredients. Here is a link to one. You will have to use Ghee instead of butter, Chicken broth instead of beef broth (unless you make your own), omit the red wine and use compliant vinegar. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/French-Onion-Soup-Gratinee/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=onion%20soup&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1. Enjoy!

For protein, I have discovered that egg salad, tuna salad, and chicken salad are all nice with soup. Then, you have soup and salad.  I just couldn't figure out how to get protein into the soup easily, although I do use a method to add egg to broth-y soups.

Follow the part about the egg, lemon juice, and tempering with broth: http://greekfood.about.com/od/greeksoups/r/Chicken-Soup-Avgolemono-Greek-Egg-Lemon-Chicken-Soup.htm

(I've never had onion soup, but I'm guessing this would not be ideal for that soup.  Just an idea for the future.  Nice creamy soups and an easy way to add cheap protein.)

Archived