Bonus Whole30 benefit: food rescue skills!

GlennR

I've always been an okay cook, but the pressure of constantly cooking during my Whole30 is upping my kitchen skills a couple of notches -- particularly when it comes to salvaging some cooking disasters.

On Day 6, I made slow cooker pot roast for dinner that turned out really dry and tasteless. I thought I would have to toss the whole batch out -- until I remembered the extra chicken gravy I had tucked away in the freezer (thanks for the tip, Nom Nom Paleo!). Thawed it out, poured it over the dry beef for lunch on Day 7, and voila! Tasty, moisty protein goodness.

Then last night I first undercooked London broil (blood everywhere!), then overcooked it in a panic trying to save it. Ended up with meat the consistency of rubber. Solution? Just assume the initial disaster meant I was just browning the meat. I diced it into bite size pieces, tossed them into the slow cooker with whatever veggies I could scrounge in my fridge (butternut squash, kale, onions). Poured some beef broth over the whole pile, sprinkled lots of herbs, turned the cooker on, and went to bed.

And I wake up in the morning with delicious beef stew ready for me for breakfast!

Forget all the health benefits; I'm glad I'm doing the Whole30 just for the improvement of my culinary skills!

Check out my photo journal of my Whole30 at: http://glenn-ricafrente.blogspot.com.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter brought home an apple with a few bites out of it from her school lunch yesterday. I sliced it up in my mandoline, tossed it in coconut oil and made it into delicious apple chips in my oven using the lightbulb over night. But I've always been like this. I almost never throw out food.

• Moderators

I've always been an okay cook, but the pressure of constantly cooking during my Whole30 is upping my kitchen skills a couple of notches -- particularly when it comes to salvaging some cooking disasters.

On Day 6, I made slow cooker pot roast for dinner that turned out really dry and tasteless. I thought I would have to toss the whole batch out -- until I remembered the extra chicken gravy I had tucked away in the freezer (thanks for the tip, Nom Nom Paleo!). Thawed it out, poured it over the dry beef for lunch on Day 7, and voila! Tasty, moisty protein goodness.

Then last night I first undercooked London broil (blood everywhere!), then overcooked it in a panic trying to save it. Ended up with meat the consistency of rubber. Solution? Just assume the initial disaster meant I was just browning the meat. I diced it into bite size pieces, tossed them into the slow cooker with whatever veggies I could scrounge in my fridge (butternut squash, kale, onions). Poured some beef broth over the whole pile, sprinkled lots of herbs, turned the cooker on, and went to bed.

And I wake up in the morning with delicious beef stew ready for me for breakfast!

Forget all the health benefits; I'm glad I'm doing the Whole30 just for the improvement of my culinary skills!

Check out my photo journal of my Whole30 at: http://glenn-ricafrente.blogspot.com.

Awesome! You are Kitchen Ninja!

I have gone to that Nom Nom Paleo gravy many times myself. IT IS THE BOMB!

I overcooked an uncured pork ham the other day and have been tossing it into breakfast. Still a little tough but runny egg and tender, juicy veggies sure help.

Archived