WholeBunchOJunk's 2nd Whole30 Log

WholeBunchOJunk

I was talking to a friend of mine this week who has been feeling pretty icky lately--not really sick, but maybe feeling like she may have a food allergy, lack of energy, etc.--and so mentioned that she should check out Whole30. 

I successfully completed my first Whole30 last August, but since then have completely fallen into really bad habits.  My conversation with my friend kept rattling the little pieces of my brain that know I should ALSO be doing that, so yesterday afternoon just decided to go for it.

I've printed off my shopping lists, made a menu for the coming week and tonight will locate my copy of the book which is SOMEPLACE in my wreck of a house.  :)

Tomorrow will be grocery shopping, then Sunday will be my official start day, though I may have enough to actually start tomorrow.  I definitely don't have enough stuff for the whole day, but I just need to get through breakfast before shopping, then the rest of the day I'll have plenty of stuff.

Not much has changed for me since last year.  I let stress get the better of my eating and I'm paying for that with a LOT of excess weight, achy joints, lack of energy, etc.

Some of the things I hope will improve (not in any specific order):

1.   Sleep patterns

2.   Energy levels

3.   Motivation

4.   Sense of well-being

5.   Clothing fitting better

6.   Loss of weight

7.   Reduce inflammation

8.   Better fitness (which has deteriorated greatly in the last couple of years)

9.   Learn more about why I eat things and when; discover what triggers certain behaviors

10. Reduce joint pain

I'll add more to that list if I think of anything else.

Edited to add medical issues:

As background, some of my other medical issues:

1.  Menopause (definitely in menopause)

2.  Gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying) -- raw fruits and veggies are contraindicated for this, so may have to do adjustments.

3.  Celiac Disease

4.  Mild dairy "allergy" (gives me sinus infections if I eat too much)

5.  History of pre-cancerous growth at the bile/pancreatic duct opening

6.  Allergies....all kinds

2014 Reintroduction log:  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/19318-wholebunchojunks-post-whole60-log/

My original log:  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12365-wholebunchojunks-log/

My re-intro log:  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13225-wholebunchojunk-reintro-log/

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back! Just wrapped up my 3rd Whole 30 this week. After my first, I stayed pretty much on the W30 path until the holidays then went off the deep end after. Struggled through a second W30 last summer. Went way off the path after that again. Now I'm in a better place and looking forward to keeping to the paleo and Whole 9 path this time. I feel like each time I learn a little more about myself, my triggers, and how I handle foods. So each time is progress! Best wishes.

Today is my unofficial start date, lol.  I'm compliant after my grocery shopping, but breakfast was not.  Tomorrow will be the real thing, but I'm still going to 100% compliant for the rest of the day.

So, I've taken my measurements, weighed myself (ugg, lol), taken "before" photos and have done my grocery shopping.  Tomorrow will be a trip to Target then a walk to the Farmer's Market for more goodies.

I hate to post this, but my starting weight this morning is 192.4.  Wow.  The measurements were even more shocking.  

Here's my day so far:

M1:  Coffee with a little coconut oil, blended; 5 slices Wellshire Farms pre-cooked bacon...this is NOT compliant.  The coconut/almond milk is compliant unless they have hidden ingredients...it's just coconut cream and almond milk (filtered water, almonds); the "meal" was also not compliant because it did not follow the template. :)

M2:  A really big salad:  romaine lettuce, artichoke bottoms, shredded carrots, ripe green olives, grape tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, 1 can salmon; balsamic and olive oil

Not sure about M3 yet.  I had an idea about a veggie soup last night....don't quite have all the stuff to make it today, but my trip to the Farmer's Market tomorrow should do it.  I'm NOT a cook in any sense of the word, so this will be interesting to say the least, but I want something that I can heat up quickly as a snack and this seems like a good solution to fit the template.

I've also been craving asparagus, so I may have that for dinner tonight.

Edited to Add:

every once in a while I surprise myself

Meal 3 was:   Cod, asparagus, butternut squash, ghee

So, I HATE cooking.  Never wanted to learn and still don't.  I do the absolute minimum amount in order to keep myself alive, lol.

But every once in a while I surprise myself.  Dinner was delicious!  I mean yummy.   :)  Maybe I was just hungry, but it was good.   :D  I'm a one-frying-pan kind of gal, so cooked the asparagus in ghee for a while, put a splatter screen over that, on top of which I put the mostly frozen butternut squash to steam.  Once those were kind of soft, I added the cod to the pan.  Lazy, but oh so good! :)

Day 1 (Official)

Yesterday went well, though I was kind of hungry before bed.  I snacked on a small handful of ripe green olives, but that didn't really take the hunger completely away....

And, that might be why I didn't sleep well.   :)  It went okay from 8-12, but then at midnight I never went back to sleep.  I lay in bed until around 3:20 or so, then just got up and made breakfast. :)  I know my hormones are completely messed up, so I'm really going to try the eating within an hour thing, but am worried then that three meals will not be enough.  I may end up doing 4 smaller meals instead.

My normal sleep patterns are that I wake anywhere between 2-4 a.m. every day.  On a work day I'll just get up at 3, on weekends I like to try to stay in bed as long as possible.  Waking so early means that by 8:00 pm, I'm done.  I go to bed at 8:00 almost every night.  If I do that, I seem to get a good 4 hours of sleep before I start waking up. If I stay up later, it seems like I don't even get those 4 hours.  The later I stay up the longer it takes to get to sleep and then I STILL wake up around 3:00.  Grrrr, lol.  I'm not one who wants to sleep massive amounts of hours, I'd just like to get 7.   :)  And, it doesn't seem to matter whether I drink coffee or not, whether it's decaf or not, and sometimes caffeine HELPS me sleep, lol.  I'm stumped, and over the years I've tried so many things re sleep, but nothing seems to change.

Okay, enough whining...I'm going to post a question on one of the other board about the eating within an hour of waking in light of that last paragraph.

Breakfast (3:40 a.m.):   3 eggs, 1 Applegate Organics Chicken & Apple sausage, mushrooms, orange bell pepper, 1 artichoke bottom, all cooked in ghee; 1 packet Starbucks Via Christmas Blend with 1/4 cup coconut milk, filtered water and 1/4 tsp cocoa powder, blended

8:45 - 9:15 a.m.:  walk to and from the Farmer's Market where I picked up some sugar free bacon, sausage and bacon ends, a nice funny looking pear and some sprouted almonds.

Lunch (10:15 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.):  3 strips rustic bacon, duck breast w/skin, salad: romaine, shredded carrots, 1/2 avocado, a few ripe green olives, a few slivered almonds, balsamic & olive oil.  Why is my time period so long, lol?  

As I said before, I do not like to cook, so I had a little timing issue, lol.  First, I had to cook up a couple of packages of that rustic bacon I bought, then had to put the duck on.  Surprisingly I wasn't hungry until I started to cook the bacon, so sampled my three strips as I was cooking.  Then once I put the duck on I assembled my salad...but was hungry so ate about half....then my duck was ready, so added that to what was left.  Not exactly to the template ideal, but not horrible I guess.

Day 2

I slept MUCH better last night, though watched too much History Channel, who decided to run programming about atrocities and those awful images kept popping into my head any time I did wake up.  <_<  No more history channel for a while, lol.  I don't need any help in the weird images department.  :lol:

I think I've decided to go as long as possible on the Whole30...I mean that I think I need more than 30 days to reset YEARS of abuse, so I'll do at least 60 days and maybe more.  One thing I remember about my Whole30 last year was that I remember thinking that I could eat that way forever...I was satisfied, didn't miss my sugar, etc.  I will probably always miss cream in my coffee, but we'll see about how strong that is after I finish Whole60.  :P   I also think sometimes I may need more than the standard 30-days-to-make-a-habit.  ;)

I went to bed around 8:00 last night, woke up around midnight for a potty break, back to bed, then eventually fell back asleep.  Woke one more time around 1:30 for another potty break (can you say water weight loss, lol), then dozed until around 3:00.  Got up not long after that.

Was not hungry, but as soon as I got ready, I went downstairs and while packing my lunch, had a small meal to hold me until I have my bigger breakfast which I'll have soon now that I'm at work.

I'm cutting way back on coffee this week as well, and my plan is to cut it out completely by next week.  I don't think I've ever tried to cut it out completely for any length of time and this may be a great time to try.  For now, just having 1 cup early in the morning if I want it, but the rest of the day will be herbal tea or water.  That's going to make cutting out dairy a lot easier to maintain.  :P

M1 (3:30 ish):  1 hard boiled egg, 1 slice sugar free rustic bacon, 1 artichoke bottom, 1 C water;  Coffee with a couple of tablespoons of full fat coconut milk (would have been more but it was in the refrigerator and I couldn't get it out of the container by squeezing it, lol)

M2 (6:30 a.m.):  1 hard boiled egg, 1 apple, 3 slices bacon, small handful ripe green olives

M3  (11:25 a.m.):  pasture raised ground beef, lots of broccoli w/ghee, 1/4 can pureed sweet potato

Oh wow, around 1:00 to 2:30 I had a massive headache.  Massive, lol.  Must go look at the schedule thingy.  Okay, looked at the schedule...I'm pretty excited!  :D  Last year when I did my Whole30, I never really had any of the timeline woes listed.  I'm right on schedule!!!!!  Whooppeeee, lol!

To Come:

M4 (5:00 p.m.):   salad:  romaine, shredded carrots, slivered almonds, grape tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, 1 can crab meat, olive oil and balsamic

Day 3:

Well, didn't sleep any better than the night before...went to bed at 8:00, woke up about every hour until 1:30, then did not go back to sleep.  Stayed in bed until 2:40, then just got up, got ready for work, ate a snacky breakfast.

After that one massive headache yesterday, I felt pretty good...had very slight remnants of that headache for a few moments a couple of times, but it wasn't bad at all.  I'm feeling a bit ditzy today, so maybe I'm now slightly ahead of the timeline, lol.

M1 (3:10 a.m.):  1 HB egg, a very small handful of ripe green olives, 1 slice bacon, iced coffee:  1 packet Starbuck's Via Christmas Blend, 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk, 1/2 cup coconut/almond milk, filtered water over ice

M2  (6:15 a.m.):  1 HB egg, 3 slices of bacon, a few more olives, 1 small apple

M3 (11:30 a.m.):  ground beef, asparagus, butternut squash 

M4 (5:10 p.m.):  salad:  romaine, shredded carrots, 1/2 avocado, slivered almonds, Applegate Organics Sliced Roast Beef, grape tomatoes, cucumber, balsamic & olive oil 

I had a very slight headache again around 1:00 p.m., but it was barely noticeable and went away in about 10 minutes.  Also feeling a bit ditzy.  :)

Welcome back!

I know this isn't your first rodeo.  A gentle reminder that for the best results, it's recommended that all your meals have 1-3 cups of vegetables. Some of your meals are missing them or seem a bit light in that area. Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.  Your planned meals 3 and 4 today look good.

Thanks Chris!  I DO struggle with veggies in the mornings.  When I'm not working, I make an omelet with lots of veggies because generally I get up a bit later when I feel more like eating, so timing of meals is better and I can generally stick to 3 meals.

I think what I'm going to have to do is make egg "muffins".  I can make up a big batch of eggs, put in my regular veggies, bake then freeze them.  I don't like to "cook" at all, so it's hard to make myself do that every workday morning...I think the "muffin" is the only answer, lol.  Maybe by the end of 60 days I might grow to like making an early breakfast, who knows.

FWIW, I don't like cooking at breakfast either, so I don't.  :) 

I rotate through several baked frittata/quiche/casserole recipes that make 4-6 servings at once. I make them in the afternoon or evening, so I cook once and have breakfast for 4-6 days. Started that habit when I did my Whole30 last June and have kept it up since - works for me.

Actually, maybe I'll try making it tonight.  :)  I bought some broccoli slaw that might just be perfect for this...think it's just broccoli and carrots.  I have sausage and/or bacon, I have plenty of coconut milk, some orange bell pepper...  I think I can, I think I can!

Day 4 

(Wednesday, March 26, 2014)

Wow, I slept a lot better last night.  Woke up at 11:30 ish for potty, then back to sleep.  Woke up a couple more times after that but went back to sleep each time.  Yay, lol.  Hope that sticks!  Another thing I noticed this morning...I'm in a lot less pain!  My foot is almost completely better, but the toe I stubbed a few weeks ago has been very painful, even a couple of days ago...not so much today.  My shoulder and hand which I injured at the beginning of January, are remarkably less painful than just a couple of days ago.  Not sure if this is just a coincidence or not--I HAVE been seeing doctors about all this stuff and they've had me splinted, taped, supported, etc., but it's just remarkable the difference today.

I'm feeling a little extra congested this morning as well...detoxing??  Hopefully, lol.

I tried my egg muffin experiment last night and they actually turned out decent, lol.  That's pretty amazing.  Shocking even.  :lol:

I don't have pie pans, cast iron skillets or any of the usual things that people have in their kitchens so I did my own thing taking ideas from some of the recipes for frittatas and muffins I found on the web yesterday...put in my own ingredients.  Used 12 eggs, almost 1 Applegate Organics Chicken & Apple Sausage, almost the whole container of Broccoli Slaw (broccoli and carrots), a little orange bell pepper and mushrooms for 12 muffins.  Next time I think I'll sauté the slaw first...it didn't cook as much as I thought it would while baking, but it's still good...I think I'd like it just a little softer though.

M1 (3:45 am):  1-1/2 egg muffin (sampled the other half as I pulled them out of the oven last night), 1 slice bacon, 1 cup coffee w/ 1/4 C full fat coconut milk

M2 (6:30 am) (as I'm typing, lol):  3 slices bacon, 2 artichoke bottoms, 1 HB egg, that remaining small piece of the sausage from the recipe

M3 (11:15 am):  Ground beef, broccoli slaw (1+ cup--it filled my plate, lol), ghee, 1 apple

M4 (5:00 pm):  Salad:  romaine, grape tomatoes, shredded carrots, slivered almonds, 1/2 avocado and 1 Applegate Organics Chicken and Apple sausage; balsamic and olive oil

Day 5

(Thursday, March 27, 2014)

Slept fairly well again...about the same as the night before.  Woke up a few times, but went back to sleep again.  And, like yesterday, I have less pain today...pain about the same level as yesterday, which is MUCH less than it was a couple of days ago.  Still amazes me!

M1 (3:40 a.m.):  Egg muffin (egg, shredded carrots and broccoli, orange bell pepper, 1 slice of apple & chicken sausage, couple slices of mushroom); 2 slices bacon; coffee with 1/4 can full fat coconut milk and filtered water to make 1.5 cups.

M2 (6:15 a.m.):  2 HB eggs, 4 slices of bacon, 1 apple, olives, cauliflower

M3 (11:10 a.m.):  ground beef, cauliflower mashed w/ ghee, 1/2 avocado

M4 (5:25 p.m.):  ribeye steak, asparagus sautéed in ghee, diced sweet potato (from frozen)

Had a VERY mild headache in the later part of the evening and still feeling a little more congested than normal.

Had trouble getting into the forum yesterday for some reason.

Day 6

(Friday, March 28, 2014)

Oh oh, didn't sleep as well last night...woke up at midnight and did not go back to sleep.  Got up around 2:20, hungry, lol, got ready, then cooked me up a package of bacon for the next couple of days.  I noticed that I have slightly more pain than the last couple of days...my shoulder and wrist/hand in particular, was uncomfortable during the night.  Still feeling a little more congested than normal...I sound nasally to myself, lol.

M1 (2:40 a.m.):  1 egg muffin (egg, carrots, broccoli, mushroom & tiny bit of sausage); 1 slice bacon, 3 slices of some weird kind of pear (LOL, I think it's an Asian Pear); coffee w/ 1/4 can of full fat coconut milk and a little coconut/almond milk

M2 (6:15 a.m.):  2 HB eggs, 3 slices bacon, a few slices of pear, ASPARAGUS (hey Moderator GFChris, see, I'm trying, lol)

M3 (11:10 a.m.):  Ground beef, broccoli w/ ghee, apple, olives

1:32 p.m. - Having a mild round of headaches this afternoon

M4 (5:00 p.m.):  Leftover ribeye steak, cauliflower mashed with ghee and maybe a little coconut milk and garlic powder

If you're struggling to include veggies, I've found that oven-roasting just about anything makes it better for me. Little olive oil, little salt, then cooked at 400 degrees until whatever level of tenderness I want. Just this week I've roasted asparagus, sweet potatoes, squash (with garlic), carrots (with basil), and cauliflower. I've also done eggplant, brussels sprouts and green beans. 

Day 7

(Saturday, March 29, 20140)

Ending my first week and I AM noticing some small changes.  So far the timeline symptoms are very mild except for that horrendous headache I had earlier in the week.  I feel like interspersed between the sleepless nights, I'm sleeping better on those nights that I DO sleep.  Joint pain and the pain from my injuries are less that just before I started, so that is a big plus.  Clothing, etc. are feeling about the same, so nothing noticeable there yet.  But, I'm actually liking what I'm eating and am feeling like I'm accomplishing something.  I'm actually feeling a bit more mentally healthy as well...for the first time in a few years I'm actually ALMOST feeling like organizing the house.  Almost, but at least I'm having the thought.  That's new, lol.   :lol:

M1 (4:45 a.m.):  3 egg omelet with broccoli slaw and mushrooms cooked in a little bacon grease; 3 slices bacon (didn't finish that last slice though); coffee (the last pack of Via Christmas Blend) with full fat coconut milk.

Snack (8:40 a.m.):  1 slice of bacon; 6 grape tomatoes; cup of decaf coffee w/ full fat coconut milk.  Snack because this morning is very full...just finished grocery shopping and have to leave in a few minutes for an appointment with my tax person.  Wasn't enough time to prepare a full meal, hence the bacon, and was too long a time to wait for the next one.

So, I'm prepared for the scolding, but I weighed myself today.  In my defense, I am a daily weigher...have been for the last 40 years.  It's so ingrained in my daily routine that I don't think much about it and it certainly has nothing to do with my expectations from the Whole30, But, BECAUSE of the Whole30, I've decided to try for only 1 a week.   :ph34r:  It's hard.   :)

M2 (12:00 p.m.): Salad:  romaine, cucumber, shredded carrots, a few ripe green olives, slivered almonds, 1 Applegate Organics Chicken and Apple Sausage, balsamic & olive oil dressing.

M3 (4:30 p.m.):  6 oz boneless/skinless chicken thigh, butternut squash, cauliflower all cooked in ghee; 1/2 Asian Pear; chamomile tea

Food looks good so far today.

Please please please hide the scale for the rest of your Whole30. It will be there, if you so choose to use it and not throw it away, when you're done.

This is such a core concept and rule of the program. It's only for 3 more weeks - you can do it! :)   One day at a time ... focus on things other than your weight for the next 21 days. Treat it as an experiment - bring some curiosity to the process. 

Food looks good so far today.

Please please please hide the scale for the rest of your Whole30. It will be there, if you so choose to use it and not throw it away, when you're done.

This is such a core concept and rule of the program. It's only for 3 more weeks - you can do it! :)   One day at a time ... focus on things other than your weight for the next 21 days. Treat it as an experiment - bring some curiosity to the process. 

Okay (she says grudgingly, lol).  I'll do it.  And, I'll like it.  Maybe.   :lol:

Day 8

(Sunday, March 30)

I think I slept well, lol.  I say that because I'm still feeling tired and sleepy.   I went to bed at 9:45 last night because I just wasn't tired or sleepy, but ended up falling asleep fairly quickly (I think, lol).  I woke up at 11:30 for a potty break, the next thing I know it's 3:30 a.m.  Stayed in bed until 4:05 then just got up and fixed breakfast.  On the one hand I feel like I slept well, but just not long enough.  That's a bit of an improvement, lol.

Last week I drastically cut down on the coffee I was drinking...normally I would have the equivalent of 3 grande sized cups of some combo of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee in those. But last week was just the one large cup.  My original plan was to cut it out completely this week, but have decided to make it organic decaf only for this week, then next week cut it either in half or out completely.  I'm already having some mild headaches so I think a gradual decline might be a better idea.  Since I'm going longer than 30 days, I think I'll have plenty of time to reset that part of it.

So, up for the day is my weekly trip to the Farmer's Market, fixing lunches for the week, maybe a bit of straightening up around the house,and relaxing,

M1 (5:00 a.m.):  My version of a "frittata".  :lol:  Knowing nothing about these things, I'm not sure what constitutes a frittata over an omelet or just a bunch of stuff thrown in a pan (which is more likely what mine is).  It consisted of ghee in a small frying pan into which I saute'd some red bell peppers and shredded zucchini and added 3 lightly beaten eggs and once that was getting fairly well set, I spread crumbled of bacon (2 slices) spread evenly, then flipped the thing so the other side would cook, slid it on my plate and enjoy.  To accompany my gourmet meal, a cup of decaff coffee with 1/4 can coconut milk.

Exercise (8:50 - 9:20 a.m.), walk to the Farmer's Market and back

M2 (11:00 a.m.):  Salad:  romaine, grape tomatoes, slivered almonds, 1/2 small avocado, sun dried tomatoes (just a couple, diced), chicken thigh meat; olive oil & balsamic ... and right before I had this I sample 3 strips of bacon.

M3 (5:00 p.m.):  Chicken thigh meat, asparagus, butternut squash, bacon grease; 1 small apple; chamomile tea

Day 9

(Monday, March 31)

Hum, well again, it seems like I slept well, and I AM feeling a little less tired today, but still don't think I got a well rested sleep.  I think overall I probably slept longer and better than the night before, but still not enough.  Maybe I need to change my mattress, lol.  Ended up taking a Zyrtek yesterday afternoon and that cleared up some of the congestion I've been having.  Hated to take it, but I do think it helped me to sleep a bit better.

M1 (3:30 a.m.):  Egg muffin (1 egg, shredded broccoli & carrots, mushroom); 2 slices bacon; coffee with 1/4 can full fat coconut milk.

M2 (6:15 a.m.):  2 HB eggs, 3 slices bacon, 2 artichoke bottoms, 1 apple

Exercise:  10 minutes on the recumbent bike at work.

M3 (11:10 a.m.):  grass fed ground beef patty, broccoli, shredded carrots, diced sweet potato; ghee and an experimental sauce made with tomato sauce and a little bit of balsamic vinegar

1:00 - 3:40 p.m.:  Uggg, soooooo vvveeeerrrrryyy tired, lol.  I could crawl under my desk and take a nap.  I think I skipped the Kill All The Things stage and went straight to I just want a nap.  :P  Not feeling the boundless energy that is usually found around this time, and not really wanting a Twinkie either, but I HAVE been craving olives all day...wouldn't you know it, the one day I don't bring any.  B)

M4 (5:20 p.m.):  cod, salad:  romaine, grape tomatoes, cucumber, 1/2 avocado, slivered almonds, balsamic & olive oil; 6 slices of frozen peaches fried with the cod (ha, surprised myself again).

Archived