Starting my first whole 30 tomorrow! A bit intimidated!

Stolz100

Hi all! I'm starting the whole 30 tomorrow, on April 1st, and it is not a joke! I'm doing it with a group of coworkers and I am really looking forward to seeing how my body responds and changes. I can't lie though, I'm a bit intimidated! This sounds really intense but I know it'll be worth it. Any advice from veterans out there? 

Hi all! I'm starting the whole 30 tomorrow, on April 1st, and it is not a joke! I'm doing it with a group of coworkers and I am really looking forward to seeing how my body responds and changes. I can't lie though, I'm a bit intimidated! This sounds really intense but I know it'll be worth it. Any advice from veterans out there? 

Congratulations! Here are some tips that helped me. Check out my "another whole30 timeline" for some laughs. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/15995-another-whole30-timeline/

Look up some quick and easy recipes for those days when you don't want to cook. Have stuff on hand so you can make this without having to go to the store. Read every label twice. Did you know there is soy in some canned tuna? There is also soy and stevia in tea? There is also sugar in bacon. Good luck finding any without sugar. You may just have to give it up on your whole30. You will live to tell the tale. http://whole30.com/2012/03/bacon/

Be careful when someone wants to cook for you. They mean well but they usually don't understand the rules, they will use flour, butter, wine, or non compliant broth and not realize that they just caused you to restart on day 20. I would avoid restaurants if you can. They usually marinate meat in non compliant ingredients or add things to make it taste better (like sugar in your club soda). You may get bored of eating around the third week. Nothing will sound good, this is totally normal check out this post. http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/.  Take this time to try some new recipes or try a new vegetable.

Make sure you eat as close to the timeline as possible. Yes that means 2 cups of veggies at breakfast (meal 1). http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf. Don't beat yourself up if you slip up. Just keep going. The last thing you want to do is accidently eat bacon with sugar and feel like you failed and then inhale a chocolate cake. If you just ate the bacon, you can just keep going, if you ate the chocolate cake you would have to start over even if you are on day 25. You can do it!

I'm starting tomorrow too! I really need some support as well, even though I feel like I've been a veteran for several years now. I lost a ton of weight the first time I went strict paleo, but my weight came back from Lyme Disease, and now I'm scared I won't follow through with all 30 days.

I look forward to finding some support here. Good luck to you all!

Hi all!

Stolz100 and TrailRunner- I started Whole 30 today. It's been interesting since I was feeling so awful with the tummy bug yesterday. Didn't even eat what I had planned out for today as it just didn't sound appetizing and I wasn't sure it would stay down. LOL

Had a little organic chicken broth right before lunch to see how that would settle and was then able to move on to my hamburger "stew". That was very  yummy and stayed down even! LOL

I have a headach but I'm assuming that's because I haven't eaten much today and I usually drink a ton of water (however it normally would have Crystal Light in it) and I haven't had as much today due to the fact that it is plain water. Not sure how I feel about that.

I have found that I REALLY want to go to the crackers and peanut butter that are my go to foods when I'm doing the overnights here at work. That and Chinese food! Ugh! Why did I choose TODAY to start? Oh right, because it was on a Monday. LOL

I have never done Whole 30 before so my hope is that I can find some friends and we can all support each other as we go through this journey together!  :)  

Thanks for "listening" everyone!

~Stephannie

Hey Stephannie! Ugh - I'm nervous to start tomorrow since I've had unrelenting nausea every day for the last few weeks, and depend on gluten free crackers to take the place of my meals. I understand the sick "flu" feeling of not wanting to touch anything you have prepared! Through my first strict paleo challenge, basically a Whole 30, I ate alot of those steamer vegetables in the bag (from the frozen section), and a ton of baked chicken, seafood and broth. I remember the bad headache, which I'm not looking forward to tomorrow - but I get it. It really sucks! I know this is probably frowned upon, but way back then, I would grab a little bit of decaf coffee before 2pm to relieve that headache, take some migraine meds, and then go to bed as soon as I got home from work. After the first few days, I felt much better. But oh it sucked at first!

As time went on, I adapted other recipes that I liked, and there are a few that really comfort me, especially during those chip cravings, or oatmeal cravings. I believe they are all whole30 approved-type recipes, but don't take my word for it.

I love making brussel sprout and kale chips (Separately). That is just kale or brussel sprout leaves/shavings, doused in 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil/MCT oil, and then baked in the oven until crispy - be careful, these can burn easy and typically do when  using less oil/more kale. Since MCT oil, which is basically coconut oil, is heat tolerant up until 320 degrees F, I bake them on 300, and usually only for 12 to 15 minutes. Again, the less oil I use, the closer to 10 minutes that I take them out.

Additionally, when I'm nauseated, and out of gluten free crackers, I eat a coconut paleo wrap. Those are found at Julian Bakery's website, and while they were Whole30 approved for a long time, they aren't anymore. They still are only coconut, so they are useful to have around.

My absolute favorite is grain-free porridge from Practical Paleo's cookbook. The coconut porridge recipe is here: 

2 tbsp almond butter; 1/4 cup shredded coconut; 6 tbsp warm water or full fat coconut milk; 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp cinnamon; 1 tsp raw honey or maple syrup (optional)

Combine all ingredients into a small mixing bowl; transfer to a sauce pan and heat over a low flame until it reaches your desired temperature.

The only other tip I have is what I eat for breakfast almost every day. Every weekend I make 10-12 egg muffins, made with just a dozen eggs, sauteed chopped veggies and some cooked sugar-free bacon or sausage mixed in. Sometimes I add leeks. You can do this with whatever ingredients you want, but take all of that, mix it up in a bowl, and pour into a greased muffin pan. They have a coconut pan spray from Kelapo out now, though I haven't tried it to know if it's any good, but you could just rub the inside of each cup with coconut oil.

I know this is a lot of info but I figured some of this might work for you. As much as Tums is not ideal, keep it with you. Water will get easier to take over time; don't make yourself sick. If it's not manageable you won't stick with it. But remember, the longer you do this, the easier it gets.

Awesome to hear you've pretty much made it through your first day! I'll be cheering you on through day 2, especially as I hit Day 1 tomorrow (and have to give up my heavy cream!)!

I love making brussel sprout and kale chips (Separately). That is just kale or brussel sprout leaves/shavings, doused in 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil/MCT oil, and then baked in the oven until crispy - be careful, these can burn easy and typically do when  using less oil/more kale. Since MCT oil, which is basically coconut oil, is heat tolerant up until 320 degrees F, I bake them on 300, and usually only for 12 to 15 minutes. Again, the less oil I use, the closer to 10 minutes that I take them out.

Additionally, when I'm nauseated, and out of gluten free crackers, I eat a coconut paleo wrap. Those are found at Julian Bakery's website, and while they were Whole30 approved for a long time, they aren't anymore. They still are only coconut, so they are useful to have around.

My absolute favorite is grain-free porridge from Practical Paleo's cookbook. The coconut porridge recipe is here: 

2 tbsp almond butter; 1/4 cup shredded coconut; 6 tbsp warm water or full fat coconut milk; 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp cinnamon; 1 tsp raw honey or maple syrup (optional)

Combine all ingredients into a small mixing bowl; transfer to a sauce pan and heat over a low flame until it reaches your desired temperature.

Per the updated Can I Have Whole30 guide, chips are discouraged.

Also, the porridge is not Whole30 compliant, due to the vanilla extract. Further, it's not the best choice for a meal, as it doesn't fit the recommended meal template of protein, veg and fat.

Hi all!

Stolz100 and TrailRunner- I started Whole 30 today. It's been interesting since I was feeling so awful with the tummy bug yesterday. Didn't even eat what I had planned out for today as it just didn't sound appetizing and I wasn't sure it would stay down. LOL

Had a little organic chicken broth right before lunch to see how that would settle and was then able to move on to my hamburger "stew". That was very  yummy and stayed down even! LOL

I have a headach but I'm assuming that's because I haven't eaten much today and I usually drink a ton of water (however it normally would have Crystal Light in it) and I haven't had as much today due to the fact that it is plain water. Not sure how I feel about that.

I have found that I REALLY want to go to the crackers and peanut butter that are my go to foods when I'm doing the overnights here at work. That and Chinese food! Ugh! Why did I choose TODAY to start? Oh right, because it was on a Monday. LOL

I have never done Whole 30 before so my hope is that I can find some friends and we can all support each other as we go through this journey together!  :)  

Thanks for "listening" everyone!

~Stephannie

Hey Stephannie! How's your day 2 going so far? My day 1 started well... Eggs, water and coconut milk in some coffee. I'm not looking forward to the flu-like effects that are inevitable, so I have some raspberries on standby, something I rarely let myself have. I typically never have fruit because of the carb-sensitivities, but I'm glad to indulge, especially when I'm giving up so much at once.

I forgot to mention that I slept alot when I had my first challenge, but I don't remember having really good sleep until around night 3 or 4. I hope that doesn't happen for you, but if it does, stick with it. It really only gets better as time goes on.

You're doing awesome!!

I'm not looking forward to the flu-like effects that are inevitable, so I have some raspberries on standby, something I rarely let myself have. I typically never have fruit because of the carb-sensitivities, but I'm glad to indulge, especially when I'm giving up so much at once.

Just a reminder that Whole30 isn't low carb. Get your carbs in by having at least one carb-dense vegetable daily. These include sweet potato, winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips.

Save any fruit to have with or immediately after your meals only.

If you're genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal containing a protein and fat.

And if you get carb flu (not everyone does), keep drinking lots of water.  Aim for consuming at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

TrailRunner,

Hey there! Apparently my reply to you post didn't go through the way that I expected. This was my answer to your Day 2: TrailRunner- Hi there!

Today was MUCH better! Mainly because after having the tummy bug I felt like I could actually eat real food today! LOL
I had an omelet with spinach, green peppers and asparagus for breakfast. For lunch I had a salad with chicken that I had sauteed in ghee and spices. I actually had to save some of it for supper for tonight cause I couldn't eat it all.  Finished that off for supper along with an apple. It felt good to eat full meals again. LOL

How does the coffee with coconut milk taste? I miss my coffee but can't stand the taste of it black. My lack of caffiene headache is finally gone though......I think. LOL

Not sure why that didn't go through. I tried to answer you through the email that was sent to me that you had responded. Ugh, me and technology! LOL

Day 3 is a little better. I'm tired but I'm not sure if that's from pulling the overnights at work the past two nights or part of Whole 30. I also discovered that when supper time rolled around I wasn't hungry. Gathering from the "pep talk" email that I receive that's pretty normal. I will say though, that my lack of caffeine headache is not gone like I thought it was. Ugh! LOL

How are you doing? Any issues yet? 

Hey Stephannie,

I'm good. Glad to hear you're doing well, despite some of the typical issues.

I think the taste of coconut milk in coffee is different for everyone, depending on what you used to drink. I have gotten to the point that I don't like the sugary taste of regular coffee with sweeteners anymore, so I love the creamy taste of coconut milk in my coffee. I also don't need much of it, if any at all, where I used to need alot of it. If you are used to non-sugary coffee and sometimes even black coffee, you might like it.

However, when I first went paleo years ago, I was cutting out my sugary lattes every morning, so I had a very hard time going to black coffee or coffee with just coconut milk. It wasn't creamy or sweet enough.

I hope that helps. Needless to say, after being paleo for several weeks to several months, the bitter taste of black coffee or coffee with coconut milk only is much more palatable. Atleast it is after you have sufficiently killed sugar cravings, because your taste buds seem to shift. Atleast mine did.

I hope this helps.

Archived