Approved foods that you had to eliminate?

So I've always loved my sweet potatoes and just recently heard of putting almond butter (or other nut butter) on them.

OMG.  So good.

At first it was fine and they are super filling but...then I found myself fixing another when I wasn't hungry.

So...I'm done with those for the duration of the whole30, and maybe forever if I can't get a handle on it.

Pre whole30 I had to eliminate paleo pancakes because I just went crazy for them and ate way too many in a sitting.

So, my question is, have you had to eliminate any whole30 approved foods because they became food without brakes for you and what is your plan for the future?  Eliminate permanently?  How are you coping with that?

Food without brakes for me are...

Cocoa

Nut butters

SWYPO pancakes (i know, i know)

Dates

Apples/bananas

Grapes

I am on day 24 of my first whole 30, I'm going to do an AIP whole 30 next, so that'll completely cut out cocoa & nuts for me. I will then see how I feel - hopefully my cravings for them would have reduced.

• Moderators

Fruit, nuts, and nut butters, especially coconut butter, are no longer hand to mouth food for me. I'll use fruit and nuts sparingly in recipes when called for, but other than that, no. Definite food without brakes for me.

Sweet potatoes are wonderful, though. Have you considered eating them a different, perhaps more savory, way? I love them with mashed avocado, salt, and pepper.

Nut butters.  During my Whole30, I allowed myself to have them and justified it as "if this is really my worst habit, I'm doing alright," but now that I'm done and reintroducing things back in, I'm really going to try to cut them out with the exception of dressings and sauces.  I've caught myself eating too much of them and they are too high calorie to get away with that!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still doing the sweet potatoes, just not with almond butter on top.  Too dangerous.

Now I am enjoying them grated and made into hashbrowns, baked and then topped with salt and ghee and diced and roasted with olive oil and salt.  I have no problem stopping when I have them this way.

I'm also not doing sweet potatoes. I had them on day two and they caused major honger pains for hours. I'm also not doing fruit, because they cause me to eat more and more. And yesterday I had three eggs and I was gassy al day, when just the day before I told myself how good it feels not to be so gassy all the time. I love eggs, but I'm giving them up for a week or so, then have one and see how I react. 

Archived