Concerta Munchies

I've just started my second Whole30 and I'm running into some snags.

I have a medical condition called Addison's Disease that I take 20 mg of cortef and 0.1mg of florinef for, and I also have ADHD which I am currently on 72 mg of the sustained release Concerta for.

My last Whole30 I tried not taking the Concerta and it was not great. I did feel better because of the eating habits but I was still not consistent like I am on Concerta.

My biggest problem right now is this: when the meds wear off I am starving! I way overeat and at night which also isn't good for me. I (like most people) suffer from disordered eating and while the Whole30 aims to change that, the meds make it worse. But when I don't take them I'm just not as good at life as I should be.

Does anyone have experience with this?

If you know you'll be hungry late at night, then what you should do is just have a meal by the template. That way you will not be eating crap. Try getting rid of everything you can't eat on the Whole30 from your house so you know that everything you can eat is compliant at least.

So far I am eating compliant foods...just far too much of them at night and it's a habit I would like to get rid of. For example for dinner yesterday I had turkey wings and spaghetti squash then 20 minutes later I had a big bowl of soup I made with chicken and turkey sausage, bone broth and sweet potato. Then 30 minutes later I had another big bowl of soup. Then 5 minutes later I had an apple...and it was 10 at night and I went to bed with a gurgley stomach. At the time I felt "fish and broccoli" hungry but after an hour laying in bed I was stuffed and still am this morning.

I was just hoping to come across someone who has gone through this who has advice for me. From when I wake up to dinner time my eating is pretty good I think. I think it's the meds in combination with my eating issues.

Do you eat enough during the day? If the concerta supresses your apetite during the day you might not be eating enough, and maybe that is what is catching up to you at night as the medication wears off?

Also, what other kind of eating issues is it you mentioned having? Are you at a healthy weight?

It does suppress my appetite but I try to eat breakfast before I take it and I do eat lunch. Usually salad and soup and maybe some fruit. Sometimes a snack of meat or something before dinner but not usually. I always aim to have dinner by 6...and rarely do. I've been making an effort to get up in time to make a real breakfast instead of just drinking a protein shake in the car like I used to.

I am overweight. I was about 40lbs under weight when I was diagnosed with Addison's. I gained weight quickly due to the medication and that lead to disorderd eating...chronic binge eating and then trying not to eat, not taking my medication properly etc. I only started the Concerta this year. I have been off and on Ritalin for years but I don't like it and I would prefer not to have to take anything. The "Concerta Munchies" are contributing to my binge eating/punishing myself problem. So I'm not sure if one out weighs the other... If I don't take it I don't get things done like housework or projects or things like that.

I would write out a time plan for your day, with all your meals and medications on it and look at whether the meals match your medication outcomes.

I used to kill myself working out early in the morning on an empty stomach and I was amazed at my better health when I stopped doing it lol Sometimes a big shakeup of your routine is in order.

If it makes you hungry, I'd move a real meal that you need, to be in the spot where the hunger hits.

Archived