Help me make a good choice?

sknapp

If anyone has a few spare minutes and wants to play "decipher the menu," then here's my challenge: I have to meet some work colleagues tomorrow night at the restaurant below. I will already be out of place by ordering my soda water, as they will most likely all be drinking a beer and having big meals. I'm happy to eat ahead of time so I'm not starving, but I'd still like to order something off the menu so I'm not standing out so much. I've read ISWF and the dining out guides, so I have some good info to go on, but wondering what you'd all order?

Hoping not to interrogate the server with tons of questions about how everything was cooked, but I can see on the bottom of their website that they do indeed cook in "non trans fat soy or canola." Yuck!

http://hopleaf.com/menus/dinner/

(You can also download their PDF menu, which I guess is more current, according to their website... if you're really, really curious!)

Thanks for the input! Such a pain -- I'm almost done with Whole30 and I wish this dinner could just be postponed a bit until I have a tiny bit more flexibility.

PS -- Would prefer NOT to get the big steak dinner, as it is quite expensive and I'm not really that into steak, but wondering if steak is most likely the only thing not cooked in the soy/canola. Ugh.

You could call ahead, ask to speak with a manager and get help figuring out what everything is cooked in. I didn't look at the link you provided, but perhaps there is a salad that does not have "cooked" food so you won't have to worry about what it is cooked in. And, I like your idea of eating ahead.

I would get the grass-fed steak and ask for NO marinade and NO butter then omit the fries and get a double side salad with lemons. Or get the salmon (but be sure to find out what it is seared in).I don't like getting cooked vegetables at a restaurant...makes me really nervous. I picture them pouring nasty oils all over it and laughing like villains. :wacko:

Ok...I just saw you don't want the steak...I don't blame ya on the money point. This restaurant is going to be tough to be compliant. Maybe you could get the mussels belgian style without the wine and a side salad? You should definitely eat beforehand. Good luck!! Let us know how it goes.

Reporting back that I did indeed eat ahead of time. When I got to the restaurant, one of my other co-workers mentioned she wasn't eating either, so I felt more free to decline the meal and just stick with soda water. Thanks, everyone, for all the help!

Archived