LuJo's first Whole30

lujo238

I am on day 5 of my first whole 30. So far so good I guess. I have been very tired most of the days so far. This morning I got up an hour before my alarm for some reason. I could not get back to sleep though I did try. So now I am on here looking for recipes. I am planning to cook up some chicken breast today to use through out the week. I also plan to dice a ton of vegetables. Last week I made a sweet potato hash that I ate 3-4 times for breakfast. I would like something new for this week. Meal one is the hardest for me time wise. Lunch is usually leftovers from the night before. I am thinking of some sort of egg muffins.  I have some sausage I want to use in the muffins for a fast and easy meal one. I saw someone suggest putting in different vegetables in the muffin cups to have a variety. I may try that.  I also might try the buffalo chicken muffins.

You could do the same thing at meal 1 as you're doing for lunch: leftovers from previous meal.

For me, I don't want to cook in the morning, so I make breakfasts ahead of time that make multiple servings that I can reheat. I rotate through several recipes that make 4-6 servings, so I cook once (usually in the afternoon), and have several meal 1's. 

One of my favorites is this Primal Breakfast Casserole. I substitute 1/2 a large rutabaga for the 3 turnips, and reduce the cooking time 5 minutes on each phase. Also substitute grass fed ground beef for the sausage.

Thank you for the casserole suggestion. I have never had a rutabaga or turnips. If I can work up the courage I'll have to try it.

I really can't believe how tired I am.  I did a cook up today and I feel exhausted.  I have several items ready to go. I have several egg meat muffins for grab and go breakfast. I saw a suggestion on here to create a variety so I have two with broccoli, four asparagus, four collard greens, and eight red pepper. They were a little smaller than I expected so I double bagged them. Two chicken breasts precooked for a quick salad or stir fry. Two fish dinners for the whole family in the freezer. Meatloaf formed and ready for the oven tomorrow. I chopped or sliced two tomatoes, two onions, one red pepper, four stalks of celery, ten carrots, and four beets. Only one red pepper because we ate the other one.  Oops!

My gut feels  great. No bloating, gas, or other troubles.  I'm not even hungry.  I just had to make myself eat so I wouldn't find myself in the kitchen later.  oh and I almost forgot the best part.  Perfect mayo on my first try. I was truly impressed with myself. 

My tummy's a little funky this morning after breakfast.  I had a couple of the egg/meat/veg muffins I made yesterday. The only thing new in them was the sausage.  It came from a local grass fed beef and pastured pork supplier and I asked about ingredients.  There was nothing but the pork and some spices in it.  I can't remember them now but nothing strange.  Hmm.  I hope it goes away soon and isn't the sausage as I prepared a weeks worth of the things for breakfast.

My stomach felt better after a couple hours. I did still have some nuts for a snack between breakfast and lunch. No snack in the afternoon though.  Dinner won't be ready for another 30 minutes though and I am starving. Logged on here to kill some time. 

Today's menu

Breakfast: two meat egg veg muffins

Snack: pecans

Lunch: chicken salad with homemade mayo apples celery walnuts and half a red pepper

Dinner: meatloaf sweet potato sugar snap peas

Day 7/Day 0?

Today I mindlessly had sugarless gum after lunch.  It didn't even register what I was doing until I was spitting it out.  I'm not sure if that is a big enough transgression to require a re-start or not.

Other than that I did pretty good.  I added a sweet potato to my breakfast from yesterday and it kept me full longer.  I made it to lunch with no snacks.  My dinner was delayed an hour or I probably would have made that too.  My daughters soccer practice ran long and I ate some almonds I had in my purse.  Todays menu was.

1- egg meat veg muffins and a sweet potato with cinnamon and black coffee

2- leftover meatloaf sweet potato and sugar snap peas from last night

3- chicken soup with carrots broccoli and onion cooked in the soup and a big scoop of home made chunky guacamole salsa on top  I would probably add some tomato to the broth as well next time and more spices as it was a little thin and bland .

It was Trident's cinnamon flavor.  A quick Google search found the below.

Sorbitol, gum base, xylitol, glycerin, natural and artificial flavoring, mannitol, acesulfamine, potassium, sucralose, soy lecithin, red 40 lake and BHT

Day 8

Woke with a headache today and with less pep than previous days.  I ate breakfast earlier than yesterday because I felt like I ate too early yesterday.  Now here it is an hour before lunch and I am already thinking about it.  Decided to log on here to distract myself for a minute.  How important is it to eat within an hour of waking?  Mornings are the toughest for me.  My time is always very rushed and it is sometimes hard to eat a full meal that early for me.  Today I practically choked on the sweet potato I had.  I don't think it was because I was too full just my body saying please no more sweet potatoes. I have had 4 in the last 48 hours and enough is enough. LOL

Okay my hunger pangs have passed for now I will get back to work.

If you are having trouble finishing an entire first meal (by the template minimum) within an hour of waking I would suggest eating what you can paying attention to each component and saving the rest for a mini meal. The hope is that your body will eventually adjust. Most people have fasted for close to 12 hours by the time they wake up so eating soon after tells your body that you were just sleeping not starving it and now you are feeding it again. There is a more scientific way to say that but that is the jist. What was your first meal today? If you are tired of sweet potatoes you can have less (and evaluate how your energy level is with less) or try some other starchy vegetables like beets, winter squash (pumpkin, acorn, delicata, etc), parsnips, etc. Variety is key to not getting bored with your food.

Day 10

I forgot to log yesterday.  I guess nothing exciting happened. Today we tried cod on the grill.  I marinated it in olive oil, salt, pepper and some fresh basil.  We also had roasted sweet potato cubes and asparagus. Oh and a spinach salad with onion and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette to start.  We capped it off with a wedge of cantaloupe.  I enjoyed everything but the fish.  I even tried it with clarified butter and tarter sauce.  Nope it was awful.  What a disappointment and an expensive one as well.  I think we will stick with eggs for dinner on Fridays for lent. 

Day 13

So I didn't log over the weekend.  Just too busy.  I did the grocery shopping Saturday and spent $65 at the grocery store and $130 at the farm market.  Not too bad If I can keep it around $200 a week.  Between lots of junk food and fast food we were spending at least that much before.  We'll see what I need to go back for mid-week.  More later as I am out of time this morning.

Day 14

Yesterday was a good day I think.  Had a super hard time eating sweet potatoes at breakfast though.  I will need to discover a new morning veg that is filling.  Lunch yesterday was a chicken stir fry with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.  Oh and some grapes.  Dinner was corned beef and cabbage with carrots.  After dinner I had a pear.

I feel pretty good but I may be getting a bit constipated and my skin is very oily.  I am breaking out like crazy.  I am also ovulating so my hormones are totally out of whack.

OMG! Worked out for the first time in months.  By worked out I mean I walked 1.3 miles in 30 minutes.  My little phone app says I burned 350 or so calories.  There was lots of up and down sections on the trail at my park.  I was using a C25K app but only ran the first three times it said to.  After that I was just not able to run anymore.  It's sad because 1 year ago I was taking Zumba 2-3 times a week, plus running my neighborhood twice a week.  Plus using the weight machines at my gym twice a week.  Slowly I started cutting back.  First it was my son's baseball practice, then cheer and football, then even more lame excuses.  Now I think it has been somewhere between 3-6 months since I worked out at all.  :(  I put on quite a bit of weight in the last year too.  Which is why I am here.  I figured today being two weeks it was time to get back to exercising as well.  I am totally exhausted.  Hmm? My gym has Zumba at 5:30 tomorrow. Dare I jump right back in?  Will I drop dead in the back row? LOL

Day 15

Burnt my breakfast a bit this morning.  Ate it anyway because I had no time to start over.  Breakfast is the hardest meal of the day for me because I just suck at getting up and going in the mornings.  That's really something I need to work on.  I think I will start trying to eat breakfast first instead of last.  It may take some getting used to but if I can eat while I do my morning email/mail sort I can perhaps save a little time.

I did eat some almonds and a pear after dinner last night.  I was hungry I think because of the walking I did.  It feels good to have added some sort of exercise back to my day.  I think I will hold off on Zumba for another week or so. My challenge for myself is to run more Thursday than I did Tuesday. 

Day 17

So I have discovered the joy of hot plates from the Well Fed cookbook.  I made one od the Italian ones a couple days ago.  Ground beef with tomatoes, zucchini, and olives with her Pizza spice blend.  It was awesome.  Last night my mother made one.  I am not sure if she got it from the book or made it up but is had pork loin chop cut into bite sized pieces, sugar snap peas, carrots, and onions with a Chinese 5 spice blend.  I was not sure I would like the spice blend but it was good.  she looked for coconut aminos and could not find them.  We are not big soy sauce users so I wonder if we even need it.  I would just as soon use some other spices for an Asian flavor. 

Tonight we try fish again.  Wish me luck.

Day 19

So yesterday I went to the grocery store.  I feel like I should be past this stage but all of a sudden I am sad and angry every time I see certain foods.  It started with my trying to find a compliant lunchmeat.  I found a local store that carries Applegate Farms but their selection was so slim and none of it was compliant.  They had one ham with molasses in it and two turkeys.  One with Cane sugar and the other with carageenen.  I could have cried I was so disappointed.  Eating leftovers for lunch everyday has started to wear thin.  I'm not sure what's up with my emotions.  It is not the right time of the month for it but I feel so damn weepy.

Day 19

So yesterday I went to the grocery store.  I feel like I should be past this stage but all of a sudden I am sad and angry every time I see certain foods.  It started with my trying to find a compliant lunchmeat.  I found a local store that carries Applegate Farms but their selection was so slim and none of it was compliant.  They had one ham with molasses in it and two turkeys.  One with Cane sugar and the other with carageenen.  I could have cried I was so disappointed.  Eating leftovers for lunch everyday has started to wear thin.  I'm not sure what's up with my emotions.  It is not the right time of the month for it but I feel so damn weepy.

Sounds like you are a little early on the timeline but in the "I'm so over this" phase. Hang in there! Deli meat is a hard one. From what I've read (I'm not a big deli meat person myself) you may have better luck going to the counter than the prepackaged stuff. Ask a lot of questions about the ingredients and see what you can do. When I get lunch time leftover hangover I usually go for things like grass fed hot dogs with kraut or a burger and sweet potatoes or tuna salad on cucumber slices. Whatever feels easy and fun and lunchy but is still compliant. 

Day 19

I'm right there with you. Yesterday I wanted to tip over a grocery display because, out of EIGHTEEN options, there was NO chicken or beef stock without a forbidden ingredient in it. (And let's not mention how upset I was to realize that the brand I'd used during my first W30 contained sugar that I'd somehow not seen.) Finally found an OK brand at a second store. But that frustration... it's draining. I channeled a lot of that negative energy into cooking 3 of my favorite W30 meals yesterday, and lo and behold today doesn't look quite so hopeless. Maybe a cooking night is in order for you?

Day 21

Yesterday I felt better than the previous two days.  It helped that my face cleared up a bit and I was at work so too busy to stress over food.  Plus after posting my frustrations yesterday I made what was probably my best dinner yet.  From theclothesmakethegirl.com I made her leftover chicken curry with green beans.  Instead of making the curry blend from scratch I used a store bought one that I found that was compliant.  It was so good I actually looked forward to eating it again for lunch.  Today I am taking your suggestion Physibeth and having tuna with homemade mayo and some red and orange pepper strips.  I really do need a cook up.  I skipped it this weekend and as a result last night thrown together dinner was a bit meh.  I had some ground beef defrosted so I asked my daughter what she wanted for dinner.  She wanted a Chinese hotplate with carrots and cauliflower. I tried making the Best Stir Fry Spice Blend ever but didn't have all of the ingredients.  I'm not big on soy sauce so I didn't buy coconut aminos but it is called for in a lot of things.  I also substituted lemon juice for the orange and didn't have any rice vinegar.  Since I didn't chop any carrots this weekend I ended up using frozen carrots.  Everything tasted okay but it's definitely not a repeat recipe like the curry from the night before.  Thanks for the encouragement Chocoholic.  I finally just made my own chicken broth for when I need some.  It's frozen in leftover Chinese quart size soup containers as an easy soup base.  Maybe that's an idea for tomorrow.  I could use a nice soup.

Archived