if you only have carbs..

rocks223

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I often am unable to get a meal in directly after a workout and used to just have a piece of fruit or granola bar. I'm a competitive runner and much more conscious of which energy substrates I'm using since starting whole 30. Found some raw almonds at racetrac on my way home:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I often am unable to get a meal in directly after a workout and used to just have a piece of fruit or granola bar. I'm a competitive runner and much more conscious of which energy substrates I'm using since starting whole 30. Found some raw almonds at racetrac on my way home:)

Almonds would actually count as fat, not protein. Fat hinders the ability of your body to get the protein where it needs it, thus the template recommendation for protein + carbs for your POST WO meal, protein + fat for your PRE WO meal.

My go-tos: tuna or salmon in a pouch. No need to refrigerate, portable, perfect protein post workout.

I am with Tom, it is only half of what you need. Taking in carbs will maintain your blood glucose without the need for breaking down muscle. Maintaining blood glucose levels will always be your bodys top priority, so it will break down muscle to to provide amino acids which is turned into glucose. However, carb alone won't provide the building blocks neede to repair the muscle you damaged during training, so it will not aid recovery that way. I try to keep pre-boiled eggs at hand. They easily survive a day in my purse. :)

Almonds would actually count as fat, not protein. Fat hinders the ability of your body to get the protein where it needs it, thus the template recommendation for protein + carbs for your POST WO meal, protein + fat for your PRE WO meal.

My go-tos: tuna or salmon in a pouch. No need to refrigerate, portable, perfect protein post workout.

Ultrarunnergirl, Which brands of tuna and salmon pouches do you use? I picked up a can of tuna out of my pantry that I used to eat before W30 and it was nowhere near compliant. Thanks.

• Moderators

Ultrarunnergirl, Which brands of tuna and salmon pouches do you use? I picked up a can of tuna out of my pantry that I used to eat before W30 and it was nowhere near compliant. Thanks.

Whole Foods has Wild Planet brand, no bad ingredients!

I just checked, the other pouches I have at home are Bumblebee Premium (also bought at Whole Foods).

Archived