To have a glass of wine or not?

My whole30 ended yesterday, however, I'm continuing for 1 more week because I'm running a marathon this weekend. I didn't want to try to mess up my digestive system right before my marathon. My issue is, I'm going out for a friends birthday tomorrow to a chocolate and wine bar. My problem is my friends purposely schedule the celebration for tomorrow since I was suppose to be done with my whole30, not realizing I'm extending it a week. 

So here's my question. I really would like to drink 1 glass of wine tomorrow. What does everyone think about that? Yes, it's going against the "rules," however, I'm fine with not reintroducing any other foods if that's what I should do. I completed my whole30, which was my goal, so this week is just extra secondary to my upcoming race. 

Well, I'd say if you completed the Whole 30, you're good to go with a glass of wine if you want. Technically after 30 days there are no rules, just guidelines on reintroductions. And of course, if you're continuing without wanting to add any grains/dairy/legumes back in, then really you just keep going on your merry way.

Good luck with your marathon, I admire you!

I think one glass of wine, and even a bite or two of chocolate is fine! I don't think there will be crazy GI repercussions, and you will have a couple days before the marathon of super clean eating anyway. If you were wanting to have a glass of MILK or a waffle or something there might be an issue but I think you'll be a-ok 

I think a glass of wine would be fine since you finished your Whole30. Just pay attention to how you feel and treat it as a reintroduction of alcohol. I think I would stick to white wine though because reds can cause some folks problems.

For red versus white, I'd ask what was your preference before the Whole 30 and why?

I find that two things with wine give me headaches, high tannin levels and high sugar levels. So I avoid oak-y reds and sweet whites personally.

I say go for that one glass of wine, enjoy it, and jump back on the saddle! You finished your Whole30, and I think that's what counts. Like mentioned above, after Whole30, it's really just guidelines and advice to follow.. especially for someone who may have been having serious issues before their Whole30. 

So, how did it go?  I had completed a dtox program about a year and a half ago and after 2 weeks of very clean eating I had a glass of wine at the end.  I felt terrible the next morning! I am a red wine drinker normally and don't usually have any issues. This is the one thing I am nervous about re-introducing. 

I don't know what other's experiences have been after re-introducing alcohol after the Whole 30, but on my experience after a 2 week dtox, I think waiting might be a good idea.  You've trained hard for your marathon and done great through your Whole 30.  What's waiting another few days going to hurt??  My son's family bday party is this weekend and I too am just finishing my Whole 30.  Although I had been looking forward to celebrating with a glass of red, I've pretty much decided I'm not going to.  As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of extending my Whole 30 by another 2 weeks.

Archived