Questions before I committ

Coilee1

I'm sorry... this is going to be long.

I've been following a mostly paleo diet (with many ups and downs) for close to a year.  Although I found the Whole30 website fairly early in my journey, paleo was so new to me that I felt overwhelmed even considering such a drastic step as 30 days of only real food.

I'm happy to report that I'm over that now. The only real adjustments I'll have to make for a whole 30 are to eliminate cream from my coffee (I only drink a cup in the morning and one in the afternoon, so I'll probably just give up coffee), forgo the gluten-free cupcake I enjoy on the weekends and the bit of organic dark chocolate I allow myself daily. It feels very doable... except...

One of the major reasons I switched to a paleo diet was that I hoped to control my anxiety through diet and exercise and get off the drugs Citalopram and Wellbutrin. Let's just say it was a disastrous beginning, and about 4 months after stopping the drugs I was a desperate wreck. Instead of going back on the drugs, my naturopathic chiropractor suggested I continue to work on my diet and try an anti-anxiety supplement protoccol through the company Standard-Process.  Reluctantly I agreed to give it a try (although I really just wanted my drugs back) and was surprised that within a couple of weeks I was feeling relief. I've been taking this supplement protoccol for almost 6 months now.  Although the anxiety is much relieved and mostly under control, it's not been easy.  First, life challenged me with some extra anxiety producing events, then I developed a persistant rash that spread heavily to my upper chest, chin and nose area (toxin release we believe, not stress).  In fact, just 3 days ago I stopped taking the majority of the supplements.  The rash has become unbearable and we need to determine if the supplements are indeed the cause. I see the chiropractor again in a little over a week and we'll try to figure it out from there.

Also, when I stopped eating so many processed foods a year ago I began to suffer from muscle cramps in my toes and calves, especially in the morning.  The chiropractor suggested I add sea salt to my diet (I had been CRAVING salt but thought it was bad for me) and the cramps and cravings declined.  In order to keep them under control, however, I worked up to a salt dosage that caused extensive swelling in my legs. We backed down to only 1/4 tsp (heaping) of sea salt daily (plus a little salt on my food), and the cramps returned.  For about 4 months I've been using the magnesium supplement "Natural Calm," but the cramps never totally went away and seem to be regaining strength. He and I are trying to determine the next step.

So, as I consider beginning a Whole30, this is what I wonder about:

1) In order to truly follow the rules of the Whole30, do I need to stop taking the Standard-Process supplements. (Valerian root, min-tran, catalyn)  If so... I don't think I'm ready.

2) I also take the drug levothyroxine for hypothyroidism.  As much as I'd love to stop taking it, I don't have confidence in my body to regulate my thyroid. Does this invalidate the Whole30?

3) Would I have to stop taking the "Natural Calm" magnesium supplement.  I'd love to ditch this... I think it makes me sleepy... but I'm worried about more leg cramping.

So... thanks for reading my story.  What do you think?

With respect to Natural Calm, you can have the unsweetened variety.  Many people here take it.  I have found that chelated magnesium works better for me.  I learned of it here, too, and it is easier on my digestive system and doesn't seem to have an impact on sleep.  I buy it in capsules.  Maybe this is something to consider.

Also, medication usually trumps Whole30 rules.  Sometimes, the formulas and delivery systems include off-plan ingredients.  It is worth checking into these and asking if a formula that is compliant exists or could be made available to you.  Many people here have thyroid problems and you may be able to find advice they have gotten or given in the past.

• Moderators

Medications are always acceptable during a Whole30.

Many people learn about Natural Calm when they come here and begin taking it during their Whole30. We recommend you take it just before bed to help you get to sleep.

The supplement you mention would be fine if it does not include additional off-plan ingredients like soy, dairy, or added sugar.

• Moderators

Check the labels on your Standard Process supplements, but in my experience they are generally very clean and W30 compliant.

I also work with a chiropractor/functional medicine doc who has me on a slew of supplement and I take levothyroxine daily. It's all compliant.

Stopping synthroid sounds like a really bad idea and could contribute to worsening stress and fatigue.  If you really clean up your diet, it may be worth asking your doctor to check for TSH levels again in a few months, and at that point, he/she could suggest a lower dose if, in fact, your hypothyroidism is diet related.  (which it probably isn't)

Archived