Honey in Sports Supplement

DeanoMontreuil

So, I know the answer is "no, not during a whole30", but I thought I'd confirm.

I run long distance events lasting 24 hours or longer and reading the ingredients on a supplement (Vespa) designed to assist in fat burning metabolism during long endurance activity I found that it contains honey (5 grams).  

So, my first thought is that it will be off limits until after my whole 30 is complete -- but then I thought that maybe it's more like fruit juice to sweeten a sauce, I'm really not interested in the honey, but that's how the supplement is composed.

Expert ruling . . . ?

• Moderators

No, not during a Whole30. 

And not that I am an expert on supplements, but adding honey (sugar) to a supplement that is supposed to assist in fat burning metabolism sounds like fraud. First, I am skeptical that a supplement can facilitate improved fat burning. Second, honey is a fast-burning carb that your body would burn rather than drawing upon fat stores. 

I'm still stuck on the 'events lasting 24 hours of longer' part.   :o

My femur would be broken by hour 6…

If you are convinced it works, try using royal jelly, bee propolis and wasp extract and not the packaged product?

My guess is that honey gives you the mental boost from the sugars quickly being utilized by the brain and not the muscles in your legs.

Archived