WholeBunchOJunk's 2nd Whole30 Log

WholeBunchOJunk

Day 10

(Tuesday, April 1)

Okay still feeling like I need a nap and it's only 5:38 a.m.  Been up since 3:00 a.m., went to bed at 8:00 pm last night.  I feel like I'm sleeping, but not.  Does that make sense.  I did have lots of awake time that I remember, but it seems like in between I'm getting a little.  Maybe it's time for a new mattress and a sleep study, lol.

M1 (3:15 a.m.):  1 egg muffin, 1 slice bacon, org. decaf coffee w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

M2 (6:00 a.m.):  2 HB eggs, 3 slices bacon, 3 artichoke bottoms, 1 small banana

Exercise (7:20 - 7:45 a.m.):  Recumbent bike at work, 25 min.

Musing at 10:16 a.m.:  sort of feeling like killing all the things...it's way back in the background, but it sort of wants to come forward...that mixed with the twinkie thing.  I'm sort of craving sweet coffee--I think sweet coffee is my Twinkie, lol.  And, still have that nap thing going on as well. :P

M3 (11:15 a.m.):   ground beef, tomato sauce, zucchini (as zoodles), ghee; 1 apple -- you know, every time I make this lunch people in the lunchroom oh and ah over it--so happy it is Whole30 compliant, lol.

M4 (? p.m.):   salad:  romaine, shredded carrots, 1/2 avocado, grape tomatoes, cucumber, slivered almonds, chicken thigh meat; balsamic & olive oil

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 11

(Wednesday, April 2)

Well, I may not be sleeping, but I woke up dancing, lol.  I do think I slept better last night and actually don't feel as tired, but I DID wake up at 1:38 a.m. and never went back to sleep.  Sigh.

M1 (3:00 a.m.):  forgot to take out one of my muffins, so just scrambled 1 egg with some red bell pepper and had that with 1 slice of bacon, then organic decaf with 1/4 can of full fat coconut milk

M2 (6:00 a.m.):  2 HB eggs, 2 artichoke bottoms, 3 slices bacon, 1 small apple

M3 (11:20 am):  ground beef and tomato sauce over zoodles; ripe green olives

M4 (5:10 p.m.):  salad: romaine, shredded carrots, grape tomatoes, beets, 1/2 avocado, 2 tiny cans tuna in olive oil (totals 4 oz), slivered almonds, balsamic & olive oil

I got a new VivoFit a couple of days ago, so for my exercise today I will be walking around trying to keep the red bars of inactivity from flashing at me.  And I may hop on the recumbent bike as well...but really feel more like walking.

Welll, crapppo!, lol.  Just read elsewhere on the forums that the Calafia Farms Coconut Almond Milk I bought is not compliant!  Fortunately I haven't been using it for a week or so, but I did put a splash of it in my coffee this morning.  DANG IT!  Well, fortunately I have always intended to do at least a Whole60, so it looks like it's more important than ever.  Stupid super-fine fine print.

Coconut/Almond milk is now down the drain.   :)

Day 12

(Thursday, April 3)

I actually think I might have slept well last night.  Still not long enough, but quality is always best.  I did get up twice to use the restroom, but went back to sleep each time, woke up at 2:18 or so (went to bed at 8:10 pm).

M1 (3:10 a.m.):  Egg muffin (1 egg, shredded carrot/broccoli, mushroom, orange bell pepper), 1 slice bacon, org. decaf coffee w/ 1/4 can full fat coconut milk

Exercise (4:40 a.m.):  Rebounder, 6 minutes; 2 sets of 10 unweighted squats; 2 sets of 10 wall push-ups (REALLY out of shape here, lol)

M2 (6:10 a.m.):  2 HB eggs, 3 slices bacon, 1 apple, artichoke bottom

Exercise (8:40 a.m.):  Recumbent bike, 22 minutes, 4.1 miles

M3 (11:30 a.m.):  ground beef and tomato sauce over zucchini zoodles w/ a little ghee; olives

M4 (5:00 p.m.):  salad:  romaine, shredded carrots, grape tomatoes, slivered almonds, 1/2 avocado, cucumber; Applegate Organics Roast Beef Slices

Day 13

(Friday, April 4)

Uggg x 3, lol.  I could not get to sleep last night.  Not sure exactly when I DID fall asleep but it must have been a couple of hours after going to bed.  I did eventually fall asleep, but got up at least twice to go to the restroom.  Finally woke up for good around 3:10 a.m.  Sure hoping a Whole60+ will help this, lol.

In addition, or maybe because of not sleeping, I don't feel well today.  Been sneezing more than is usual this morning and have sort of burning eyes thing.  I did come to work, but am seriously thinking of leaving early.  I just tried to eat breakfast but almost felt nauseated when trying to eat my hard boiled eggs and definitely couldn't look at veggies, so M2 is not to template.  :(

M1 (3:30 a.m.):  Egg muffin (1 egg, broccoli/carrot slaw, bell pepper, mushroom), 1 slice bacon, org. decaf coffee w/ 1/4 can full fat coconut milk

M2 (6:40 a.m.):  1 HB egg (just couldn't get the other one down); 3 slices bacon (almost couldn't eat these, now THAT's worrisome, lol); 1 apple (even had a little bit of hesitation with this) -- no veggie  :(

M3 (11:30 a.m.):  grass fed ground beef patty, diced sweet potato, broccoli w/ghee -- I DID manage to get this all down, but my stomach hurts, even about 2 hours later.  I can't even take a deep breath.

I think dinner is going to have to break the template rules by making a protein smoothie.  It will have all compliant ingredients, but it will just be liquid so I can digest it.   The ick that I felt this morning is still there, but the stomach is my Gastroparesis acting up

M4 (5:10):  because of stomach, not template compliant:  protein smoothie:  spinach, a litle bit of shredded carrots, 1/2 avocado, frozen mango, egg white protein powder (NOW brand), full fat coconut milk, filtered water pulverized in my NutriBullet

Day 14

(Saturday, April 5)

Slept better last night and maybe that's because my stomach wasn't trying to digest a huge salad full of raw veggies, lol.  Or just luck.   :)  Still feeling a bit off today, and my stomach is MUCH better than yesterday, but does still hurt at times.  I kept breakfast mostly soft foods, and decided to break the template one more time by having a green shake for lunch.  

M1 (5:15 a.m.):  2 eggs scrambled with 2 slices bacon in ghee, with a side of sweet potato.  Sorry, I just couldn't handle the thought of anything else.   :mellow:

M2 (11:30 a.m.):  green shake:  1/4 can coconut milk, 1/2 cup frozen mango, more spinach that I could eat on a plate, egg white protein powder

Not sure about dinner yet. I have a ground beef patty that I didn't eat yesterday, so I may have that, though it doesn't sound good right now.  I bought a spaghetti squash, so I may have that.  Also bought (can you tell I went grocery shopping this morning, lol) some sardines, BONELESS, SKINLESS for sissy's sardines, lol, though I guess my first ever sardine shouldn't be on a day when my stomach is acting up and I might be coming down with a cold.  -_-

M3 (4:10 p.m.):  ground beef patty, lots of asparagus, ghee; a little bit of frozen mango with a little bit of full fat coconut milk

Feeling pretty tired today, haven't been moving around nearly enough either, though I did get on my rebounder for a few minute earlier.

Also having headaches again, pretty bad yesterday, not as bad today, but here and there throughout the day.

Day 15

(Sunday, April 6)

Finally slept better, and also longer.  Still woke up a couple of times, once for bathroom, but fell back asleep until around 4:00 a.m.  Still feeling poorly though.  I took a Zyrtek last evening hoping that maybe I'm just having allergies, but it didn't help much.  Sundays are my Farmer's Market day, and I also needed to go to Target.  I ended up skipping Target completely then just took it very slow to the Farmer's Market.  Even then, I went just for the bacon and planned to get some beef and/or chicken stock.  Got the bacon, but they were out of stock...that would have been so perfect today! :(  I DID, however, notice a sauerkraut vendor, so picked up some.  Oddly, I felt like eating some as soon as I go home, so had spoonful, then made breakfast and had more.   :)

M1 (5:40 a.m.):  sorry to say, not to template again, stomach is still off so I had another green shake:  1/4 can coconut milk, tons of spinach, 1 small banana, egg white protein powder.

9:45 a.m. - 9:20 a.m. - walk to Farmer's Market and back (wasn't sure I was going to make it!)

M2 (10:15 a.m.):  3 eggs scrambled with orange bell pepper and sauerkraut, in bacon drippings; 4 slices bacon, fresh mango

M3 (5:10 p.m.):  salad: romaine, shredded carrots, beets, 1/2 avocado, sugar free sausage, 2 oz ground beef, balsamic and olive oil

Took another Zyrtek this evening...still feeling congested and a little off...though the stomach is much better this evening.

Day 16

(Monday, April 7)

Well, I have to say I am feeling MUCH better today...maybe what I was feeling was actually just allergies mixed with a slight flare-up of the Gastroparesis.  Just to make sure, I had one more shake for my early breakfast, but I think I'm good now and can get back to the template.  I also slept better last night again.  Went to bed at 9:00 and woke up around 2:00.  I did wake up once that I remember before that, but didn't get up and eventually went back to sleep.

So, I wasn't sure whether I would be able to give up coffee this week as planned, but my first day was yesterday and today my second day.  I'm feeling fine, lol. 

M1 (3:45 a.m.):  Green shake:  lots of spinach, frozen banana, 1/4 can coconut milk, egg white protein powder

M2 (6:45 a.m.):  2 HB eggs, asparagus, 3 slices bacon, 1 red Bartlett pear

M3 (11:20 a.m.):  Spaghetti Squash, tomato sauce w/ ground beef and a little ghee; sauerkraut

M4 (5:00 p.m.):  Salad:  romaine, shredded carrots, beets, grape tomatoes, slivered almonds, SARDINES (lol), balsamic and olive oil dressing.

Day 17

Day 3 WITHOUT COFFEE, LOL

(Tuesday, April 8)

Slept well again, but again took a Zyrtek.  Tonight I'll try it without the Zyrtek unless that congestion is unbearable.  Aches and pains are up a bit, and yesterday afternoon I had a strange heel ache which felt like a pulled muscle on the inside of my right ankle from the ankle bone to the heel...I could press on the muscle that was hurting.  I did some stretching last evening and I think that's helped.  Can't figure out what that's from other than the fact that I'm trying to make 5,500 steps every day so I've been marching around my house and work, lol.

M1 (3:50 a.m.):  Yay, back to template:  1 egg muffin (1 egg, broccoli/carrot slaw, mushroom); 1 slice bacon; iced red rooibos tea with 1/4 can full fat coconut milk--this was really good and refreshing...might not miss coffee at all if I have this once in a while.  Or every day.  :)

M2 (6:15 a.m.):  2 HB eggs; 3 artichoke bottoms; 3 slices bacon; 1 apple

M3 (11:10 a.m.):  lots of spaghetti squash, ghee, ground beef; ripe green olives

M4 (5:10 p.m.):  salad: romaine, shredded carrots, cucumber, grape tomatoes, slivered almonds, Applegate Org. Roast Beef (whole pkg), balsamic & olive oil.

I did that! I asked my fiancé to pass the "sugar" instead of "salt" 

Needless to say I got a weird look...and then proceeded to salt my asparagus. 

OMG, that is too funny!!  I'm not having food dreams, but I guess it's there in our subconscious somewhere, lol.

Day 18

Day 4 without coffee

(Wednesday, April 9)

The more sleep streak has been broken, lol.  Slept okay from 8:00 p.m. until 1:00 a.m., only getting up once, but never went back to sleep after 1:00...did some stretches laying in bed, then just got up at 2:00 a.m.  Did not take Zyrtek last night.  Still having headaches, but my pain level otherwise seems to be down again today.  Headaches are not a normal occurrence for me, so I think this might be related to the Whole30 in some way, just not sure how.

M1 (2:40 a.m.):  Egg "muffin", 3 slices bacon, Good Hope Vanilla tea iced with 1/4 can coconut milk.

M2 (6:30 a.m.):  A very unusual breakfast....sauerkraut and a big sausage; pear

Not sure when my stomach started to hurt, but I think it was after M2.  My stomach hurts, lol.  If I haven't mentioned it before, I HATE Gastroparesis.  Probably won't have that breakfast again, lol.

M3 (11:10 a.m.):  ground beef w/ tomato sauce over zoodles

At some point this afternoon, I had lower GI cramping.  Very painful.  Stupid defective GI tract.

M4 (5:10 p.m.):  Ribeye steak, asparagus and butternut squash with ghee

Day 19

Day 5 without coffee

(Thursday, April 10)

Sleep was okay last night, but had to take a Zyrtek in order for it to be so.  :wacko:  If I didn't have to work today, I would most probably have fallen back asleep.  Oh well, lol.  I give up.   Tomorrow night (don't want to try on a night where I work the next day) I'm going to try to sleep in the spare bedroom to see if it's my bed.  That mattress isn't any newer than mine, but at least it hasn't been slept on more than a couple of times in the last 20 years.  :lol:  I may also try just taking a melatonin tablet tonight and tomorrow night.

I am still feeling bloated and my tummy really protrudes.  It seems like things just aren't moving through my digestive system very well.  That's the Gastroparesis, but eating so many veggies isn't helping matters at the moment.  I may try soup this weekend which seems to be more acceptable than a smoothie, but honestly, the smoothie satisfies me and I seem to be able to go just as long, and sometimes longer when I have that than solid food.  Maybe that's because it all gets digested...I don't really know.  BUT, I'm still trying to stick to the template, so I'll try soup.  :P

M1 (3:15 a.m.):  Egg muffin (I feel like I should call this something else...muffin frittata, muffin omelet, frittata muffin, lol); 1 slice bacon, Good Vanilla Hope iced tea w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

M2 (6:15 a.m.):  2 HB eggs, 2 slices bacon, roasted asparagus (sooo good), 1 apple

M3 (11:40 a.m.):   salad:  romaine, shredded carrots, grape tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, balsamic and olive oil; ground beef

M4 (5:35 p.m.):  2 eggs fried in bacon grease, 5 slices bacon (cooking up a package tonight, which usually involves eating at least one slice while it's piping hot), butternut squash, asparagus (have to roast more, lol)

Day 20

Day 6 without coffee

(Friday, April 11)

I think I actually slept well, lol.  Got up once for the restroom, but fell back asleep each time, EVEN AFTER WAKING UP AT 2:30, which usually means I don't go back to sleep.  Finally woke up at 3:20.

Yesterday was a strange day...towards the end of my work day I started getting restless legs...I mean I could NOT sit still.  Legs had to move, then it spread to my whole body.  It was uncomfortable, but not painful.  Walked around the office, but only helped temporarily.  Finally it all went away.  I've had that before, but usually at night while trying to sleep and on long plane/car/whatever trips.  I haven't had it in a long time however, so it shocked me to have it during the day when I haven't been cooped up for a long period of time.  I do have a sit-down job, but since I got my VivoFit last week, I've been getting up and walking around frequently to get my goal steps in each day.  Maybe my walking muscles just don't like it.  :lol:

This morning my low back hurts.  Sheesh, lol :rolleyes:

M1 (3:45 a.m.):   frittata muffin :P , 1 slice bacon, iced Good Hope Vanilla tea w/ 1/4 can coconut milk 

M2 (6:25 a.m.):   2 HB eggs, 3 slices bacon, 1 apple, lots of asparagus

M3 (11;10 a.m.):  ground beef, broccoli, butternut squash w/ghee

M4 (5:00 p.m.):  green shake (sorry, but things are just not moving and I need to get something easily digestible in):  spinach (about 3 large handfuls), 1/4 can coconut milk, 1 banana, egg white protein powder, slivered almonds,  cacao nibs, 1/2 avocado

Day 21

Day 7 without coffee

(Saturday, April 12)

Did not sleep very much last night.  I stayed up until around 10:00 p.m., which is VERY late for me.  I slept in the spare room to see if my bed is part of my problem.  I still had pain in my left hip, so that's not caused by my bed.  The other part of sleeplessness wasn't helped either, lol.  I slept okay until midnight, but then just dozed/woke until around 2:00.   I am VERY tired today.

M1 (4:15 a.m.):  green shake (still feeling slow digestion):  lots of spinach, 1/4 can coconut milk, 1 banana, egg white protein powder, couple drops of D3.

Treat while shopping:  Starbucks Passion Iced tea with my own 1/4 can coconut milk (took that with me in a small container for my regular Saturday morning shopping and Starbucks time with my mother and aunt).

M2 (11:20 a.m.):  salad:  romaine, shredded carrots, artichoke bottoms, grape tomatoes, slivered almonds, chicken thigh meat, balsamic and olive oil

M3 (4:35 p.m):  boneless/skinless chicken thighs, about 1/2 of a roasted eggplant (my first attempt in about 20+ years, lol), 1/3 can pureed sweet potato

Okay, I LOVE roasted eggplant.  It's not the first time I've had eggplant--we used to have it frequently when I was growing up, but it was always breaded or had a sauce.  I just roasted it in a baking dish with some olive oil and salt and it was really good.  I sliced it in rounds with the skin on....not sure if I was supposed to eat that though...I think it's edible but as I was eating it, it felt to tough, so with my current stomach issues I decided against eating much of it.

I am sooooo tired today.  I think Ii had a small nap on the couch...maybe about 20 minutes worth.

Day 22

Day 8 without coffee

(Sunday, April 13)

Hum, I think I actually slept okay last night.  I woke up several times, 2 of which were for the restroom, but went back to sleep each time.  Woke up around 3 when my hip started to hurt.  Got up around 4:30 ish.

M1 (5:40 a.m.):  2 fried eggs, 5 slices bacon, eggplant, sliced peaches (frozen organic)

Have made a new batch of egg cups/muffins/frittatas/omelets/whatever  :lol: .  This time I used shredded zucchini and all of an orange bell pepper.  They LOOK good, hopefully they are good. 

I'll be cooking up a small spaghetti squash, my bacon for the next few days, some hard boiled eggs and whatever else I may find at the Farmer's Market today.  The strawberry vendor has been at the Farmer's Market the last two weeks, so I may pick up some of those to freeze if he's there today.  

8:55 am - 9:25 am  walk to/from and around Farmer's Market; sampled a couple of organic strawberries while cleaning them to freeze

M2 (11:30 a.m.):  salad:  chicken thigh meat, romaine, shredded carrots, artichoke bottoms, 1/2 avocado, grape tomatoes, balsamic & olive oil

M3 (4:50 p.m.):  stomach still not normal, but is getting better,  green shake:  2.5 large handfuls spinach, 1 medium frozen banana, a few of those strawberries, egg white protein, 3 drops of D3

Day 23

Day 9 without coffee

(Monday, April 14)

Enough about sleep, lol, I don't think I'll ever get enough.  The lack of coffee/caffeine doesn't seem to be making a difference, but I'll give it more time anyway.

Felt nauseated again last night before bed; came very close to actually having to hurl, but managed to avoid that.  At the beginning, before we knew it was Gastroparesis, we couldn't figure out what the pain and nausea was.  At that time I did have the accompanying hurling which would sometimes last a couple of hours to up to five hours a couple of times a week, and was losing weight very quickly because after a day or two of throwing up, I didn't have an appetite, and eating only a couple of bites of food would keep me full for hours.  I ended up losing 17 pounds in 3 weeks...not a good way to lose weight.  It took them a year to finally getting around to testing me for the gastroparesis and since that time, knowing what it was helped me to avoid more episodes...only one time in the last 5 years since diagnosis.  HOWEVER, the feeling of nausea is fairly common and still do get the pain.  Eating soft or pureed foods is the only thing I can do for it besides taking awful medications (Reglan; erythromycin), so I hope you all understand the shake--it's the easiest thing for me to whip together quickly.

Having said that, I don't plan to have a shake today, lol. :lol:

M1 (3:45 a.m.):  I made a new egg muffin last night, with shredded Zucchini and orange bell peppers, so this morning I had one of those and 1 slice of bacon; just water to drink

M2 (6:25 a.m.):  2 HB eggs, 3 slices bacon, butternut squash, 1 apple

M3 (?):  spaghetti squash w/olive oil and chicken thigh meat (it's a chicken week, lol)

M4 (?):  had to have a shake after all :mellow: :  spinach, frozen banana, a couple of frozen strawberries, 1/4 can coconut milk, egg white protein powder, Vit. D3

You're doing so great! I know it's crazy-hard giving up caffeine. I went from 4 cups/day to nothing about a year and a half ago, and it took at least 2 weeks before I really started feeling the benefits. It's worth it to break that dependency because it's hard to know how much it's affecting your body when you're "using".

I've actually never heard of Gastroparesis but it sounds wicked. Notice any alleviation of symptoms? (P.S. one week left!)

You're doing so great! I know it's crazy-hard giving up caffeine. I went from 4 cups/day to nothing about a year and a half ago, and it took at least 2 weeks before I really started feeling the benefits. It's worth it to break that dependency because it's hard to know how much it's affecting your body when you're "using".

I've actually never heard of Gastroparesis but it sounds wicked. Notice any alleviation of symptoms? (P.S. one week left!)

Thanks!  I think I've decided to go ahead and make this a Whole60, so I have quite a while to go.  I think I should give the coffee thing at least 30 days to really see what's what with it.  That can be my first re-introduction, lol.

Not many people have heard of GP, lol.  It literally means paralyzed stomach or slow stomach emptying.  It's common in people with diabetes, but otherwise, not widely known.  I think I either got it from an infection (have had plenty) or one of the two abdominal surgeries I've had.  No alleviation of symptoms, but I didn't really expect the Whole30 to help in this particular regard, except perhaps in an indirect way.  Raw fruits and veggies are contraindicated with it, so I have been cooking most of my veggies almost mushy, with the exception of the salads which I may have to cut out for a while.  I am having an apple once a day, but I may have to cut that out too.  I know bananas aren't the best choice of fruit on the Whole30, but they sit well with me.  :)

Day 24

Day 10 without coffee

(Tuesday, April 15)

Slept a bit better last night.  I've been taking a bunch of Melatonin the last few nights, and not sure if that's helping or not, but I'm thankful for any improvement.  :)  Stomach felt off again yesterday, so I did have a green shake, but that wasn't sitting well either so ended up not drinking the whole thing.  :rolleyes:

M1 (3:45 a.m.):  Zucchini/Bell Pepper Egg Muffin, 1 slice bacon

M2 (6:20 a.m.):  2 HB eggs, 3 slices bacon, artichoke bottoms, 1 apple

M3 (11:10 a.m.):  spaghetti squash with artichoke pesto and olive oil; chicken thigh meat; olives

Ugg, having headaches again...they just won't seem to go away.

M4 (5:00 p.m.):  protein shake...sorry stomach was off again

Day 25
(Wednesday, April 16)

Ugg, did not sleep at all.  Nothing.  Possibly 1 hour between 2:00 - 3:00 a.m.  My own fault, did something stupid yesterday and those kinds of things tend to weigh on my mind.

Snack (4:35 a.m.):  I didn't feel like eating this morning and since I got up so much later than I usually do, I just had an iced decaf coffee with 1/4 can coconut milk and 1 slice of bacon to hold me until I got to work.  I forgot to take out one of my frittata muffins, so they were frozen solid.  :(

So I went a whole 10 days without coffee; this morning's cup was the first in 10 days.  So far I'm not noticing any affects from it, but then it was org. decaf. 

M1 (6:15 a.m.):  2 HB eggs, 3 slices bacon, 4 artichoke bottoms, 1 apple

M2 (11:10 a.m.):  spaghetti squash with artichoke pesto, chicken thighs, black olives

M3 (5:00 p.m.):  shake:  egg white protein, coconut milk, almonds, frozen strawberries

Day 26

Restart no coffee
(Thursday, April 17)

Slept MUCH better last night.  Was tired, but also took 2 melatonin capsules.  Today may be another tough day at work, but at least I have some sleep.  :)

M1 (3:40 a.m.):  Egg/Zucchini/Pepper Muffin, 1 slice bacon, iced tea w/ 1/4 can coconut milk

M2 (6:22 a.m.):  1 HB egg (these are getting hard to get down, I'll have to come up with a better protein source for this meal); 4 artichoke bottoms, 4 slices bacon, 1 apple

M3 (11:30 a.m.):   chicken thighs, butternut squash w/ ghee, pureed sweet potato, 1/2 avocado

M4 (5:00 p.m.): salad:  romaine, grape tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, 2 Applegate Chicken & Apple sausages, slivered almonds, balsamic and olive oil

Was VERY, VERY tired today, especially in the afternoon and early evening.

Archived