The Whole30 remix, or, oops let's start over. (Beginning July 30)

rshows

I've decided to give myself an extra week on the Whole30. On Sunday, I had a half marathon distance long run for my marathon training and I blew it. I was undernourished, tired and couldn't complete the run. In my frustration, I decided to "give up" on Whole30.

How the heck can I get enough energy if I'm low on carbs and want to perform endurance training?, I said to myself.

So, I ate some maple syrup at brunch and ate rice and ice cream at my anniversary dinner.

When I woke up the next morning, I told myself I would mostly follow Whole30 but add complex carbs on training days. I can't afford to jeopardize my first goal and priority, the marathon. But I couldn't get myself to do it. I felt so crummy on Monday that I didn't want to risk going back to where I was before. One day has led to another and I am resigned to fuel myself in other ways than rice or bread.

One mistake I made was limiting fruit intake. I was nearly obsessive about not consuming things I shouldn't and was afraid to eat too much fruit. I've corrected this mistake this week and seen great results in my energy just by having 3 or 4 servings of fruit on my running days rather than the usual 1-2.

Now, starting fresh from Monday, the 30th, I'm moving forward having learned from experiments my first week. I feel stronger and more determined. I wouldn't recommend to a friend that they start this program while training for an endurance event. It's enough stress on my body, particularly not experienced, to complete the actual training. But this is my story and this is the time I've chosen to make these changes. So be it.

My first day off-plan will be my 31st birthday. Can't wait to see how that woman looks and feels.

Rebecca

• Moderators

Try eating a baked sweet potato every day while training. I bake mine 90 minutes at 350 degrees. You can eat them with less baking time, but the longer time makes them soft and, I think, sweeter. You could eat a sweet potato on the run.

Try eating a baked sweet potato every day while training. I bake mine 90 minutes at 350 degrees. You can eat them with less baking time, but the longer time makes them soft and, I think, sweeter. You could eat a sweet potato on the run.

To piggy-back on Tom's post, I brush mine with melted coconut oil and bake them naked in the oven like that. They are so so good! Even cold :)

My runs are getting better! I feel stronger! I've been tempted with cheats here and there the past few days. Someone brought this really yummy-looking zucchini bread to work yesterday. I visited it in the kitchen multiple times to smell it, look at it and wish it would disappear. I was so happy when it was finally gone!

I've been putting a lot of work and thought into fueling the day before and day of long runs. It seems to be paying off. More sweet potatoes and squash, a little more fruit, staying fully hydrated, etc. I've also followed the pre and post workout eating guidelines and they work so well.

My husband has been super supportive but it's gotten harder because I messed up a couple of times and started over. I think he's confused about how committed I am but I"m making it more clear. Last night he had to eat a plate of broccoli rabe by himself because he threw soy sauce in it. He was frustrated but got over it. He's been seeing what positive effects this has had and has also benefited himself even though not following a strict Whole30. He just doesn't understand when I try to convey the irresistible delicious allure of fresh-baked zucchini bread. This kind of food ain't his area of weakness.

Feeling good on Day 9 but missing chocolate chip cookies.

Archived